Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota vs. Texas: Upper Midwest vs. Western South
Minnesota 36 37.11%
Texas 58 59.79%
Neither 3 3.09%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:23 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Awale View Post
I never been to Texas and i dont even want to be there. Every thing i saw there is more than enough.Racist, islamaphobic, anti minorty of all kind, people with big guns every where, very backward fearmongering politicians who always singling out minorities to gain some political and religous gains.Minnesota is nice like they always said i have seen that its true too.
So youre making stuff up about a place youve never been? Thats just screams intelligence.

Funny thing is that I am liberal, I hate racism, Islamophobia, and try hard to sympathize with the struggles of minority groups (Im Arab myself) and Ive been extremely happy in Houston and Dallas. Both great cities and very accepting of all people regardless of any walk of life.

What you are describing doesnt match the Dallas and Houston at the very least. I would go so far as to say Houston might well be the least racist place in the US. Its certainly one of most diverse.

Last edited by Cowboys fan in Houston; 06-27-2017 at 10:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 10:37 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,135,481 times
People are different and have different preferences. If one state gets higher votes, but isn't as good of a fit of the two, the results will be meaningless.

This poll is really just a contest. It's like picking two vegetables and then voting for which one is "better", which can't be done.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:56 AM

On the topic, its really hard to find I state that I would say offers more than Texas all the way around. The only two I would say, objectively, offer more than Texas would be California and New York.

Minnesota is great. I always have a great time when Im there. The Twin Cities are great as well.

I just cant see how Minnesota would, again objectively, offer more than Texas.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:00 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,035,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Awale View Post
I never been to Texas and i dont even want to be there. Every thing i saw there is more than enough.Racist, islamaphobic, anti minorty of all kind, people with big guns every where, very backward fearmongering politicians who always singling out minorities to gain some political and religous gains.Minnesota is nice like they always said i have seen that its true too.
Couldn't be more wrong. I don't even know where to begin with this ignorant post.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:51 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Minnesota by every criteria wins.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:15 PM

80 posts, read 96,698 times
Progressiveness - Minnesota (but you can find it in Texas' larger cities)

Economy - Texas (Minnesota also has a fairly strong economy, just can't compete with Texas)

Culture - slight edge to Texas, both have distinct cultures and some diversity as well

Music - Minnesota, MN Symphony Orchestra is more highly regarded than any in Texas and Minneapolis has the most theater seats per capita after New York City (some may prefer Texas for other genres of music)

Weather - Minnesota, distinct four seasons

Scenery - slight edge to Minnesota, lush green forests and over 11,000 lakes, only the SW part of the state has more boring scenery (Texas has more mountains and some other nice scenery as well, but it is fewer and farther between and the drier landscape does not appeal to me as much)

Cities - no clear winner, the MSP has any metro area in Texas beat for quality of life but Texas has more cities to choose from

Rural areas - not sure

Education - slight edge to Minnesota, MN ranks much higher in pre-college education, both have quality universities with Texas winning out in quantity

Safety - not sure

Last edited by Thorondor; 06-27-2017 at 02:33 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorondor View Post
Progressiveness - Minnesota (but you can find it in Texas' larger cities)

Economy - Texas (Minnesota also has a fairly strong economy, just can't compete with Texas)

Culture - no clear winner, both have distinct cultures and some diversity as well

Music - Minnesota, MN Symphony Orchestra is more highly regarded than any in Texas and Minneapolis has the most theater seats per capita after New York City (some may prefer Texas for other genres of music)

Weather - Minnesota, distinct four seasons

Scenery - slight edge to Minnesota, lush green forests and over 11,000 lakes, only the SW part of the state has more boring scenery (Texas has more mountains and some other nice scenery as well, but it is fewer and farther between and the drier landscape does not appeal to me as much)

Cities - no clear winner, the MSP has any metro area in Texas beat for quality of life but Texas has more cities to choose from

Rural areas - not sure

Education - slight edge to Minnesota, MN ranks much higher in pre-college education, both have quality universities with Texas winning out in quantity

Safety - not sure
How well do you know Texas?

In regards to culture, Houston and Dallas are far, far more diverse than the Twin Cities. Its not even close.

Does MSP have any metro in Texas beat for quality of life? Thats a matter of opinion. You wont find the diversity of cultures, the international nature, the quality of restaurants, and overall opprotunities in MSP that you find in Dallas and especially Houston. MSP is simply much smaller and much less diverse.

No argument that MSP and Minnesota are far more progressive than Texas. I do envy that about Minnesota.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:32 PM

80 posts, read 96,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
How well do you know Texas?

In regards to culture, Houston and Dallas are far, far more diverse than the Twin Cities. Its not even close.

Does MSP have any metro in Texas beat for quality of life? Thats a matter of opinion. You wont find the diversity of cultures, the international nature, the quality of restaurants, and overall opprotunities in MSP that you find in Dallas and especially Houston. MSP is simply much smaller and much less diverse.

No argument that MSP and Minnesota are far more progressive than Texas. I do envy that about Minnesota.
Been there a couple times, but not to Houston or Dallas. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know all there is to know about Texas. I think they all have their cultural strengths. I'll give you that Houston and Dallas have more diversity. Depends on which culture you enjoy most (maybe TX should get the slight edge for more variety).

Just going by what I've heard and read for quality of life. I think MSP has a better quality of life overall, but that doesn't mean Dallas or Houston don't offer a lot as well (and more in some areas).

Old 06-27-2017, 03:34 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,300,050 times
Let's see:

- The raw acreage of land under forest cover in Texas exceeds that of Minnesota
- More varied topography in Texas, with areas of higher elevation than Minnesota
- More diversity in climate/landscape than Minnesota

Anyone who does their research can see that Texas kills Minnesota when it comes to natural beauty. It's really should be no contest, but perhaps I underestimated the handicap of stigma...

Old 06-27-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Let's see:

- The raw acreage of land under forest cover in Texas exceeds that of Minnesota
- More varied topography in Texas, with areas of higher elevation than Minnesota
- More diversity in climate/landscape than Minnesota

Anyone who does their research can see that Texas kills Minnesota when it comes to natural beauty. It's really should be no contest, but perhaps I underestimated the handicap of stigma...
I think the problem is that, while what youre saying is true, there a is alot of Texas that is just downright ugly. Minnesota isnt really ugly anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City