Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: MI vs OH
Michigan 109 51.42%
Ohio 103 48.58%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 PM

35 posts, read 65,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver111 View Post
Michigan is a much bigger tourist destination than Ohio. Everyone knows that. It's probably the biggest Vacationland in the Midwest.

Why is Northern Michigan filled with license plates from Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana every summer?

I have never heard of a major Ohio tourist attraction like Mackinac Island in Michigan. There is no Ohio equivalent to Petosky, Charlevoix, Harbor Springs, etc.

The closest I can think of is Cedar Point, but that's just a day-trip type place, and it has nothing to do with the state's natural beauty or anything.
Agreed 150%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 12:18 PM

910 posts, read 1,675,971 times
Michigan scenery is 110% better than Ohio's ever will be. I've been there for snowmobiling in the winter and camping in the summer, and always have a great time.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:16 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver111 View Post
Given that everyone on this thread disagrees with you, and that the Michigan roads are clogged with folks NOT from Michigan, you seem to be full of nonsense.

And here are the Michigan tourist numbers, from just two days ago-

Michigan Tourism Booms: Out-of-State Visitor Spending Soars 21%

Michigan Tourism Booms: Out-of-State Visitor Spending Soars 21% - Yahoo! Finance
That's a cool sentence and it sounds really neat if you repeat it in your head multiple times. And I hate to disrupt the online roll that you're apparently feeling rather good about. But you're wrong.

I disagree 100 percent.

If there is any out-of-state plate that infects Ohio more than Michigan's, I'd love to know what it is. And it's not just Interstate 75 south (although I totally understand wanting to get out of Michigan for any destination whatsoever and I-75 south is your quickest escape), it's throughout the Buckeye State, from Cedar Point to downtown Cleveland to the neighborhoods of Cincinnati to all around Columbus to Amish country to the Air Force Museum to Kings Island to Port Clinton for Put-in-Bay to the world-class museums to the nationally ranked zoos to the picturesque college towns to the forests of SE Ohio to, well, anything that's not Detroit.

And, I know you Michigan hacks love to think of your state as some outdoors Utopia - like it's Colorado or something. Well, it's really not. If I want real outdoors, I'll go to Colorado. Or Wyoming. Or Minnesota. Or Tennessee/Kentucky. Or West Virginia. The bombed-out industrial wasteland of Flint wouldn't be my first choice. (Although, I hear Detroit is really cool for those urban adventure types who enjoy exploring inner-city ruins like your crumbling factories, abandoned train stations and hollowed-out department stores that smell of stale urine and burned tires.)

P.S.: Did it ever occur to you that the reason you're seeing Michigan roads, as you say, "clogged with folks not from Michigan," is because so many Michigan natives have moved away from their home state? Thus, when they return to visit unfortunate family members left behind (or to collect what's left of their belongings from storage), they're driving their cars registered to such non-Michigan places as Ohio, Virginia, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Florida, Indiana and any of the other 43 states. Think about it: There's a reason MICHIGAN WAS THE ONLY STATE TO LOSE POPULATION during the most recent census period, and it has nothing to do with the awful music of Marshall Mathers or the woeful play of the Wolverines.

It's admirable that you Michigan fans are sticking up for what's left of your home state. It really is. But, honestly, there's a reason you don't live there anymore.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 05-28-2011 at 11:15 PM..

Old 05-29-2011, 01:20 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
If there is any out-of-state plate that infects Ohio more than Michigan's, I'd love to know what it is. And it's not just Interstate 75 south (although I totally understand wanting to get out of Michigan for any destination whatsoever and I-75 south is your quickest escape), it's throughout the Buckeye State, from Cedar Point to downtown Cleveland to the neighborhoods of Cincinnati to all around Columbus to Amish country to the Air Force Museum to Kings Island to Port Clinton for Put-in-Bay to the world-class museums to the nationally ranked zoos to the picturesque college towns to the forests of SE Ohio to, well, anything that's not Detroit.
This is funny. First of all, did you realize that Michigan is a peninsula and that if anyone leaves the state to travel anywhere by car, at least as far as the Lower Peninsula where the vast majority of the population live is concerned, their only options are to drive through Ohio or Indiana? Duh, you're going to see Michigan plates in Ohio. For you to complain about this is like someone in Georgia complaining that they see Florida plates in their state. And as far as seeing Michigan plates in places off of the highway, that isn't anything special, simply people from one state visiting places in the next state for a quick day trip because it's close and accessible. This is actually a phenomenon that happens all across the U.S., you should read up on it sometime if you're not familiar with it. My dh and I were both born and raised in Ohio and, for what I consider to be obvious reasons, have lived in Michigan for most of our adult lives. As someone who has spent several years in both states, I can say that I see a lot more Ohio plates in Michigan than I ever saw the other way around, other than people passing through Ohio to get to somewhere more interesting and picturesque. The Irish Hills region and Ann Arbor are particularly plagued with the little buggers, but what can you expect, I guess. AA has long been ranked as one of the best, and often THE best college town in the U.S. and attracts people from all over the world, so why wouldn't people from Ohio want a piece of the action too, especially considering how very boring and lacking in amenities NW Ohio is?

I recognize your rote list of "attractions that every native Ohioan pulls out whenever someone notices that their state is flat and boring", I could have written it myself, lol. The fact that you think that Detroit = Michigan is sad, misguided, and disturbing. You should try to come up to our great state sometime, instead of making rash assumptions. You would find that Put-in-Bay is really just a minor wannabe of some of the most beautiful Great Lakes scenery in the country. Besides, with cities like Cleveland, Youngstown, Dayton, and Toledo dragging Ohio down, an Ohioan bashing another state because of its cities is kind of like a pot calling the kettle black thing, isn't it? I'm sure you've heard the old joke: "I spent a week in Cleveland one night." Spot on. Scary, gloomy, and dull, that's Cleveland.

As I said, I have lived in both states for several years each. The only reason to ever go to Ohio now, IMHO, is to visit family who still live there. Other than that, it's complete drive through, fly over country that has little or nothing to offer anyone. Even the one proud tradition that Ohioans had, Ohio State football, has been tarnished by scandal to the point that it has become a laughing stock in the Big Ten ("Liar, liar, vest on fire!")

Michigan may have its problems (what state doesn't?), but one very big thing that it has going for it and that can never change is, simply put, that it isn't O-hi-o, "The Boring State".

Last edited by canudigit; 05-29-2011 at 01:59 AM..

Old 05-29-2011, 10:31 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
That's a cool sentence and it sounds really neat if you repeat it in your head multiple times. And I hate to disrupt the online roll that you're apparently feeling rather good about. But you're wrong.

I disagree 100 percent.

And, I know you Michigan hacks love to think of your state as some outdoors Utopia - like it's Colorado or something. Well, it's really not. If I want real outdoors, I'll go to Colorado. Or Wyoming. Or Minnesota. Or Tennessee/Kentucky. Or West Virginia. The bombed-out industrial wasteland of Flint wouldn't be my first choice. (Although, I hear Detroit is really cool for those urban adventure types who enjoy exploring inner-city ruins like your crumbling factories, abandoned train stations and hollowed-out department stores that smell of stale urine and burned tires.)

P.S.: Did it ever occur to you that the reason you're seeing Michigan roads, as you say, "clogged with folks not from Michigan," is because so many Michigan natives have moved away from their home state? Thus, when they return to visit unfortunate family members left behind (or to collect what's left of their belongings from storage), they're driving their cars registered to such non-Michigan places as Ohio, Virginia, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Florida, Indiana and any of the other 43 states. Think about it: There's a reason MICHIGAN WAS THE ONLY STATE TO LOSE POPULATION during the most recent census period, and it has nothing to do with the awful music of Marshall Mathers or the woeful play of the Wolverines.

It's admirable that you Michigan fans are sticking up for what's left of your home state. It really is. But, honestly, there's a reason you don't live there anymore.
oh wow learn something other than what you see on the news about Detroit smh

Old 05-29-2011, 05:17 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Deer hunters in Ohio are not allowed to use rifles.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:41 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,623,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
This is funny. First of all, did you realize that Michigan is a peninsula and that if anyone leaves the state to travel anywhere by car, at least as far as the Lower Peninsula where the vast majority of the population live is concerned, their only options are to drive through Ohio or Indiana? Duh, you're going to see Michigan plates in Ohio. For you to complain about this is like someone in Georgia complaining that they see Florida plates in their state. And as far as seeing Michigan plates in places off of the highway, that isn't anything special, simply people from one state visiting places in the next state for a quick day trip because it's close and accessible. This is actually a phenomenon that happens all across the U.S., you should read up on it sometime if you're not familiar with it. My dh and I were both born and raised in Ohio and, for what I consider to be obvious reasons, have lived in Michigan for most of our adult lives. As someone who has spent several years in both states, I can say that I see a lot more Ohio plates in Michigan than I ever saw the other way around, other than people passing through Ohio to get to somewhere more interesting and picturesque. The Irish Hills region and Ann Arbor are particularly plagued with the little buggers, but what can you expect, I guess. AA has long been ranked as one of the best, and often THE best college town in the U.S. and attracts people from all over the world, so why wouldn't people from Ohio want a piece of the action too, especially considering how very boring and lacking in amenities NW Ohio is?

I recognize your rote list of "attractions that every native Ohioan pulls out whenever someone notices that their state is flat and boring", I could have written it myself, lol. The fact that you think that Detroit = Michigan is sad, misguided, and disturbing. You should try to come up to our great state sometime, instead of making rash assumptions. You would find that Put-in-Bay is really just a minor wannabe of some of the most beautiful Great Lakes scenery in the country. Besides, with cities like Cleveland, Youngstown, Dayton, and Toledo dragging Ohio down, an Ohioan bashing another state because of its cities is kind of like a pot calling the kettle black thing, isn't it? I'm sure you've heard the old joke: "I spent a week in Cleveland one night." Spot on. Scary, gloomy, and dull, that's Cleveland.

As I said, I have lived in both states for several years each. The only reason to ever go to Ohio now, IMHO, is to visit family who still live there. Other than that, it's complete drive through, fly over country that has little or nothing to offer anyone. Even the one proud tradition that Ohioans had, Ohio State football, has been tarnished by scandal to the point that it has become a laughing stock in the Big Ten ("Liar, liar, vest on fire!")

Michigan may have its problems (what state doesn't?), but one very big thing that it has going for it and that can never change is, simply put, that it isn't O-hi-o, "The Boring State".

For the next 4-6 mos., perhaps longer, the top-of-mind image of Ohio will be...

Jim Tressel

Sorry Ohio.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:20 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,048,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
For the next 4-6 mos., perhaps longer, the top-of-mind image of Ohio will be...

Jim Tressel

Sorry Ohio.
Only for Michigan fans. Perhaps they believe they have a chance of winning this year.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:21 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Only for Michigan fans. Perhaps they believe they have a chance of winning this year.
It's been 4,574 days (almost 13 YEARS) since TSIO last beat Michigan (NOT counting the cheating sweater-vest wins that will almost surely be vacated). The Wolverines own you. Go Blue.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:30 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Also, Michigan is one of the most beautiful states in the country. What does Ohio have that compares to this:

Also, let the Detroit thing go -- it's a tiny part of the state. There are parts of Michigan that are closer to Nunavut than Detroit.

Last edited by northstar22; 05-30-2011 at 11:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City