Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 06:49 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
Lol @ you saying it's not Atlanta. According to Wikipedia, Atlanta wins by far with the second contender being HOUSTON. Portland doesn't even make the list. Boston is on there, and Seattle doesn't even make the national average.

So looks like it's Atlanta case closed. Just because there's a mountain covered in trees doesn't mean there's more trees everywhere. Atlanta is a city built in low mountains. Drive on I-20: it feels like you are in the countryside, then downtown ,and then back in the countryside. Not a real suburban feel.

This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
It is Atlanta. I'm guessing you've never Been there.
Another amen.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:50 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

Actually it's the opposite besides very few cities, most American cities don't have a dense forest canopy surrounding their skyline like that, But
Boston does as well but there are not as many trees within the city limits as the city's far denser than Atlanta. Streets are generally tree lined outside the center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US...on_Foliage.jpg

Old 05-18-2012, 09:07 AM

57 posts, read 160,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrikeArghast View Post
I said what. A. Joke. I don't see anything convincing there. You can shoot a photo from that altitude to mask houses with the surrounding trees in any major urban area in the country (with the exception of Phoenix and Albuquerque) and produce that same exact effect.
So is this video showing the same effect as you claim the photos are?

Old 05-18-2012, 09:27 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Boston does as well but there are not as many trees within the city limits as the city's far denser than Atlanta. Streets are generally tree lined outside the center.

File:USA Massachusetts Boston Foliage.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would suspect that most cities in the East have a large amount of tree cover

though the more densly developed ones have removed them but basically all of the esat coast would be naturally tree lush

Old 05-18-2012, 09:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I would suspect that most cities in the East have a large amount of tree cover

though the more densly developed ones have removed them but basically all of the esat coast would be naturally tree lush
The east coast is very well treed. I remember when I use to fly from London to New York City I was always surprised by how much tree cover there was landing into NYC (looking at outer boroughs, but still) in comparison to London (look at rowhouses in streetview both cities and you notice less trees in London as well as San Francisco). Of course there's less need for trees and shade in Northern Europe and San Francisco as there's little summer heat.There's a feeling get in the Northeast that if you didn't care of your property, the vegetation would come in and cart your house away...

The World without Us imagines would happen to NYC (and the rest of the world) if humans suddenly vanished.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,962 times
I guess it's tough for people who only see pictures of Atlanta or visit downtown then leave to understand the trees thing.

Trees in Atlanta grow like weeds. If you leave a plot of land sitting there for just a few years, it will start to have very dense growth of shrubs and trees. Trees will take over anything that isn't maintained; old houses and parking lots will relatively quickly be overgrown with trees if no one looks after them.

In many neighborhoods, the trees can be a nuisance. They destroy sidewalks and retaining walls. Bird droppings are a major problem. Neighbors squabble over tree removal costs when they die. Branches fall and destroy cars and roofs--fairly regularly.

Trees are just a completely integral part of Atlanta's urban fabric, growing on every little patch of land they can find.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Trees in Atlanta grow like weeds. If you leave a plot of land sitting there for just a few years, it will start to have very dense growth of shrubs and trees. Trees will take over anything that isn't maintained; old houses and parking lots will relatively quickly be overgrown with trees if no one looks after them.
I think that's true of the whole east coast, but maybe more so in the south.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I think that's true of the whole east coast, but maybe more so in the south.
It is more so in the American South, but this phenomenon is particular strong in the Piedmont Region and Atlanta.

It's a unique combo of climate, precipitation, and elevation that cause this heavy, quick tree+forest growth effect (with the corresponding urban forest, city in a forest).

Old 05-18-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I guess it's tough for people who only see pictures of Atlanta or visit downtown then leave to understand the trees thing.

In many neighborhoods, the trees can be a nuisance. They destroy sidewalks and retaining walls. Bird droppings are a major problem. Neighbors squabble over tree removal costs when they die. Branches fall and destroy cars and roofs--fairly regularly.

Trees are just a completely integral part of Atlanta's urban fabric, growing on every little patch of land they can find.
This.

Last edited by aries4118; 05-18-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City