Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:52 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,102,358 times

Advertisements

A state has one very large, enormous metropolitan area of 6 or 7 million, with the rest of the state being small metros and rural towns.

Another state has 3 or 4 metros all ranging from lets say about 1.2-1.5 million in size.

Which benefits a state more? Having 1 enormous, thriving metropolis or a few "large" ones spread out around the state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 07:09 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Hmm...sounds like a GA vs NC situation...
In the case of GA, I do think the presence of a single major metro has been problematic...Atlanta has repeatedly been held back by the antipathy of GA's state legislature. They have presented one obstacle after another in order to prevent the metro from receiving needed transportation funding, etc.
I would imagine that in NC, where there is a more balanced distribution of urban population, Charlotte receives less of a beating from it's state government.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:38 AM

179 posts, read 402,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Hmm...sounds like a GA vs NC situation...
In the case of GA, I do think the presence of a single major metro has been problematic...Atlanta has repeatedly been held back by the antipathy of GA's state legislature. They have presented one obstacle after another in order to prevent the metro from receiving needed transportation funding, etc.
I would imagine that in NC, where there is a more balanced distribution of urban population, Charlotte receives less of a beating from it's state government.
That's interesting.
Conversely, with a state like New York, NYC gets all the attention/funding and upstate/western New York is neglected...
So I guess it differs in every situation.

But I would think it would be better to have some variety...

Old 10-21-2010, 07:51 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,755 times
Sounds to me like Illinois vs Missouri. Of course, both states capitals are in very minor cities (unlike Georgia, mentioned by LovinDecatur) and that does make a difference.

But I like Missouri's situation better (biased...) because I think Illinois suffers from being very lop-sided. Chicago has all the biggest problems, and the biggest resources, and the rest of the state gets very over-looked. Just think about how many of the most dangerous cities in the US are in Illinois (areas of Chicago, plus E. St. Louis.) But I think Missouri's attention is spread out better.

Here's a good list of each type of state, for discussion:

States with one metro that towers over the others:
New York
Massachusetts
Maryland (not really room for 2 metros, anyway)
Georgia
Louisiana
Michigan
Indiana
Illinois
Minnesota
Wisconsin (and that city is... Chicago. or maybe Milwaukee.)
Nebraska (although Lincoln does give Omaha some competition)
Colorado
Utah
Arizona
Nevada
Washington
Oregon

States where there is some competition among several sizable metros
Pennsylvania
North Carolina
Florida
Tennessee
Missouri
Oklahoma
Texas

That's only 23 states. I intentionally left out:
a) states with no sizable metros (such as New Hampshire or Montana)
b) states with a clearly dominant metro, but which doesn't completely overwhelm its other cities (such as California, New Mexico, or Kentucky)

Last edited by rwiksell; 10-21-2010 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Oversight in 2nd list (Texas)

Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
MD kind of has two metros right on top of one another

Old 10-21-2010, 08:40 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,988,983 times
I would imagine Ohio, Alabama, South Carolina, and Virginia would all fit into the second category.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:46 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
Think the larger giant metro is better, they provide the critical mass needed for global economy. The others will get more and more left in the dust outside of smaller metros with high research universities. The exception is when the state is large enough to create several large metros such as Texas/California.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:01 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,755 times
I can't believe I left Ohio out of the 2nd list. I was thinking about it, then just forgot to add it.

I think Virginia's sort of like a larger version of Kansas (both absent from both lists). They are oddballs, because their largest metro is actually centered out-of-state. So their greatest population is concentrated in the overflow of another state's metro area. Then the rest of the state is sort of divvied up among more moderately-sized cities, none of which can compete with the out-of-state metro.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:04 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,988,983 times
I think a large metro tends to be better. Lots of corporations need a certain market of specialized services in a city in order to consider locating there, so Georgia is on the map for corporate relocations that Tennessee can't compete for, despite Georgia not being that much larger. Also, when you combine most of the wealth/culture/business in one place, you get some pretty impressive scale efficiencies, while other states have to try to build up this net of services in multiple different places.

Of course, as an Atlantan, I would love to see some of our other cities grow to become freestanding metro areas, rather than seen only in the shadow of Atlanta. Competition is a good thing.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:08 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
Several sizable metros. In NY, the whole state has to suffer because of NYC interests and NYC policies that don't work in the other metro areas. There are other metro areas in the state with around 1 million that are stagnant or in bad shape because of policies put forth by NYC interests that create high taxes and a horrible business climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City