Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:53 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
dude i google imaged Fort Worth TX one, and there was an entire road full of people living in tents. its like a junior skid row.
yeah, that area is very sketchy and I don't get it. It's so close to alot of nicer neighborhoods and downtown which is very nice and safe. Around that part there are more homeless per sq mile than I've ever seen. I saw a guy using the sidewalk as a toilet and I don't mean urinating. Anyway, yeah that area is bad up and down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 03:08 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
I posted this is the thread that was mysteriously locked, but it is relevant here as well.

It is BS and their methodology is flawed. I live very close to the neighborhood in Chicago that is listed as number one and it is a mostly industrial area with very few residents, and is not particularly bad area in my personal experience as I've been through there on many occasions late at night as there is a place over there that hosts live music which I like to frequent (that being said, as it is an industrial area, I don't generally wander around, especially at night).
Yes, I agree. I noticed a similar type area in Cleveland on that list as well.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:00 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
To the moderator. I think you killed the wrong thread. This is not a city versus city issue.

It is a GIGO issue...garbage in garbage out. There is no way in the world for instance that Las Vegas has three of the countries worst neighborhoods. It has none. And the three neighborhood picked are a factor of three off the worse neighborhoods in Las vegas.

I would suspect from some of the numbers that they have used metro police numbers with city of Las Vegas population. That is a mistake that has even been made by the feds on one occassion.

The whole thesis of the site is likely an impossibilty. The required data is simply not collected and available.

So we got a garbage site publishing trash. Not a suitable yardstick to compare anything.
+1 Capt. The thread posted in the Vegas forum got locked before I had a chance to reply to some questions in my response that it's a BS report; however, the doom and gloomers in the media pounced on it in last night's broadcasts.

Just speaking as a Vegas local, the conclusion that the 3 neighborhoods listed in the top 25 as "most dangerous" is complete BS in the fact that they used property crimes data along with crimes against persons. Any area that has a high number of burglaries is not "dangerous" compared to an area that has a high number of homicides. One guy being interviewed by the local news commented that he had his car stolen 3 times, is that "dangerous"????

Plus the fact that Baltimore is not on this list tells me that homework was not done properly. There are areas in Baltimore where you don't set foot in if you value your life, you can do that at least in the Vegas neighborhoods.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:07 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
also looking at the number 6 in Philly lol i find it hard to believe that a new community built in south Philly is the most dangerous in Philly. i guess the people who made this list probably were to scared to venture of into north philly to look at their stats

Old 10-05-2010, 04:17 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
+1 Capt. The thread posted in the Vegas forum got locked before I had a chance to reply to some questions in my response that it's a BS report; however, the doom and gloomers in the media pounced on it in last night's broadcasts.

Just speaking as a Vegas local, the conclusion that the 3 neighborhoods listed in the top 25 as "most dangerous" is complete BS in the fact that they used property crimes data along with crimes against persons. Any area that has a high number of burglaries is not "dangerous" compared to an area that has a high number of homicides. One guy being interviewed by the local news commented that he had his car stolen 3 times, is that "dangerous"????

Plus the fact that Baltimore is not on this list tells me that homework was not done properly. There are areas in Baltimore where you don't set foot in if you value your life, you can do that at least in the Vegas neighborhoods.
yeah, i think we can pretty much dismiss that list as nonsense. anytime you include property crime in a most DANGEROUS neighborhood list, you're going to end up with incredibly misleading results.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:19 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
yeah, that area is very sketchy and I don't get it. It's so close to alot of nicer neighborhoods and downtown which is very nice and safe. Around that part there are more homeless per sq mile than I've ever seen. I saw a guy using the sidewalk as a toilet and I don't mean urinating. Anyway, yeah that area is bad up and down.

yeah, that was crazy!! i NEVER expected to see that. I literally thought it was some weird camp ground until i saw mattresses, boxes, and garbage laying around.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:24 PM

im just dying out of laughter for the number 7 spot in Atlanta lmaoo.

the funny thing about it is i have seen people post about how nice and desirable that area was right here on city data hahahahhahaa.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:35 PM

177 posts, read 479,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I'm not claiming they are...I suppose instead of "relatively", I should have said "comparatively" safe. My "2." bullet point was referring to posters saying More Public Housing = More crime. If that were true, Boston and New York--which have considerably more public housing than any other city in the country--would have to keep their public housing very safe comparatively speaking to public housing in cities like Chicago, Detroit, etc. since those cities have considerably less public housing and considerably more crime.

I feel like I may not be communicating this clearly, so if I'm speaking in a confusing manner, let me know. I've had too much coffee today and didn't sleep enough last night.

You do realize that Chicago only recently removed/replaced over 90,000 units of public housing in the city. When they existed, only NYC had more, and Chicago probably had a higher % in public housing than NYC. In chicago, public housing did equal higher crime areas; which is a primary reason they were demolished and replaced with mixed income.

Is it a success? No, at least not yet. And NYC's projects are far from as bad as Chicagos were. But there is a reason why people associate public housing with high crime - at least in Chicago. My point is Chicago is a bad example to use.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:05 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
also looking at the number 6 in Philly lol i find it hard to believe that a new community built in south Philly is the most dangerous in Philly. i guess the people who made this list probably were to scared to venture of into north philly to look at their stats
Actually, the neighborhood they have listed is in North Philly however it is not close to being the worst neighborhood in the city. It is less than 1 mile from Center City and is gentrifying rapidly. I would think West Kensington or Strawberry Mansion would be among the most crime ridden.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Actually, the neighborhood they have listed is in North Philly however it is not close to being the worst neighborhood in the city. It is less than 1 mile from Center City and is gentrifying rapidly. I would think West Kensington or Strawberry Mansion would be among the most crime ridden.
o wow you are right but regardless of that though just looking at the area with its brand new developments i would not think something new would surpass the already crime ridden rotten parts of northern philly such as kensington for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City