Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 03:09 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Toronto's skyline is hard to capture from one vantage point. Its essential too large and chaotic for that. Although the traditional view from the islands is nice, it doesn't capture the breath that Is probably best captured from east or west. If looking from the south, at least angled slight west or east to capture the main north/south spine of the skyline that goes up either side of Yonge Street. My favourite view of the skyline is on Broadview street between Danforth and Gerrard
Thank you for the suggestions.

We don't mind renting a time slot for a helicopter tour if Toronto does those for skyline views. I would imagine that, perhaps, those would give me the best views of the city's full panoramic skyline. Maybe? We're very much going on a trip for fun and we want to kill it (our experience).

We did that for Vancouver, British Columbia when we were there, they had that and it was definitely the best experience ever when trying to capture a stunning view of the city and its skyline.

Of course this is months away but I prefer booking things months in advance, chances of getting everything you want is expedited the sooner you make plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 03:25 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Thank you for the suggestions.

We don't mind renting a time slot for a helicopter tour if Toronto does those for skyline views. I would imagine that, perhaps, those would give me the best views of the city's full panoramic skyline. Maybe? We're very much going on a trip for fun and we want to kill it (our experience).

We did that for Vancouver, British Columbia when we were there, they had that and it was definitely the best experience ever when trying to capture a stunning view of the city and its skyline.

Of course this is months away but I prefer booking things months in advance, chances of getting everything you want is expedited the sooner you make plans.
Actually I was thinking of that. Yes a Helicopter would definitely give you the best view. It'll also help you appreciate the density/size of the DT core.. As you can see, its definitely more dense perpendicular to the lake running either side of Yonge street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1NWHP3ErPw

You can do a google search for Toronto helicopter tour and you'll see lots of options. The link below is one to give you an idea.

http://www.helitours.ca/information/prices/

Also, keep an eye on groupon for potential discounts.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-21-2016 at 03:55 PM..

Old 02-21-2016, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,007 times
As a person who frequently travels to/through both Chicago and Toronto (~two to three times per year each), I have to take issue with many of the comparisons that are drawn between the two. I think it's easier to compare the two from afar (Great Lakes cities, roughly same populationthriving CBDs and financial sectors, etc.) but the more time I spend in either one, the more I am impressioned by how different they are from each other.

In terms of built form, Chicago has had two defined building booms: turn of the century, and post WWII (especially in the surrounding suburbs). Compare this to Toronto, which prior to WWII had an urban core roughly the size of Cleveland or St. Louis. Toronto's building booms have been in the 70s and 80s when the Canadian financial sector was in the process of moving out of Montreal and to Toronto, and more recently in the 90s and 2000s (especially in the suburbs) to accommodate many Canadian and immigrant transplants to the city. The result, in my opinion, is that Chicago feels like a much older and established city, more along the lines of Montreal, New York or Philadelphia, in comparison to Toronto where the urban core is much smaller... especially after many older districts were razed to make way for new development. This process is still ongoing in many parts of Toronto, whereas most new developments in Chicago are characterized by infill.

The second big difference is the demographic composition of the population. At risk of sounding generalizing and a bit anachronistic, Chicago is characterized primarily by an 'ethnic-ness' (i.e.: many Central/Eastern European and more recently Latino immigrants) who came through the city and left their mark particularly in the realm of architecture, but also food, religion, and language. Toronto is (more recently, but perhaps more profoundly) marked by its "immigrant-ness", as 46% of the Toronto region was born outside of Canada. This is the largest foreign-born percentage for a city of any OECD country. This compares to the 19.2% foreign-born population in Chicago, and even this group consists of a more homogenous bloc of Latino immigrants. 40%+ of the immigrants in Chicago were born in Mexico alone, whereas Toronto's four largest immigrant origins make up only 15% of the population. Previously, Chicago also experienced huge waves of homogenous immigration (Poles, for instance). This leads to a situation where Chicagoans will identify more readily with an ethnic identity of some sort, whereas Torontonians seem to be camped by whether they're an immigrant or not Both cities are, without question, very international, but I would argue that Chicago's 'internationalism' is more marked by its extensive business connections when compared to Toronto. In fact, most of Toronto's economic activity is characterized more by the HQs of Canadian companies and the Canadian operations of international companies, although the population itself is much more 'cosmopolitan', it could be argued.

I could continue, but in short, these two cities and their metros are really quite different, especially in terms of built form and demographics... which both seem pretty important to me. In any case, if I had to make a comparison at all, I would argue that the inner-ring neighborhoods of Toronto resemble Cleveland or St. Louis, if those cities had not experienced marked declines. The suburbs of Toronto, however, much more closely resemble the newer suburbs of Sunbelt cities like Atlanta or Dallas than any other Northeastern or Great Lakes city on the continent.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:04 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,239,901 times
A couple of pics that show the scale of downtown Toronto and surrounding cityscape. It doesn't really remind me of either Boston or Cleveland. It's just too beastly.

City Skyscrapers by Andrew Wee, on Flickr

Sky high by Andrew Young, on Flickr

Old 02-21-2016, 10:33 PM

1,122 posts, read 923,638 times
awesome!!

Old 02-28-2016, 03:52 PM

150 posts, read 215,077 times
Boston is a really cool city but it isn't like Toronto. Both cities a very educated, wealthy, and financially/economically important but in terms of history, architecture, demographics, and lay out they have little to nothing in common.

Thankfully Toronto is absolutely NOTHING like Cleveland. No offence. They are both on a Great Lake. That's as far is it goes.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:28 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times
Neither. The US city most comparable to Toronto is Chicago IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City