Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has the most New Orlean Criminals?
Atlanta Georgia 4 10.00%
Jacksonville Florida 1 2.50%
Houston Texas 35 87.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 07:53 PM

1,937 posts, read 4,708,434 times

Advertisements

I know a lot of people who went to Atlanta, and will never go back to NO. These people were more financially stable too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 08:13 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,401,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
That's not entirely true. You did have some New Orleanians causing the problems with the Houstonians as well. It really went both ways and honestly, it was inevitable. You can't jump just place a group of people from a large metro area on top of another group from a large metro area and not think there won't be problems. I do think the media overblown it though. I do remember in that year, Houston's crime was already way up before Katrina was even a storm.
yea pretty much true more like a war

Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Most of the Atlanta news reports on Katrina victims in the area were positive ones...there were several reports on how many of the evacuees came to Atlanta on their own accord and ended up getting jobs and staying. I don't remember much being reported about criminal activity specifically from evacuees...I'm sure there was some crime/gang activity, but the overall affect on Atlanta was a positive one as reported in the media. It was a much different story in Houston.

City-data polls obviously aren't scientific, but in many ways they can be just as reliable as any other public opinion polls. The main difference is that you only get responses from computer owners/users, where in real world polls you get responses from a wider variety of folks.

im not speaking about positive Katrina victims and neither did i say all of them were thugs.

i am talking about Atlanta crime specifically, and i myself have seen plenty of articles around the aftermath of Katrina where they talked specifically about new Orleans based gangs who committed violent robberies all over.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,981,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets616 View Post
Some of you people are very stupid.

Yes, the answer is of course, Houston.

But that seems to be the only hurricane that has gotten attention in the past 5 years. The national media didn't cover crap when Ike or even Rita came.

Call me racist, but I believe it's because of New Orleans' large, poor, black population.
Amen brother!

Repped

Old 09-29-2010, 11:14 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Some people from Baton Rouge and Houston swear down that they lived in Mayberry before Aug 29, 2005 and why some people from Atlanta feel that they were God's given gift to N.O. evacuees I'll never understand. Especially when N.O. is only 100,000 people short and most of those are in Texas.

Of course Houston was the most affected since they took in not only the most evacuees, but they also took in some of the lowest levels of humanity that could possibly exist in N.O. With that said I get tired of everyone blaming all of their problems on N.O. It's been five years and any problems left have become the problem of what ever jurisdiction those people reside in. If the "Big Bad" Texas legal system is as tough as you all say it is, there should be no reason that Texas can't handle it. Hell, Baton Rouge has had the worst traffic in the state for 10 years now, but now it's our fault that traffic is bad because a lot of evacuees were there for a year and a half. Now they're mostly back in N.O. and B.R. traffic and crime is high as ever, but it's New Orleans fault. Texans complain that they don't get enough media coverage, but the first thing they yell when a storm hits the gulf is "We're not Louisiana, we can handle this." When Gustav came through Texans were on t.v. and the radio talking about blowing up the bridge (Sabine River) so that the trash couldn't flow in from Louisiana. Ike came in the next week. #DEAD

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 09-29-2010 at 11:31 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Some people from Baton Rouge and Houston swear down that lived in Mayberry before Aug 29, 2005 and why some people from Atlanta feel that they were the God's given gift to N.O. evacuees I'll never explain. Especially when N.O. is only 100,000 people short and most of those are in Texas.

Of course Houston was the most affected since they took in not only the most evacuees, but they also took in some of the lowest levels of humanity that could possibly exist in N.O. With that said I get tired of everyone blaming all of their problems on N.O. It's been five years and any problems left have become the problem of what ever jurisdiction those people reside in. If the "Big Bad" Texas legal system is as tough as you all say it is, there should be no reason that Texas can't handle it. Hell, Baton Rouge has had the worst traffic in the state for 10 years now, but now it's our fault that traffic is bad because a lot of evacuees were there for a year and a half. Now they're mostly back in N.O. and B.R. traffic and crime is high as ever, but it's New Orleans fault. Texans complain that they don't get enough media coverage, but the first thing they yell when a storm hits the gulf is "We're not Louisiana, we can handle this." When Gustav came through Texans were on t.v. and the radio talking about blowing up the bridge (Sabine River) so that the trash couldn't flow in from Louisiana. Ike came in the next week. #DEAD
Texas & Houston are fine now ever since the government kicked them off FEMA assistance 2 or 3 years ago & made them get real jobs. They are now a fabric of the state & cities they fled to. A lot moved back to Louisiana, some stayed here where they couldn't be any happier.

I know we have hundreds of Katrina evacuees living here in Tyler & East area Texas alone.

As long as they behave & abide by our rules I don't have any problems with them.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Texas & Houston are fine now ever since the government kicked them off FEMA assistance 2 or 3 years ago & made them get real jobs. They are now a fabric of the state & cities they fled to. A lot moved back to Louisiana, some stayed here where they couldn't be any happier.

I know we have hundreds of Katrina evacuees living here in Tyler & East area Texas alone.

As long as they behave & abide by our rules I don't have any problems with them.
"our" rules lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Old 09-29-2010, 11:33 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,481,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
"our" rules lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
You know, there comes a time when the excuse "They don't know any better" just isn't acceptable anymore.
Question: Anyone know where I can find one of those "I Messed With Texas" (in reference to the "Don't Mess With Texas" signs on Texas highways) T-shirts? I'm seeing a lot of them lately.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:38 PM

It is "our" rules...we elected the government that made "those" rules.

"We the people"

Until they become registered Texans they can't vote any different to change the law.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
It is "our" rules...we elected the government that made "those" rules.

"We the people"

Until they become registered Texans they can't vote any different to change the law.
do you want fries with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City