Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ATL smaller verion of L.A?
yes more similar than different 23 24.21%
no complete different type of city 62 65.26%
i hope not 10 10.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:44 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
They do share a few similarities, but Atlanta's not a smaller version of any other city.

And Savannah is only about 250 miles from Atlanta. That's not exactly next door, but it surely isn't "several hundred miles" away either.
250 miles is about like Tyler to Galveston which is pretty darned far.

At least 4 hours away without traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 08:48 PM

How can Atlanta be anything like LA without the palm trees, diversity/culture, & skyline?

Heck the downtown skylines look nothing alike. Atlanta's skyline looks more like an East Coast city than anything with all of the spires on its buildings.

Now ******* & LA...

Old 10-22-2010, 08:53 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
^^^Thats a little harsh. Atlanta is nothing like LA, but Atlanta has culture and some diversity to it.

The city that is a mini LA is San Diego. They have more in common than any other.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
^^^Thats a little harsh. Atlanta is nothing like LA, but Atlanta has culture and some diversity to it.

The city that is a mini LA is San Diego. They have more in common than any other.
I take it you've never been to Houston huh?

Yes Atlanta does have some culture & diversity, but the city is still predominately Black & White. Racial divide still exists to a large degree there.

Atlanta is most definitely not nearly as diverse as its larger Southern siblings & not nearly as integrated.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:06 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,860,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I'd like to hear them & I've got all night long. The weather is supposed to get kinda nasty here this weekend so I'll be cooped up inside with my PJ's on & coffee in hand.
Both are Sunbelt metros renowned for their sprawl (even more so than others), are the largest cities/metros in their respective states, have multiple skylines, have hosted the summer Olympics, and are centers for TV, music, and film (Atlanta much less so than LA obviously). Like I said, they only share a few similarities because they are quite distinct from each other.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I take it you've never been to Houston huh?
Been to Houston many, many times and no Houston as not as much like LA as San Diego. Not to say they dont have things in common, but San Diego is much more a mini-LA than Houston.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:36 PM

848 posts, read 2,127,061 times
Atlanta has its own unique character. Peachtree probably has an LA-flair but then that type of thing is common in many great cities. Atlanta screams "urban Dixie" to me, for some reason. Houston is more like a lean version of Los Angeles.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:00 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
They do share a few similarities, but Atlanta's not a smaller version of any other city.

And Savannah is only about 250 miles from Atlanta. That's not exactly next door, but it surely isn't "several hundred miles" away either.
250 miles isn't several hundred miles.
1 hundred
2 hundred
another 1/2 hundred
4 hour drive to the beach? Yeah that's called landlocked dude. pretty much same situation as Dallas.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:28 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Having lived here in Atlanta for a few years and spending a lot of time in LA, I can't exactly say that it's a "Mini-LA". We do have sprawl, bad traffic, multiple skylines, a (smaller) media & film presence, but besides that? The weather, terrain, climate, and culture are totally different from LA. Besides, we're not on the ocean either. There is a much more overt "Eastern" culture here.

However, we do have El Pollo Loco now, and I've noticed the trend of saying how it takes "20 minutes" to get from here to there has taken a hold here (that whole "20 minutes" thing started out in LA). Lots of California transplants here too - one time at my church, the pastor asked how many people were from Cali, and I swear about 200 hands shot up, LOL.

The only other cities that I could say are "mini" LA's would be Miami and/or Houston, and even then the cultures of each city makes them too different and distinctive. LA and Houston are both large port cities, and LA was once a huge manufacturing center and oil was a big factor in the development of LA as well.

Las Vegas and Phoenix could be contenders as well due to the heavy SoCal influence there, except that they're both landlocked in the desert (so the port culture of LA would not be there). I have heard of comparisons to the Inland Empire suburbs though.

Note to the guy that said that San Diego is a mini LA, as someone who used to live in San Diego, NEVER EVER EVER say that, LOL

Old 10-23-2010, 12:04 AM

When ATL gets a seaport & starts planting palm trees along its boulevards & freeways let me know.

H-town has had that covered for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City