Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 08:59 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
First off.YOU made general statements about "black Americans hating Caribbeans"
I can only speak for what I know.Considering that my best friend is a Nigerian Londoner,A Bajan born American,2(two) Haitian born but Montreal raised(the other half Quebecquois and Haitian),I can assure its nothing but love over here.

In fact I met my Haitian friends from other black Americans.As far as Miami goes,everbody hates everybody and especially the Cubans.In fact thats the only time black caribbs stop hating each other.Just long enough to all hate Cubans. so do not try to act as if its black American hating on you guys.
As I understood KONY statement he was implying about a significant presence on a NATIONAL or at least a major city levell.Mayors,many business, and culture to where it effects the area it encompasses.Thats NOT a hole bunch of areas in the U.S.

All black groups live in the same areas in Atlanta so there is no real discrimination from other blacks here.Its only Caribs in the North wanting the distinction of being separate in census counts.Atlanta blacks generally dont have a problem with each other.

I think in Miami;s situation.It had to do with overwhelming amount of immigrants in one place and one time.
And I would have a problem with any group coming to America to change it to there way of life.Im okay with influence but not overwhelmingly.After all I am American.
no i was just commenting on the person who said west indians were prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 09:02 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,402,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I know for a fact you can now find a good-sized family of bajans that have settled in tiny Cedar Creek, Texas as well as Bastrop. lol
thats crazy i thought bajans were no existant outside of nyc/boston lol.

but then again i remember reading about bajans and in the reading it said that unlike jamaicans , trinis , and haitians - bajans tend to go where their is more importunity which means they don't care where they land just as long as it fits their needs. interesting.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:19 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
When many people think of African-American history, one city that seems to never come across the minds of many people is New Bedford,Massachussetts. New Bedford was a major part of the Underground Railroad. When Frederick Douglass ran away, New Bedford is where he went to.

Paul Cuffee, an Black whaling captain, had ships sail out of NB. Lewis Temple, also African-American, invented the toggle iron, which was very important for the whaling industry in New Bedford, as it helped whalers catch more whales.

Bishop Grace, a New Bedford resident, founded the United House of Prayer For All People.
New Bedford was also the home of some members of the 54th Massachussetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment.

Black History of New Bedford, Massachusetts, the Underground Railroad for Runaway Slaves, Page 2 of 2 - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Douglass reading stirs abolitionist roots: 2/17/03
umm...great!Something else to blame black people about.Killing the whales!!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:44 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
umm...great!Something else to blame black people about.Killing the whales!!
I wasn't trying to get Black people blamed for killing the whales. I only mentioned the contribution to whaling as something bigger, mainly about New Bedford in general.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:09 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
thats crazy i thought bajans were no existant outside of nyc/boston lol.

but then again i remember reading about bajans and in the reading it said that unlike jamaicans , trinis , and haitians - bajans tend to go where their is more importunity which means they don't care where they land just as long as it fits their needs. interesting.
Yep...Bajans are scattered all over. I actually know quite a few families in and around Houston. We also have pretty good numbers in the Philly area, as a number of families get together on Sundays for dinner. I also know a few in the Bay Area.

But by and large, the greatest concentrations of Bajans are in the NYC area and the DC Metro. There seems to be a lot of Bajans in DC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i think the point was that there aren't too many areas outside of the NE and miami where they DOMINATE.

dominating an area is more than just having a large population of a group IMHO.
So now West Indians dominate NYC, huh?

Old 09-21-2010, 10:21 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I wasn't trying to get Black people blamed for killing the whales. I only mentioned the contribution to whaling as something bigger, mainly about New Bedford in general.
That part of Massachusetts has a strong Black history, as many of the Black folks there are of Cape Verdean descent. Many worked in the whaling and shipping industry there. Many people don't think about Massachusetts in terms of AA history, but it is pretty strong there. Can't forget Crispus Attacks who is also from MA too.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
I know people are looking for particular cities, but in my area of Upstate NY, we have a pretty rich history as well.

Jerome H. Holland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Schuyler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

George Franklin Grant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jermain Wesley Loguen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New-York Central College, McGrawville - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alex Haley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Preserving the Past: New documentary forges a link with Syracuse’s black history | syracuse.com

Friends, family, the stars gather for debut gala of documentary on Syracuse's 15th Ward | syracuse.com

Syracuse's black community captured in photos | syracuse.com

The 15th Ward | Syracuse, NY

Williams and the 15th Ward

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Williams_(author)

Ernie Davis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bud Fowler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moses Fleetwood Walker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

John Dove - The Creator of CD Rom Technology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Cash_(baseball) (Check out the trivia section)

Peterboro, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Emancipation Day events returning to Peterboro - oneidadispatch.com

YouTube - Emancipation Day Celebration, Peterboro NY: August 7, 2010

Nathan and Clarissa Green House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
John and Harriet McKenzie House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Booker T. Washington Community Center of Auburn, NY

Harriet Tubman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Harriet Tubman Home, Inc. | Home

Dunbar Association » About

Ithaca -- Greater Ithaca Activities Center (GIAC) (http://www.ci.ithaca.ny.us/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC=%7B40F60521-3F11-4AE4-9B0E-97AC1D61C2B6%7D - broken link)

John W. Jones Museum, Elmira, New York
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_W._Jones_(ex-slave)

I could go on and on, but I think people get the point.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That part of Massachusetts has a strong Black history, as many of the Black folks there are of Cape Verdean descent. Many worked in the whaling and shipping industry there. Many people don't think about Massachusetts in terms of AA history, but it is pretty strong there. Can't forget Crispus Attacks who is also from MA too.
Indeed very true. The man who started United House of Prayer For All People was from Cape Verde and lived in New Bedford. His real name was not Bishop "Sweet Daddy" Grace, but Marcelino Manuel da Graca.

The group that originally sang "More Than A Woman" is not from England, but from New Bedford and of Cape Verdean descent, Tavares. The Bee Gees just copied it afterwards.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:04 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

So now West Indians dominate NYC, huh?
reading comprehension. google it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post

also, while i do recognize and believe that west indians have a presence outside of nyc and miami, they do not dominate outside of miami and parts of nyc, IMHO.
hold on. you obviously couldn't comprehend that sentence so let me spell it out even more:

Quote:
they do not dominate outside of miami and parts of nyc, IMHO.
is that clear enough??

Old 09-21-2010, 01:53 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
^^You said yourself that West Indians dominate the Northeast, which includes NYC presumably? How does this square with your previous position that New York is as "soulful" as all of the other cities?

You're slippin, eek, you're slippin, homey!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City