Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:06 PM

175 posts, read 287,095 times

Advertisements

It just seems really weird for a subway system to have grade crossings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4hqU...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FePWfYZZRNI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 09:11 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,357,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Everything I said was correct.

FACT- The Chicago EL primarily runs on elevateds and in the middle of freeways

FACT- The Chicago EL has been victim to savage budget cuts

FACT- The Chicago EL has stoplights in NW Chicago (Brown Line) and in some Western Suburbs

And, since you need to know the U.S. electric commuter rail systems-

1. NYC- LIRR, Metro North, NJ Transit, Shore Line East
2. Boston- MBTA
3. Philly- Septa & PennDOT
4. Baltimore- MARC
5. DC- MARC & VRE
6. SF- BART

But Chicago's commuter rail is overwhelmingly diesel! Even big cities in the developing world have electric systems!
Wrong.
Commuter Rail Equipment (http://narail.awardspace.com/equip.html - broken link)

And BART is NOT commuter rail.

Try again.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:15 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth Asher View Post
It just seems really weird for a subway system to have grade crossings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4hqU...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FePWfYZZRNI
How is it weird haha? I know it's not what you're use to in D.C, but there's really only a handful of stops that actually cross streets like those. I think the only stops are the last few on the brown line, the last few on the purple line, and the yellow line. Everything else is either elevated, a subway, or in the median of expressways.

I think the CTA would if they had the money invest in putting more of the system underground, but they just don't. I think it's fascinating when the brown lines crosses at grade though, it's kind of crazy when you're going down these streets and out of nowhere a train shoots by.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Wrong.

And BART is NOT commuter rail.

Try again.
What was wrong? All these cities have electric commuter rail.

Unfortunately, Metra refuses to bring its system up to circa 1900 standards.

And BART is definitely a commuter rail system.

But we are talking about Chicago, and their problem of no electric rail, and too many stoplights for their trains!

Imagine being late for work, and the train is stuck at a red light!

Maybe they should just give Chicago commuters skateboards. Probably faster and more reliable than the Chicago EL.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
How is it weird haha? I know it's not what you're use to in D.C, but there's really only a handful of stops that actually cross streets like those. I think the only stops are the last few on the brown line, the last few on the purple line, and the yellow line. Everything else is either elevated, a subway, or in the median of expressways.

I think the CTA would if they had the money invest in putting more of the system underground, but they just don't. I think it's fascinating when the brown lines crosses at grade though, it's kind of crazy when you're going down these streets and out of nowhere a train shoots by.
Yeah he only thing I'm used to seeing go across grades are freight and commuter trains in the suburbs. Its cool though, but weird. Id hate to be on the el and some 18 wheeler jumps the grade and slams the train.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:24 PM

BART is commuter no doubt, if not regional rail, those trains really reach far out and there are plans to extend it to San Jose, thats like WMATA going to Baltimore...

Last edited by Roth Asher; 11-07-2010 at 09:48 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
What was wrong? All these cities have electric commuter rail.

Unfortunately, Metra refuses to bring its system up to circa 1900 standards.

And BART is definitely a commuter rail system.

But we are talking about Chicago, and their problem of no electric rail, and too many stoplights for their trains!

Imagine being late for work, and the train is stuck at a red light!

Maybe they should just give Chicago commuters skateboards. Probably faster and more reliable than the Chicago EL.
Wrong again, on all counts re: commuter rail.

And again, BART is NOT commuter rail.

Your little anti-Chicago tantrum is making you look beyond foolish at this point.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:30 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Wrong again, on all counts re: commuter rail.

And again, BART is NOT commuter rail.

Your little anti-Chicago tantrum is making you look beyond foolish at this point.
Every system I listed has electric commuter rail. Name ONE which doesn't.

BART is generally considered commuter rail. Others on this thread appear to agree with my viewpoint, not yours.

And what have I said re. Chicago which is false? The stoplights? The budget cuts? Or the train track on the freeway medians? It's all true, and you know it.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Every system I listed has electric commuter rail. Name ONE which doesn't.

BART is generally considered commuter rail. Others on this thread appear to agree with my viewpoint, not yours.

And what have I said re. Chicago which is false? The stoplights? The budget cuts? Or the train track on the freeway medians? It's all true, and you know it.
I know a mindless agenda can cloud your judgement, but FAIL, yet again.

Read it and retract, if you are even capable:

You stated ALL American systems are electric except METRA.

You continue to insist that BART is commuter rail.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

Last edited by johnatl; 11-07-2010 at 09:47 PM..

Old 11-07-2010, 09:44 PM

42 posts, read 40,920 times
I am originally from Philly and have been a lifelong subway enthusiast and rider, since the 1970’s to school 7th grade thru 12th grade and to work for a few years. I have also ridden subways in New York, Boston and Washington, DC.

My questions are this:
In Philly there are express tracks where you have tunnels that are 4 tracks wide in North, South, Center city and West Philadelphia -2 tracks for local trains and 2 tracks for express trains, other than New York do other cities have this arrangement? This is a cool effect when two trains are riding side by side heading in the same direction-it's almost as if they are racing.

In Philly there are certain instances where you have tunnels that are 6 tracks wide -2 tracks for local trains, 2 tracks for express trains and 2 tracks for spur trains (in North Philly Between Girard and Fairmount avenue and at Erie avenue) do other cities have this arrangement?

In Philly you have instance where there are 4 track wide tunnels and 2 of the tracks either raise up to another higher level tunnel or sink down to a lower level tunnel. This is a cool effect when two trains are riding side by side heading in the same direction-when the other train either rises up or lowers into a deeper tunnel right next to your train.

In Philly at a major hub station-(Suburban Station) the tunnel is from 8 to ten tracks wide, other than New York’s Penn station and Grand central Terminal, do other cities have this arrangement?

In Philly you have double and triple level stations, I know that New York, Boston and DC have double level stations where two tunnels intersect, do other cities have triple level stations?

In Philly you have certain locations where you have several lines in separate tunnels merging together at one location (i.e. City Hall and 8TH STREET- Commuter Lines Train station 4 tracks- Market Street Line-2 tracks- Ridge Ave train 1 track –Patco train -2 tracks) do other cities have this arrangement?

In Philly you have abandoned subway stations and tunnels, other than New York do other cities have this arrangement?

In Philly you have a train that runs over a major bridge over the river right next to automobile traffic (Patco line on the Ben Franklin Bridge) and tunnels that run under the river, other than New York do other cities have this arrangement?

In Philly you have elevated train structures where one elevated train bridge crosses directly over another train bridge structure, do other cities have this arrangement?

In Philly the number of cars on each train varies-on the Broad street and Market street lines there are usually between 5 and 6 car trains, on the Subway surface lines (5 separate lines in total) there are usually one car trains, on the Ridge Avenue line there are 2 to 5 car trains, on the Patco trains there are usually 2 to 5 car trains and on the commuter lines there are 2 to 8 car trains. How many cars are there on other city trains, I have seen up to ten car trains in New York.

In Philly several tunnels and abandoned stations are heavily painted over with graffiti, the stations and trains are cleaner now than in the 1970’s, do other cities have this issue? There is even graffiti painted in the tunnels .

In Philly I have seen special trains for money collection-“The Money Train”, police trains and buses for getting a lot of police officers to a location quickly and special event trains for sporting events- The Phillies/Eagles Express train. Do other cities have specialty trains?

Thanks in advance for your responses. I have often wondered about the Subway System infrastructure in other cities. It’s sad that in these days and times, infrastructure like this would be considered too expensive to build, especially considering that most of the infrastructure in question was built from 1900 to the 1930’s, through the Great Depression
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City