Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:13 PM

64 posts, read 162,580 times

Advertisements

Fresh from New York and ready to jump back on the plane for a return (hopefully permanent)....first off Id like to start this post by saying that I am a lifelong proud Chicagoan. Now let me proceed.

Women- Flat out...women in New York blow Chicago out of the ****in water. I am still in total disbelief of how many gorgeous women I witnessed in a 2 week period, unbelievable. Where Chicago has many pretty caucasian women, average hispanic women, and ok looking black women... NY has GORGEOUS women of all ethnic groups (Jamaican, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Belize, Black, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, European) with fairly decent attitudes. The hispanic women in NY will make one file for divorce and rethink his life plan. And I couldnt get enough of those Italian gals from Staten and Jersey...mm mmmm

Racism/prejudice- Now this is the reason I am ready to abandon this city. Throughout my visit to New York, I for once in my life felt like a man and not a "black man"....catch my drift. In Chicago, racism and prejudgement is par for the course, you WILL be judged by race and being that the bulk of the Chicago population are really transplants from suburban Chicago and other midwest cities most of the non-black people have never dealt with black people before moving here, therefore you get treated according to their cultural ignorance. Chicago is a "white" city and you are reminded of it every single day. Where as New York is a world city, there is no one ethnic group that has dominant influence. In Chicago if you arent a "Chad/Trixie" or a yuppie you get no respect, there is a low tolerance for differences in this city. But the New York caucasians completely changed my attitude towards white people, they are ****in REAL, down to earth, and truly sincere!!! They have a respect for black culture and can hold a converstion about hip-hop with the best of them. No pretentious midwest racist bull****. The black people in New York are intelligent, aware, and have a sense of worldliness to them unlike the Chicago blacks who are either ghetto/ignorant or poser wannabe buppies who are really a little ghetto deep down but close minded nevertheless. I blame most of this on the segregation of the communities. Enough of this cities disgust.

Food-New York has great restaurants all across the board from fine dining to corner vendors. The NY hotdog imo is inferior to the Chicago hotdog but the fact that you can still get one on any corner Manhattan makes it a winner in my book. But the thing that make NY better than Chicago foodwise is the fact that you can find a variety of mom and pop kind of delis and mini restaurants all over of different ethnicities, where in Chicago all we seem to have is franchises all over 6000 Subways and Chipotles with nothing to balance it out.

Shopping- LMAO!!!!!Soho alone blows out Chicago as a whole...just my opinion.

Housing- Chicago is the definite winner. New York has an old 80's feel where as Chi Town is on the forefront of affordable upscale living. But who cares in New York who in the hell wants to stay home.

Did I mention women? Yea I did, what the hell...those NY women are definitely worth another go. And there all over unlike Chicago where you may see a beautiful one every 20 minutes downtown, NO they are all over the ****ing place and on every corner.

The best thing about NY is that people dont ****ing constantly judge your every move and you feel a sense of freedom because nobody really gives a ****. whereas Chicago if you do, say or wear what people consider "wrong" you will be rejected/shunned.

So thats my asessment of NY. Final analysis......New York is a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better city than Mayor Daley's Cash Cow we know as Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 12:21 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,876,504 times
Firsthand takes are always best. But to be fair, New York is a much older city - and didn't Herr Rudy pretty much bulldoze the poor out of most of it?

I think Chicago is improving, it may just take another 50 years to really get us to a more cosmopolitan mindset. If NYC wasn't so expensive I think a lot of us would move there.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:30 PM

548 posts, read 1,251,511 times
I'm a black woman who is from New York, but moving to Chicago. Jeesh, you black men make me sick. You complain about racism and racist attitudes, yet you diss black women in a public thread. You can't have it both ways.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:54 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,022 times
I respect your opinion, and as a white male there are a few things you said that I can't really dispute from my own point of view, but I feel like debating some of the points that you said.

You said that most of the members of Chicago's population are transplants from the suburbs and other midwestern towns. You didn't mention it, but presumably you're referring to white people. You're not really making a point in that case, do you really think that even 1/50 of the white people in Manhattan are native to New York City??? I also feel that New York attracts people from across the country more than Chicago does, meaning that you'd see a higher population of the backwards ass white folk from the southern US.

Hearing Chicago get called "pretentious" relative to NYC is mind-boggling to me.

I also don't understand how Chicago is any more of a "white" city than New York. There are many neighborhoods that can be classified as white, but there are also vast parts of the city where you will not see or feel the direct influence of white people. And FYI Chicago is technically an alpha world city, one level below NY, London, Paris,

If New Yorkers are down to earth and sincere, then shoot me in the face because that is not the general impression, and definitely not the impression that I got. And there's at least one white person in Chicago (me) who can hold a fine conversation about hip hop.

Honestly, I'd like very much to know where you hung around/stayed in New York, because it feels like we're talking about two different places. You must have found some awesome hidden part of New York where people are friendly and down-to-earth, and/or you've been spending a lot of time in where all of the Chicago douchebags hang out.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:06 PM

Many people try to look for a paradise city that is seemingly perfect, but unfortunately that doesn't exist. Life is what you make it.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:09 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I'm a black woman who is from New York, but moving to Chicago. Jeesh, you black men make me sick. You complain about racism and racist attitudes, yet you diss black women in a public thread. You can't have it both ways.
Agree 100%...
And of course there are gorgeous women in NY. Some of the top modeling agencies are located there.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,308,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Furley View Post
Fresh from New York and ready to jump back on the plane for a return (hopefully permanent)....first off Id like to start this post by saying that I am a lifelong proud Chicagoan. Now let me proceed.

Women- Flat out...women in New York blow Chicago out of the ****in water. I am still in total disbelief of how many gorgeous women I witnessed in a 2 week period, unbelievable. Where Chicago has many pretty caucasian women, average hispanic women, and ok looking black women... NY has GORGEOUS women of all ethnic groups (Jamaican, Dominican, Puerto Rican, Belize, Black, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, European) with fairly decent attitudes. The hispanic women in NY will make one file for divorce and rethink his life plan. And I couldnt get enough of those Italian gals from Staten and Jersey...mm mmmm

Racism/prejudice- Now this is the reason I am ready to abandon this city. Throughout my visit to New York, I for once in my life felt like a man and not a "black man"....catch my drift. In Chicago, racism and prejudgement is par for the course, you WILL be judged by race and being that the bulk of the Chicago population are really transplants from suburban Chicago and other midwest cities most of the non-black people have never dealt with black people before moving here, therefore you get treated according to their cultural ignorance. Chicago is a "white" city and you are reminded of it every single day. Where as New York is a world city, there is no one ethnic group that has dominant influence. In Chicago if you arent a "Chad/Trixie" or a yuppie you get no respect, there is a low tolerance for differences in this city. But the New York caucasians completely changed my attitude towards white people, they are ****in REAL, down to earth, and truly sincere!!! They have a respect for black culture and can hold a converstion about hip-hop with the best of them. No pretentious midwest racist bull****. The black people in New York are intelligent, aware, and have a sense of worldliness to them unlike the Chicago blacks who are either ghetto/ignorant or poser wannabe buppies who are really a little ghetto deep down but close minded nevertheless. I blame most of this on the segregation of the communities. Enough of this cities disgust.

Food-New York has great restaurants all across the board from fine dining to corner vendors. The NY hotdog imo is inferior to the Chicago hotdog but the fact that you can still get one on any corner Manhattan makes it a winner in my book. But the thing that make NY better than Chicago foodwise is the fact that you can find a variety of mom and pop kind of delis and mini restaurants all over of different ethnicities, where in Chicago all we seem to have is franchises all over 6000 Subways and Chipotles with nothing to balance it out.

Shopping- LMAO!!!!!Soho alone blows out Chicago as a whole...just my opinion.

Housing- Chicago is the definite winner. New York has an old 80's feel where as Chi Town is on the forefront of affordable upscale living. But who cares in New York who in the hell wants to stay home.

Did I mention women? Yea I did, what the hell...those NY women are definitely worth another go. And there all over unlike Chicago where you may see a beautiful one every 20 minutes downtown, NO they are all over the ****ing place and on every corner.

The best thing about NY is that people dont ****ing constantly judge your every move and you feel a sense of freedom because nobody really gives a ****. whereas Chicago if you do, say or wear what people consider "wrong" you will be rejected/shunned.

So thats my asessment of NY. Final analysis......New York is a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better city than Mayor Daley's Cash Cow we know as Chicago.
never been to ny but have met my share of NYC'ers. I dont really have much to say about them but most of them i met were really cool. Some things i actually agree with u about, like racism which i wont get into, but im sure there are plenty of rascist in ny. As for black people being better in nyc than chicago. My dude just look up brownsville bloodz for some hood nyc cats. ya dig!

-mas23-

Old 08-28-2009, 01:12 PM

64 posts, read 162,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYchi View Post
I didnt diss black women! I just said the black women in Chicago are not the best looking in the country like say in Atlanta....and its true. You will see when you get here. I think all of the nice looking ones fled to hotter climates or something. Its a subject thats been discussed for years, for most guys from out of town thats usually there number one complaint. The black women in Chicago are all out of shape and fat, and all they care about is clothes and getting their hair done while everything else is shabby. In their minds they are "thick" but in reality they are obese. But the worse thing which is incredible to me is the fact that all of the black women here no matter how unattractive they are have the nerve to act "stuck up" as if they are "all of that", and they have screwed up nasty attitudes. Phenomenal. In Chicago the beauty scale is is taken down a few notches. A Chicago "10" is an LA "6" and a New York "6"!! I know this sounds shallow and piggish. Oh well.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Well if finding a female who is a 10 is your main reason for moving to New York, (which it seems to me) then good luck to you.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:18 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,600,467 times
Troll alert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City