Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
Lol...Cleveland

It's all about Nashville for this one. The city's area is almost that of LA, but the part of it that actually constitutes a city is small, more resembling little midsize towns like Boston and Atlanta (no, not Cleveland, sorry).

Also, those dismissing cities west of the Mississippi need to pull their heads out of wherever they left them. I'm sorry, but if deciduous, seasonal, common leaf-bearing tree's are the only trees some of you will acknowledge, than there's no point in this debate. The fact that I've heard Seattle mentioned less than Cleveland on this thread is laughable.
Cleveland is known as the forest city, because it is in the middle of a vast deciduous forest. Trees literally grow like weeds there, you can't keep the sapplings out of your flower beds and bushes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 12:38 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Can't argue with Wikipedia. I'd sure love to see the rankings, though. This confirms Atlanta's spot, in the first paragraph.

Atlanta tree canopy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-19-2012, 02:05 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
I lived in Atlanta for 20 years, and I would say, without question, that the only city I've ever been to that was greener with more trees is Pittsburgh. Obviously, many people commenting on this thread have never been to Pittsburgh, or it would be getting a LOT more votes.

Old 05-19-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Northerner View Post
I lived in Atlanta for 20 years, and I would say, without question, that the only city I've ever been to that was greener with more trees is Pittsburgh. Obviously, many people commenting on this thread have never been to Pittsburgh, or it would be getting a LOT more votes.
I don't doubt that it's very green, and scenic, from seeing pictures. However, for them (wiki) to come up with a determination, such as Atlanta, they must use some measurable criteria. I was looking for the list, via search engines, and couldn't find it. I'm sure Pittsburgh is high. However, Houston did come in as #2. Driving around suburban streets, one can't help but notice that.

I once remember sending an aerial view postcard from Atlanta, taken from north of Midtown, and the inscription on the back said that the USFS determined it was the most forested city in the nation. I've filed that away as interesting trivia.

Old 05-19-2012, 05:52 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,201,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
When I went to Orlando, there were soooo many trees. And it was so lush and one of the most underrated cities for beauty.

For some reason, I did't know that there were an abundance of pine trees in Florida.
Orlandos nickname "The City Beautiful ". But there really are a lot of trees here. Not just palm trees

Old 05-19-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
For some reason, I did't know that there were an abundance of pine trees in Florida.
If you ever drive along I-10 in the Florida Panhandle, pine trees dominate.

In beach areas near Miami or around Marco Island/Sanibel, the sea pines, next to white sand beaches and turquoise water, make for a very scenic and relaxing combination.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:48 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
I been to every major city in this country. Atlanta wins and it's not even close.

There are parts of Riverdale so woody that you would not know you were riding by a house unless you noticed the mailbox.

My sister lives in Fayetteville GA a suburb south of Atlanta's city limits, and her backyard is nothing but a little forest.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:33 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Cleveland is known as the forest city, because it is in the middle of a vast deciduous forest. Trees literally grow like weeds there, you can't keep the sapplings out of your flower beds and bushes.
I never knew the exact reason.....thank you!

Old 05-19-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
If you ever drive along I-10 in the Florida Panhandle, pine trees dominate.

In beach areas near Miami or around Marco Island/Sanibel, the sea pines, next to white sand beaches and turquoise water, make for a very scenic and relaxing combination.
Agreed.

P.S. this is NOT an attempt at friendship....I just strongly agree with this statement!

Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't doubt that it's very green, and scenic, from seeing pictures. However, for them (wiki) to come up with a determination, such as Atlanta, they must use some measurable criteria. I was looking for the list, via search engines, and couldn't find it. I'm sure Pittsburgh is high. However, Houston did come in as #2. Driving around suburban streets, one can't help but notice that.

I once remember sending an aerial view postcard from Atlanta, taken from north of Midtown, and the inscription on the back said that the USFS determined it was the most forested city in the nation. I've filed that away as interesting trivia.
Actually, as I understood it, Wikipedia gets its data completely blindly, and (it seems) the best post seems to be the one that is viewed when researching the subject.....but it's NOT necessarily a scientific and controlled study -- Wiki's major drawback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City