Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Boston or Montreal?
Boston 76 43.18%
Montreal 100 56.82%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:41 PM

312 posts, read 436,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I don't think I've seen a city populace with more beautiful women than Montreal.
Miami or San Diego in the United States.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:39 PM

522 posts, read 715,471 times
Montreal hands down. Its beautful botanical garden. La Ronde, fabulous restaurants and of course St. Catherines Street. Boston is old hat because I know it like the back of my hand having grown up in MA. But you cannot beat the italian food in the North End. Cannolis to die for.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:09 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
yea but when you talk about blacks haitians dominate in both cities. Thats a huge comparison i thought about immediately when i saw this thread.
When I think of Boston, the last thing I think about is Haitians. I think the are a ton more in South Florida and Brooklyn NY, isn't there?

For Boston, I think of Irish and Italians, than I think of multitudes of Portuguese-speakers - Brazilians, Portugal-Portuguese, Cape Verdians, etc.

Than from there I think of Vietnamese for Asians....and to a much lesser extent I'd think of Haitians, but way down the list.

However, when I think of Montreal, I predominately think of French, than quickly think of Haitian/Carribbean as the next group.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:06 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
When I think of Boston, the last thing I think about is Haitians. I think the are a ton more in South Florida and Brooklyn NY, isn't there?

For Boston, I think of Irish and Italians, than I think of multitudes of Portuguese-speakers - Brazilians, Portugal-Portuguese, Cape Verdians, etc.

Than from there I think of Vietnamese for Asians....and to a much lesser extent I'd think of Haitians, but way down the list.

However, when I think of Montreal, I predominately think of French, than quickly think of Haitian/Carribbean as the next group.
Actually, Boston has the second largest concentration of Haitians outside of Haiti proper.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 AM

422 posts, read 815,617 times
Just returned from labor day in Montreal. I will give my thoughts below. Please be forewarned that I have traveled to the following: Amsterdam, Auckland, Berlin, Cologne, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Lima, Melbourne, Paris, Sydney, Toronto and every top 20 US city except Seattle. I would consider myself somewhat well-traveled. I love Boston. I'm considering pursuing my PhD there. However, Montreal is absolutely one of the top 4 places that I've visited in life. Language barrier doesn't exist. Culture is at a premium. Cuisine is diversified. Ethnicity is well represented. Entertainment is plentiful. Street level has visible 20 hour pulse. And the locals are inviting. Boston is tied for 2nd for my favorite US cities with SF, both behind NY. Montreal only trails NY, Sydney and Melbourne as my 3 favorite world favorites. This is all opinion based. Trust me, our taste varies from each other. One of us are correct no matter how many stats we throw out. I'm basically sharing my experience as someone who just returned.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 AM

252 posts, read 735,739 times
Montreal is also famous for smoked meat, yum...I can almost taste it

Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
I selected Montreal but is there really a bad choice, both cities are winners IMHO

Old 09-05-2012, 03:17 PM

10 posts, read 19,071 times
I prefer Montreal. Unique culture, great nightlife, good shopping, lots to do. Has the excitement and vibrancy of a big city, yet it has a nice laid back attitude as well.

Boston appears to be overrated on CD. Don't get me wrong it is a nice city..very clean, lots of history, good colleges and universities, good urban bones. However, the thing that I never liked about Boston is that it seems to lack energy and vibrancy compared to other cities close to its population size, e.g. DC and Miami. For a city that gets a lot of hype and importance, it should to have more "umph" to it IMO.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,358 times
A chick ranked in the top 10% for hotness in Boston would be average or below in Montreal.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:55 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavender123 View Post
I prefer Montreal. Unique culture, great nightlife, good shopping, lots to do. Has the excitement and vibrancy of a big city, yet it has a nice laid back attitude as well.

Boston appears to be overrated on CD. Don't get me wrong it is a nice city..very clean, lots of history, good colleges and universities, good urban bones. However, the thing that I never liked about Boston is that it seems to lack energy and vibrancy compared to other cities close to its population size, e.g. DC and Miami. For a city that gets a lot of hype and importance, it should to have more "umph" to it IMO.
Yea, Boston does seem to be missing that vibrancy. I think better night bus service/mass transit is one thing that can probably do wonders for changing Boston around, but there's probably something more in some kind of ingrained stodginess which transit will not fix.

Montreal's such an incredible city and it seems committed to getting even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City