Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:41 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Yeah usually it's like 5-10 minutes for a train here in Chicago to pass.
Off peak, though, you may have to wait upwards of 20 minutes for a CTA train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:59 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Off peak, though, you may have to wait upwards of 20 minutes for a CTA train.
Maybe past 11:00pm on a weekday. During the day they run 4-7 minutes apart during the rush and 11 or so minutes apart on average...NYC's trains don't run 2 minutes apart. Maybe during rush hour they're 4-7 minutes apart, but 2 minutes apart would just cause massive delays and back ups. Especially since so many trains travel through the same tunnels...

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel...dules.aspx#red

Why did I revive this?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:02 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Maybe past 10:00pm or 11:00pm on a weekday. During the day they run 4-7 or 11 or so minutes apart on average...NYC's trains don't run 2 minutes apart. Maybe during rush hour they're 4-7 minutes apart, but 2 minutes apart would just cause massive delays and back ups. Especially since so many trains travel through the same tunnels...

Why did I revive this?
In Chicago, you usually wait 20-30 minutes for trains. Daley cut the train service, because he wants to subsidize downtown interests through TIF funding.

That's nothing compared to the havoc Daley caused with the buses. Daley shut down something like 40% of the bus lines. Chicago becomes more suburban by the day, but at least Daley is leaving, so there's hope.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:08 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,726,045 times
For once I will agree with Ohio248. The CTA has become difficult to ride with. I haven't noticed any bus issues (I don't ride them really), but the trains run much slower except during rush hour.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
In Chicago, you usually wait 20-30 minutes for trains. Daley cut the train service, because he wants to subsidize downtown interests through TIF funding.

That's nothing compared to the havoc Daley caused with the buses. Daley shut down something like 40% of the bus lines. Chicago becomes more suburban by the day, but at least Daley is leaving, so there's hope.
Deprecated Browser Error

Did you even look at that timetable? It list the time intervals at which the trains run. You can't really argue with the CTA.

Also, Dem...do you have a link showing that Daley cut 40% of Chicago's bus lines?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:20 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
For once I will agree with Ohio248. The CTA has become difficult to ride with. I haven't noticed any bus issues (I don't ride them really), but the trains run much slower except during rush hour.
The buses have gotten more packed for sure, though not terrible. Blue line trains are still pretty frequent, every few minutes during rush hour but the slow zone between Logan Square and California kind of sucks. A lot better than a few years ago when the entire Dearborn St subway was a slow zone...ugh.

Yeah the CTA is a mess and it's not going to get better since they keep diverting repair money into operations. One of these days something really bad is going to happen. The blue line fire should have been a wake-up-call that you can't neglect track maintenance.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
The buses have gotten more packed for sure, though not terrible. Blue line trains are still pretty frequent, every few minutes during rush hour but the slow zone between Logan Square and California kind of sucks. A lot better than a few years ago when the entire Dearborn St subway was a slow zone...ugh.

Yeah the CTA is a mess and it's not going to get better since they keep diverting repair money into operations. One of these days something really bad is going to happen. The blue line fire should have been a wake-up-call that you can't neglect track maintenance.
Yeah...when I took the Green Line back from the Museum, I could have walked faster at some points haha. Wasn't that fire on the red line? Not that it matters haha.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:34 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,557,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
Yeah...when I took the Green Line back from the Museum, I could have walked faster at some points haha. Wasn't that fire on the red line? Not that it matters haha.
Nope blue line just north of Clark & Lake. I remember that day well b/c I was on the train just behind that one fortunately. The commute home was a pain, but at least I wasn't crawling through a smoke-filled tunnel with no visibility.

After that fire for a few months there was a 6mph slow zone through most of the Dearborn St. subway until they started replacing the ties.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:43 PM

175 posts, read 287,128 times
It all really depends. Given the budget and safety situation with metro, performance has declined. But I'll put it like this, during rush hour trains will run every 2-5 minutes. Mid-day: 5-8 minutes. Nights 6-12 minutes. Late nights (12-3am Fri and Sat) 12-20 minutes. Sat and Sun: 6-12 minutes.

Hours of operation:
Sunday: 7am-Midnight
Monday-Thurday: 5am-Midnight
Friday: 5am-3am
Saturday: 7am-3am

Old 11-06-2010, 09:45 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
DC metro is pretty efficient during rush hour which is a given. It's usually 6 minutes between trains but they seem to run sooner than that. But outside of rush hour...wait for 12 minutes unless you need to travel somewhere on the green/yellow line before it splits off at Le'Enfant or blue/orange line before it splits off at Stadium-Armory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City