Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:31 PM

182 posts, read 301,988 times

Advertisements

The closest thing I've seen is the Lower East Side of Manhattan. It's sort of similar in some ways with lots of vintage clothing stores and whatnot, but the built environment is very different. Is there anything in the USA similar to KM not only in terms of the types of businesses, but in terms of the built environment. KM has lots of businesses set well back from the street (many occupy old houses) that allow ample room for them to display their wares out front (or for ample patio seating if they're a bar/restaurant). Even the businesses closer to the street have an "open" feeling between the sidewalk and the inside of the store as long as the weather is nice, instead of doors that are kept shut.

If you're unfamiliar with KM, here are some Google Street Views to give you an idea of the look and feel.

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

Here you can see the CN Tower in the background, a little over 1 mile away:

Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 12:41 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Wow that place looks really cool! Thanks for posting this
It really reminds me of Brady Street in Milwaukee
East Brady Street, Milwaukee, WI - Google Maps

Old 12-30-2011, 12:48 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
A little bit like Pasyunk Sq in Philly; maybe Bella Vista

Based on the pics it doesnt look too much like the Lower East side to me at all

Old 12-30-2011, 12:53 PM

I guess a little, but I'm not seeing a lot of clothing stores and fruit/vegetable markets displaying a lot of their wares outside with their doors kept open. Or a lot of bars/restaurants with big patios out front. And the streets look a lot wider than Kensington. In Kensington the streets are so narrow and the traffic moves so slow that it's almost like a pseudo-pedestrian/bicycle mall.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Based on the pics it doesnt look too much like the Lower East side to me at all
Not the built environment, but the businesses (vintage clothing stores, indy record shops, funky bars and restaurants are similar). The LES' buildings are too close to the street for a lot of room to display wares outside with the business doors kept open. Or for large outdoor patios between restaurants and the sidewalk. The LES doesn't seem to have as many fruit/vegetable markets either. LES has also been getting some highrises in-between the old lowrise buildings, which would never be allowed in KM. One other thing, there are no wide streets cutting through KM. All the streets are very narrow where vehicular traffic moves very, very slowly.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:00 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Not exactly the same but sort of similar to Newbury Street / Boylston Street in Boston: Google Maps

Old 12-30-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I look at that on Google, and don't see any similarities. It seems to be almost 100% residential. I was talking more a place with clothing stores and food markets spilling out into the sidewalk, lots of restaurants with patios, almost 100% independent businesses (as opposed to chains), no banks, drug stores, or other banal businesses, narrow streets, slow moving traffic, an alternative, almost hippie-ish feel (like the "Roach or Rama", "Serving potheads since..uh I forget") place:

Google Maps

...or the AAA Army Surplus:

Google Maps

Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Looks strikingly similar to Magazine Street in Uptown New Orleans.

Magazine Street Merchants Association: Photos from Magazine Street

Some parts of the French Quarter come to mind as well, especially right along the river.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:51 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Born View Post
I look at that on Google, and don't see any similarities. It seems to be almost 100% residential. I was talking more a place with clothing stores and food markets spilling out into the sidewalk, lots of restaurants with patios, almost 100% independent businesses (as opposed to chains), no banks, drug stores, or other banal businesses, narrow streets, slow moving traffic, an alternative, almost hippie-ish feel (like the "Roach or Rama", "Serving potheads since..uh I forget") place:

Google Maps

...or the AAA Army Surplus:

Google Maps

I think maybe he meant the Italian market area near Passyunk Ave/9th St.
passyunk ave, philadelphia - Google Maps

Old 12-30-2011, 01:58 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
Wicker Park and Bucktown in Chicago has strips of shopping, much of which includes clothing thrift stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City