Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 01:38 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,729,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Blah, blah, blah.

The bottom line is you simply are NOT equipped to handle NY not being absolutely number one in any and ALL categories. Period.
you didn't read the thread son. you're posting on page 29 about some ish you have no idea about.

check my first couple of posts. it was never about NY winning the thread, being on top, etc.

but keep swinging from bajan's yankee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
You're talking about being united when your basic philosophy is:

New York = right

Everybody else (espescially you southern folks) = backward

I think you're the one that needs to be educated.
you should enroll in the earliest night class and make sure that your teacher covers reading comprehension.

apparently your first grade teacher has failed you.

i'm already doing my part to help educate bajan, i'm booked and don't have time to help you out with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 01:42 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
you didn't read the thread son. you're posting on page 29 about some ish you have no idea about.

check my first couple of posts. it was never about NY winning the thread, being on top, etc.

but keep swinging from bajan's yankee.
You need to step back, SON.

I have read the entire thread, I found no need to comment until I had had my total FILL of your ridiculous drivel. The fact that you started telling the rest of us to get educated is over the top, even for you.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:46 PM

492 posts, read 1,026,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It is relevant, even though the issue seems somewhat peripheral.

The bottom line is that eek does not want to admit that NYC does not come out on top in something. If this thread were titled, "Cities with the richest West Indian culture," he would undoubtedly be spewing facts about all the different West Indian groups in NYC. As far as Philly vis-a-vis NYC, I'd have no argument. Case closed. Now that the debate is one about the cities that have the richest African American culture, eek is crying "divisiveness," "racism," and every other "ism" because it so offends him that some other city may outpace NYC in some relatively banal category. That's really what it's about.

But for the record, Philadelphia has a more pronounced African American influence than NYC. Now run and tell that! Homeboy!
Yeah I know but I just wanted someone to point out what the debate was really about..... lol!

Old 09-07-2010, 01:47 PM
eek

anybody that says something like:

they wouldn't consider a northern city for this thread
pr, dr, cuba aren't a part of the west indies
ny lacks a soul (in relation to this thread)
black culture is fleeing from nyc
african american culture and west indian culture doesn't go hand in hand in nyc

needs to be educated.

the harlem renaissance? that was real.
the govt's definition of the west indians? thats real too.
black culture (african american) not existant or prevalent or whatever word you want to use in ny due to gentrification? that is false.
african american culture in nyc not going hand in hand with west indians? that has been proven time after time in this thread by me and others to be false.

i have posted examples in the form of articles, youtube vids, etc.

yet no examples with proof of this fake ass division have been posted. none. not one.

so yes, somebody, rather, some ppl need to educate themselves.

i paid attention during black history. obviously some ppl didn't.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:49 PM
eek

and again, it was never about ny coming out on top but it was about ny being in the discussion in the first place (and ny "having a soul").

because some ignorant person said (and another agreed) that the north shouldn't be considered for this thread. the north includes chicago, nyc, boston, philly, etc.

i posted examples to counter that. ppl from other areas were free to do the same for their area. some ppl did (oakland, chicago, etc.).

others talking about how west indians and african americans are separate did not.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:51 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,054 times
Quote:
Asking a Puerto Rican if he's West Indian is akin to asking a Marylander if he's a Southerner. Historically, Hispaniola was a part of the West Indies, just as Maryland was a part of the slaveholding South. But just as Maryland has, for all intents and purposes, divorced itself from the South and created a new identity (Mid-Atlantic), PR and the DR have pushed away from the label "West Indian." They don't consider themselves West Indians and West Indians don't consider them West Indians. It's sorta how Georgians won't recognize Washingtonians as southerners and Washingtonians don't consider themselves as southerners. The fact that the city is below the Mason-Dixon line, and therefore geographically part of the South, is immaterial. Does that make sense?
Can you comprehend? I said BEFORE THE ISLANDS SPLIT PR AND DR WERE APART OF THE WEST INDIES and now they may see themselves as "latin". You don't have to give me a history lesson on Hispanola, I did mention I was part Haitian???? smh

Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,213 times
Quote:
It is relevant, even though the issue seems somewhat peripheral.

The bottom line is that eek does not want to admit that NYC does not come out on top in something. If this thread were titled, "Cities with the richest West Indian culture," he would undoubtedly be spewing facts about all the different West Indian groups in NYC. As far as Philly vis-a-vis NYC, I'd have no argument. Case closed. Now that the debate is one about the cities that have the richest African American culture, eek is crying "divisiveness," "racism," and every other "ism" because it so offends him that some other city may outpace NYC in some relatively banal category. That's really what it's about.

But for the record, Philadelphia has a more pronounced African American influence than NYC. Now run and tell that! Homeboy!
Haha!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 01:52 PM
eek

na, let johnatl, uthorn and vacities back bajan's ignorance.

*waits for them to spin detroitloves post as putting nyc on top somehow someway*

Old 09-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,392,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
the three islands are historically composed of three main groups...spanish (whites), tainos (natives), africans (blacks).

so each of these islands majority population is a mixture between at least two out of the three groups.

cuba and dr have higher black populations than pr.
tainos were pretty much wiped out in pr by the spanish.

im not sure which island has the higher white population...

anyway, hispanic only refers to the the fact that these are spanish speaking areas as well as the spanish rule the/background through history.

it has nothing to do with race. latino is from latin and basically refers to their geography in latin america.

what distinction do you mean? what are you trying to say or imply? should they not be called hispanic or latino? is that what you mean?

if that is what you mean then i'd say that these islands are in latin america, the ppl on these islands primary language is spanish (in pr the second language is english and it is taught in schools) so the ppl from these islands are hispanic and latino.

but it doesn't say anything about their race. race is not necessarily equal to ethnicity.

(yes i am aware of the asian populations in each island, etc. etc.)
thank you! really America is one of few places that separate them by the Hispanic/Latino category. In many European countries they are included in the same category as the rest of the West Indians

Old 09-07-2010, 01:54 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,925,927 times
Hip-Hop IS part of African-American culture, and it originated from Jamaican culture, and it originated in NYC. Why are people in denial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City