Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 04:09 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,450 times

Advertisements

Chicago, all the way.

Chicago's public transit has an articulated-automated-machine that tells you what stop you're stopping at as oppose to NYC's muffled-english-challenged-speaker-who-doesn't-give-a-f-if-you-understand-anything-that-is-said.

Also, the Loop area, the police tell the bums to take a hike as oppose to ...

Old 10-20-2010, 04:14 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
*joins the "rent is too damn high party" here in ny*

thats a really nice apartment.
The view from my bedroom window (the 6th tallest building in the country right in front of me):

I would say compared to New York City, it is far less in terms of payment, and it is definitely something that is "do able" which would leave you with more in the savings. Its pretty cool actually, and Downtown, and the Loop in general is very safe.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:18 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Chicago Featured Condo - 1250 S. Indiana #1112 Chicago IL 60605 | South Loop Real Estate

Had a 660 sq foot 1br full amenity building (swimming pool/gym/dry cleaners/doorman) walk to work, paid 1100 for it a month from 2006-2008, 8 blocks from dead center downtown. I pay 925 now for an 850br + storage, walkup/courtyard/laundry 1br I share w/ my gf, I'm about 40 blocks from dead center downtown on north side, about 15-20 mins into loop by subway (depends).. Paid 900 a month for a 2 bedroom but in not as nice of an area 2005-2006 about 16 blocks from dead center downtown. I know people in SF pay the same for a 400 sq foot efficiency unit. I think NYC is even more expensive. I pay 462 a month rent b/c I split it with my gf.

This is dead center downtown, 0/0.

state and madison chicago - Google Maps

areas of 1st, similar view to this from printers row

i think this goes for about 1300-1400 now though instead of 1100...

this is area from the 900 2br in 2005-2006, bottom left half near Ashland

currently pretty close to bottom right half here in image attached...

Sweet mother of mercy. I'm considering moving into the Allston section of Boston, which is supposed to be relatively affordable compared to the central parts of the city...for a studio I'm going to have to drop a minimum of $950 a month. Maybe I should consider Chicago instead....

Anyway, I would love to live in either of these cities. I like New York more, but out of the cities I have been to, Chicago is easily my #2 (not including Boston since it's my home).

Old 10-20-2010, 04:22 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Sweet mother of mercy. I'm considering moving into the Allston section of Boston, which is supposed to be relatively affordable compared to the central parts of the city...for a studio I'm going to have to drop a minimum of $950 a month. Maybe I should consider Chicago instead....

Anyway, I would love to live in either of these cities. I like New York more, but out of the cities I have been to, Chicago is easily my #2 (not including Boston since it's my home).
Imagine how I feel, I am paying $850 monthly for my apartment in Downtown Austin. Its fully loaded and decked out though, but comparatively to how awesome my place in Downtown Chicago is (But thats paid off, so there isn't any monthly payment), its just crazy how much Chicago can give you and for how much.

For New York City though, if I could get a chance to live in Manhattan, and not talking about just a general area, but like a very upscale place even for Manhattan, I would drop everything, pack my bags and take it and never in my life look back. But I'm still in college right now, so I'm content with what I've got with Chicago, and the other places I stay at. New York City & Chicago are my only exceptions to "hyper dense cities" that I would ever live in. And thats saying a lot since I normally prefer massive standalone Mediterranean/Spanish style homes in cities with sub-tropical temperatures near the Coast.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:22 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

The biggest downside to Chicago is its location, well not from people from Midwest, but if you are from East Coast you might miss some of it. I would say the winter is also "worse" But maybe for you if you were to relocate. It is definitely good bang for buck. But also you can pay much more for more posh areas if need be, there are certainly several million dollar condos here.

I think Philadelphia is pretty affordable though right?

I would like to live in NYC for awhile too, don't get me wrong. It just isn't in the equation currently so will have to be a "visiting" place, but I've looked into a 1 or 3 month sublease there just to get a more intimate feel for it. I'm trying to do a 3 month sublease in France next summer... anybody have something they want to rent out??? When I was 18 I had wanted to live in NYC and went about 5-6 times while I was in college, just ended up in Chicago b/c I had some connections there at the time. I could have just as easily done NYC had things been different though, or Boston, etc. There were some other factors though too, 9/11 was still pretty recent when I was done w/ school in 2002 plus the recession then and family didn't exactly feel to comfortable about that move.

I'll be 30 next month though and in a pretty long relationship, my "city living" is probably coming to an end soon and looking at more suburban options near a major city, not really sure where that will be yet.

Last edited by grapico; 10-20-2010 at 04:43 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 04:31 PM

976 posts, read 2,243,872 times
can't compare the two. they are in different leagues. new york for me.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:44 PM

177 posts, read 479,804 times
In a perfect world where money is not an issue, and all other things even, I have to admit, NYC. It is the 10 out of 10 for urban living, no doubt.

But in reality, considering the cost of living, and bang for your buck, Chicago all the way. While only a '9' I guess, meaning it offers about 90% of what NYC does, you pay less than half the price. Other 9 or 8 cities, say DC, Seattle, Boston, LA, or SF, are also far more expensive. So it is a pretty good deal. The only issue is the isolation in the midwest.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:00 PM

721 posts, read 1,794,718 times
I'm kind of surprised so many people are picking Chicago

I'd honestly be fine living in either, but since I was born in Chicago and my entire family lives in Chicago, I'd prefer to live here over the two. I'd love to live in New York though. Maybe for a year or so...in between the 2010 and 2020 census

tmac, maybe you should look into a move to Chicago! It is America's second financial capital

Old 10-20-2010, 06:53 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
so lets get this straight majority of people rather live in chicago because nyc rent is to damn high lol.

well damn nyc is surely the best city in america lol.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:54 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
I'm kind of surprised so many people are picking Chicago

I'd honestly be fine living in either, but since I was born in Chicago and my entire family lives in Chicago, I'd prefer to live here over the two. I'd love to live in New York though. Maybe for a year or so...in between the 2010 and 2020 census

tmac, maybe you should look into a move to Chicago! It is America's second financial capital
the majority of people in this country want to live in nyc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City