Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 02:39 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,463 times

Advertisements

Harlem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 02:40 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yep...Bajans are scattered all over. I actually know quite a few families in and around Houston. We also have pretty good numbers in the Philly area, as a number of families get together on Sundays for dinner. I also know a few in the Bay Area.

But by and large, the greatest concentrations of Bajans are in the NYC area and the DC Metro. There seems to be a lot of Bajans in DC.

So now West Indians dominate NYC, huh?
i think boston has more bajans then dc.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:51 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
^^You said yourself that West Indians dominate the Northeast, which includes NYC presumably? How does this square with your previous position that New York is as "soulful" as all of the other cities?

You're slippin, eek, you're slippin, homey!
i said that west indians dominate parts of NYC. NYC and west indians go hand in hand. they are a part of the culture and the fabric of NY, so to speak, IMHO.

we eat west indian food, along with jewish food, along with italian food, etc. here. we listen to everything from al green to celia cruz to bob marley to rakim here.

do they dominate NYC? no. just parts. washington heights (a part of manhattan), spanish harlem aka east harlem aka el barrio (a part of manhattan), etc. for example, are dominated by west indians...but that does not mean the borough of manhattan is dominated by west indians. does that make sense or do you need a venn diagram?

reread what i've said in this thread and other threads.

even with a large west indian population NYC is and was soulful and will always be soulful. we are the home of the harlem renaissance. we are the home of hip hop. we are the home of the apollo. the home of the cotton club and the home of salsa music.

the birthplace of many prominent black ppl over the years and the mecca for many things "black."

west indians have been and will continue to be a part of the "movement" in nyc.

as seen with the examples that myself and others have already pointed out in this thread.

any other questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Harlem.
harlem in itself is a perfect example. harlem is home to many west indians. is harlem soulful and has it been soulful in the past? of course.

typical nyc.

queens is the same way. as is the bronx. as is brooklyn. etc. etc. it is what it is. each borough has a significant west indian population and each is also soulful and has contributed to black culture that has reached the mainstream and dominated this country. period. get out of that what you want, bajan.

*edit*

and does bajanyankee mean to imply that west indians don't have soul and aren't soulful??

Old 09-21-2010, 02:56 PM
eek

many, MANY puerto ricans, dominicans, jamaicans, etc. have soul so i don't know what the argument with that would be.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:57 PM

492 posts, read 1,026,903 times
Harlem is cool.

Not the same as it use to be though..

Old 09-21-2010, 02:59 PM
eek

i don't think english is bajanyankee's first language because his reading comprehension skills are in shambles.

anyway, NYC in general isn't what it used to be IMO. change always happens tho, good or bad.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:00 PM

492 posts, read 1,026,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
many, MANY puerto ricans, dominicans, jamaicans, etc. have soul so i don't know what the argument with that would be.
Jamaicans ... maybe, but the rest i wouldnt necessarily say soul. They have their own vibes but not the black "soooouuuulllll train" or "motown" "temptations" vibe.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:04 PM
eek

what do you think west indians were listening to in the 60's/70's in ny??

also, how do you think breakdancing started and who do you think made up the majority of bboys??

Old 09-21-2010, 03:10 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
and does bajanyankee mean to imply that west indians don't have soul and aren't soulful??
I won't imply it. I'll say it: West Indians don't have soul and they aren't soulful.

"Soul" is a reference to African American culture. "Soul food" means yams, fried chicken, collards, and macaroni, not roti, pelau, and bakes. "Soul music" means Isaac Hayes, the Chi-Lites, and James Brown, and not Gabby, Harry Belafonte and Lord Kitchener. So, no, West Indians are not soulful. They do their own thing. They have flavor, but it's not "soul."

Old 09-21-2010, 03:14 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
In case you weren't clear on the difference...

YouTube - James Brown - Best Dance Moves Ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48qkAy256_M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City