Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
San Diego 52 54.74%
Minneapolis 43 45.26%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 11:42 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
The one I don't get at all is the education battle....can this be measured in any way? I just doubt that SD has a better overall education system than Minneapolis, but I am willing to be pleasantly surprised!
I think Minneapolis most likely has a better K-12 system as CA's public schools generally aren't that great except in upper middle class and wealthy neighborhoods and SD is no exception. As far as I know Minnesota's public schools rank fairly high, especially compared to CA. But SD does have better universities, especially UCSD, which ranks much higher than anything in Minnesota. So for K-12 I'd say Minneapolis is better but for higher education San Diego is better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
That's interesting about UCSD, I never knew it was that highly touted! Is it private? I am not trying to give you homework but do you have a source that shows how UCSD compares to schools like the U of Minnesota, St. Thomas, Hamline, etc.? I was just under the impression that Minnesota's smaller private schools are the ones that hold most of the weight in terms of "excelency", but I know nothing about them (I went to Ohio State University).

Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
That's interesting about UCSD, I never knew it was that highly touted! Is it private? I am not trying to give you homework but do you have a source that shows how UCSD compares to schools like the U of Minnesota, St. Thomas, Hamline, etc.? I was just under the impression that Minnesota's smaller private schools are the ones that hold most of the weight in terms of "excelency", but I know nothing about them (I went to Ohio State University).
UCSD is one of the top universities of UC system, behind Berkeley and LA... I don't know much about k-12 comment. UCSD is on up there though...

just for instance USNWR has UCSD as 35th, Minnesota is 64...

University of San Diego is also top 100 nationally... and San Diego State isn't that bad either.

To put things in perspective, UCSD is better than Ohio State as well in pretty much every field. I think they both might have a better law program but that is about it.

UC system is all public.

Last edited by grapico; 09-24-2010 at 11:58 AM..

Old 09-24-2010, 12:00 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
UCSD is one of the top universities of UC system, behind Berkeley and LA... I don't know much about k-12 comment. UCSD is on up there though...

just for instance USNWR has UCSD as 35th, Minnesota is 64...

University of San Diego is also top 100 nationally... and San Diego State isn't that bad either.

To put things in perspective, UCSD is better than Ohio State as well in pretty much every field. I think they both might have a better law program but that is about it.
Another similar study has UCSD at 14th in the world and the U of M at 28th.

As a student at the U of M, I can attest to it being an absolutely excellent university. It deserves much better than its 64th ranking in USNWR.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:03 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,916 times
My ratings are basically identical to Blackouts.

In addition to the U of M, the Twin Cities also have a large number of private liberal arts colleges. Macalester College in St Paul was ranked 20th in the nation by US News, plus two other liberal arts colleges in nearby Northfield, also ranked high (Carleton at 28 and St Olaf at 36). There's also: Augsburg, St Thomas, Hamline, Concordia, Mpls College of Art & Design, St Catherines, Bethel. The advanced education opportunities in the Twin Cities area go well beyond the U of M.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
My ratings are basically identical to Blackouts.

In addition to the U of M, the Twin Cities also have a large number of private liberal arts colleges. Macalester College in St Paul was ranked 20th in the nation by US News, plus two other liberal arts colleges in nearby Northfield, also ranked high (Carleton at 28 and St Olaf at 36). There's also: Augsburg, St Thomas, Hamline, Concordia, Mpls College of Art & Design, St Catherines, Bethel. The advanced education opportunities in the Twin Cities area go well beyond the U of M.
Very true. Unfortunately, outside of Minnesota/Midwest not many people hear about these smaller liberal arts and private colleges in the area.

I find it cool driving from downtown Minneapolis to downtown St. Paul on 94, that you see at least half a dozen street signs pointing to colleges and universities in the area.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Another similar study has UCSD at 14th in the world and the U of M at 28th.

As a student at the U of M, I can attest to it being an absolutely excellent university. It deserves much better than its 64th ranking in USNWR.
Yeah I wasn't saying it is bad or anything, UCSD is just a bit better, probably overlooked with the other UC's sometimes. I have no affiliations with either.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah I wasn't saying it is bad or anything, UCSD is just a bit better, probably overlooked with the other UC's sometimes. I have no affiliations with either.
Oh, I know. I was just stating some other rankings. And a lot of flagship state universities are ranked lower than many schools in the UC system, which is incredible. If I lived out west I would definitely try to go to school there.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:34 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
This is the ranking list for USNWR I looked at that compares all the universities in CA and MN.

National Universities Rankings - Best College - Education - US News

#35 UCSD
#64 UM Twin Cities
#94 USD
#124 U of St Thomas
#183 SD State
#183 St Mary's University of Minnesota

UCSD isn't that well known compared to CAL and UCLA, it has no division I sports like the other two and tends to be overlooked by most outside of CA.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:14 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Well, it's official, I WILL NOT go to St. Thomas to pursue a Masters! If I do well enough on the GMAT I'll try for Carlson School of Business (U of M). I'm definitely biding my time though.....already almost 29 and have not needed a Masters yet nor can I afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City