Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does your city have a good network of skyways and underground tunnels? (either or just one)
My city only has the underground tunnels 14 23.33%
My city only has the skyways 11 18.33%
My city has both underground tunnels and skyways 30 50.00%
My city doesn't have either of the two 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:39 PM

235 posts, read 344,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
Oklahoma City has a nice tunnel system as well as a few sky bridges connecting buildings. By using a combination of the tunnels and sky bridges you can get pretty much all across downtown.
BUT WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO? The weather is never so miserable in OKC (or most american cities) to prevent you from walking down the street. Seriously, you C-D people are always lamenting the lack of urban street life downtown in US cities and here you go celebrating something totally anti-pedestrian. I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 02:58 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLnSAV View Post
BUT WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO? The weather is never so miserable in OKC (or most american cities) to prevent you from walking down the street. Seriously, you C-D people are always lamenting the lack of urban street life downtown in US cities and here you go celebrating something totally anti-pedestrian. I don't get it.

In many ways I completely agree - Minneapolis (winter) or Houston (summer) probably have more need/beneficial aspects as the outdoors can be extreme but overall Yes I agree this is in concept potentially anti vibrant, almost more like a mall placed under or over the city.

I know in my city they are mostly used for access to commuter rail and subways; and at times in inclement weather as an alternative which may make sense for the winters in Minneapolis and summers in Houston in that vain.

My question would be are these more worker related to facilitate movements or are they built to be more of part of the urban fabric, where the people congregate during not only work hours but evenings and weekends too.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:26 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
I don't have a picture or a map, but the Des Moines skywalk system is around 4 miles long, contains oveer 150 stores, and connects over 30 square blocks of the downtown area. It's the largest in the USA outside the Twin Cities.

Their downtown is unusually large and dense for a city its size, and over 80,000 people work each weekday in the downtown core's 12,000,000 sf of office space. Their class A office space occupancy has held up extremely well during the downturn - being 95% occupied in the CBD as of the end of 2009. The skywalk system comes in handy when it's very hot or cold outside.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 09-22-2010 at 03:34 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 PM

102 posts, read 118,222 times
Toronto has a massive underground walkway system, and a few skyways here and there.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 PM

571 posts, read 1,172,907 times
My city of Seattle has only a couple of skywalks - weather is too mild to warrant too many, but there are some tunnels linking a few of the major office towers downtown, as well as the LINK light rail system which runs completely underground through downtown.

Spokane, WA has a fairly extensive skywalk system with about 16 blocks interconnected. Eastern Washington's harsher winters and summers warrant it moreso than Seattle.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:53 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Alas, I don't live in Chicago.
That needs to be changed.

By the way, I knew the map was outdated as hell, I literally had to ask myself, "why cant I remember the Chicago network being this large before?" Mehh but its always hard finding maps and pictures of specific things for Chicago.

Thanks grapico for having the updated map for the thread. And nice pictures too. Architecturally Chicago just has everything you could possibly want right then and there.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:58 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
best skyway ever...

phillippe petite on world trade center...

http://kenyonreview.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/petit3a.JPG (broken link)

Old 09-23-2010, 09:09 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJKirkland View Post
My city of Seattle has only a couple of skywalks - weather is too mild to warrant too many, but there are some tunnels linking a few of the major office towers downtown, as well as the LINK light rail system which runs completely underground through downtown.

Spokane, WA has a fairly extensive skywalk system with about 16 blocks interconnected. Eastern Washington's harsher winters and summers warrant it moreso than Seattle.
I thought it was awesome, but I don't think many people would consider the weather in Seattle mild

Old 09-23-2010, 09:24 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,545,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Danny View Post
That needs to be changed.

By the way, I knew the map was outdated as hell, I literally had to ask myself, "why cant I remember the Chicago network being this large before?" Mehh but its always hard finding maps and pictures of specific things for Chicago.

Thanks grapico for having the updated map for the thread. And nice pictures too. Architecturally Chicago just has everything you could possibly want right then and there.
Yeah, yeah. I've visited tons of times and if there would be a place I'd move to, it would be Chicago. I'm too much of a midwesterner to go anywhere else

Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 PM

571 posts, read 1,281,576 times
I like how in some of Houston's literature for tourists it lists the Houston tunnels as something "to see". In reality, if you work/live downtown, they're pretty dang convenient but by no means are they "cool"....at least in my eyes. When I started living downtown/working downtown, I got lost in them so many times :-(

I'd go in one entrance and THINK I was going in the right direction and end up like 10 blocks away from where I wanted to be...even with a map :-(

Gotta admit though, there are some sweet restaurants down there and it sure beats walking street level in the summer...especially w/ a shirt and tie on...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City