Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 09:07 AM

1,872 posts, read 6,491,768 times

Advertisements

IF I had to choose between Chicago and Seattle, it'd be a tough decision. On the one hand, I'd like to have more sun than what it sounds like you get in Seattle. On the other hand, the outdoor opportunities are much better in Seattle. On yet another hand, I don't like constant drizzling rain. But then again.......

Thankfully, I don't have to choose, so I won't. Would like to visit Seattle someday though -- those pictures look great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 09:18 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
What outdoor opportunities does Seattle offer over Chicago (besides the obvious mountains)? Just curious. When I was in Seattle, I didnt see anyone doing anything that you cant do in Chicago. The mountains you have to drive a ways to get to (the desolate ones), the water is usually way too cold to swim in, there are not any beaches that I saw along the waterfront, the hills in town are often too steep to attempt to ride/inline-skate/etc. Plus, when its drizzly all the time, who really has the desire to hike/swim/boat/etc? It just might be my opinion, but when it rains, Im indoors until it stops. Nothing worse than being soaked to the bone....

Old 07-20-2007, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What outdoor opportunities does Seattle offer over Chicago (besides the obvious mountains)?
Well, that's pretty big for me! Seriously though, I'm simply going on what I've heard from Seattle-ites on this board and some other folks I know. Outdoor opportunities in the "real outdoors" seem to be a part of their lives. I know several people who live in Seattle and hike, bike, kayak, and ski a lot. In Chicago, the lakefront path is the only option for outdoor recreation, and you'd have to drive a long way to get to real nature.

Maybe some of your Seattle residents can chime in -- do you get out to the mountains a lot, are there a lot of trails (paved or unpaved) in/near/around the city? Do you hike, bike, ski, swim, raft/kayak a lot?

Old 07-20-2007, 09:35 AM

478 posts, read 2,303,291 times
Quote:
What outdoor opportunities does Seattle offer over Chicago (besides the obvious mountains)? Just curious. When I was in Seattle, I didnt see anyone doing anything that you cant do in Chicago. The mountains you have to drive a ways to get to (the desolate ones), the water is usually way too cold to swim in, there are not any beaches that I saw along the waterfront, the hills in town are often too steep to attempt to ride/inline-skate/etc. Plus, when its drizzly all the time, who really has the desire to hike/swim/boat/etc? It just might be my opinion, but when it rains, Im indoors until it stops. Nothing worse than being soaked to the bone....
I work in the outdoor industry; I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that business is much more profitable in Seattle than in Chicago. This is largely because the culture in Seattle is not one that sees rain or clouds as detrimental to the overall outdoor experience. Generally speaking, the average outdoor person in Seattle is looking for opportunities to use their gear year-round, rain be darned! There's a reason why backpacks are more popular here than briefcases.

You look at the weather and see a deterrent to being outdoors. People here do not see that. When it rains in the winter in Seattle, it means that snow is coming down in the mountains (especially by the Pass), so people go to Snoqualmie and points similar in droves to take advantage.

As to who feels the desire to hike/swim/boat in the drizzle, honey, that stops no one here! There is a sizable subculture of people who jog/run/walk in the rain (myself included); all you need is a poncho or some other nylon-based shell and you just keep moving!

Fitness is a pretty big deal here, so much so that weather isn't even factored in. And most days, the "rain" you refer to is more of a cloudy drizzle, so it's not even uncomfortable to work out in it!

As to the steepness of the hills in Seattle, I personally love it! I've lost 10 pounds just from taking the public stairs -- of which Seattle has no less than 500 public stairs (News: Stairmaster (Seattle Weekly)) -- and that's no small feat. It helps with physical conditioning just to walk around downtown! It's amazing that gyms do any business around here, as there are so many fitness opportunities that are open to the public.

In short, Seattle is a very active town. I don't think the same culture exists in Chicago to the same degree. Not even close ...

Old 07-20-2007, 09:39 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Thanks for the response!!!!

Old 07-20-2007, 09:45 AM

478 posts, read 2,303,291 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response!!!!
For what it's worth, Chicago has better food! Haha!

It all evens out in the end. Chicago is nice in many ways (more ethnically diverse and "big city"-esque) and Seattle has its fine points (very laid-back and fitness-oriented).

Old 07-20-2007, 09:49 AM

I used to hate cloudy weather and rain in Chicago as well. In CO, it's different. Rain in the summer means lowered wildfire risks and that everything will be greener. And we PRAY for clouds in the winter, portending epic powder days!

Old 07-20-2007, 10:32 AM

19 posts, read 63,416 times
Chicago vs. NYC?
Well, I could afford to live in Chicago. NYC? Not so much.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:37 AM

19 posts, read 63,416 times
Chicago vs. Seattle?
Very different, but great in their own way. Chicago is bigger, more diverse, just feels like a big city. Seattle is much smaller and more "scenic". Each offers something different, which makes them both great.
Personally, I can tolerate the winters better than Seattle's mood-depriving overcast skies. Depends on your personality mostly.

As for NYC - great city to visit. Lots of fun. No way in h-e-l-l I would ever live there though. Too much of everything. How many overpriced restaurants can you really enjoy?

Old 07-20-2007, 01:24 PM

148 posts, read 765,467 times
Quote:
This is true Steve-o. I guess the city of the Seattle per say, or the metro area in general, really doesn’t offer much more outdoor activities than what Chicago offers.

The more correct statement would be that Seattle is more accessible to outdoor activities than Chicago.

Almost everything does require a drive here though. It’s not like we are climbing mountains right in the city of Seattle, LOL.

As for things to do: hiking, mountain climbing, rock climbing, white water rafting, swimming, fishing, hunting, etc. Really just about anything you can think of to do in nature.

Sure, Chicago is close nature, but the nature Seattle’s proximity is jaw dropping national parks and national forests.

But yes, you only get about 3 or 4 months of the year to do this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City