Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 02:02 PM

5 posts, read 14,719 times

Advertisements

It seems as though people really don't pay much attention to Chicago, and I don't understand why. It seems that there is a bi-coastal focus (prejudice?) on NYC and LA, and Chicago is left out of the loop as the "other" city of the major three Alphas. I also frequently find that people from both Los Angeles and New York speak rather poorly about Chicago and its overall status, or they are indifferent to the city. I love my city but I don't understand why Chicago is not regarded in the same way as New York and Los Angeles. Is it because Chicago lacks an identity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 02:07 PM

758 posts, read 1,962,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwrotethis View Post
I love my city but I don't understand why Chicago is not regarded in the same way as New York and Los Angeles. Is it because Chicago lacks an identity?
Chicago is half the size of NYC and LA. Doesn't that basically answer your question?

After all, do you think Atlanta, Houston and Dallas match up with Chicago?

Keep in mind that these cities are MUCH closer in size to Chicago than Chicago is to New York and LA.

So basically, the problem isn't that Chicago isn't compared with NYC and LA; the problem is that some folks are delusional re. Chicago's relative size.

What would you think if someone came here and said "Gee, why isn't Seattle compared with Chicago?". That's basically what you're doing. Asking why a city can't be compared to one twice as large.

And if you compare other aspects, such as economy, Chicago falls further. Chicago has an economy comparable to DC or SF. It can't be compared with the Big Two.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:08 PM

8,633 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
It seems as though people really don't pay much attention to Chicago, and I don't understand why. It seems that there is a bi-coastal focus (prejudice?) on NYC and LA, and Chicago is left out of the loop as the "other" city of the major three Alphas. I also frequently find that people from both Los Angeles and New York speak rather poorly about Chicago and its overall status, or they are indifferent to the city. I love my city but I don't understand why Chicago is not regarded in the same way as New York and Los Angeles. Is it because Chicago lacks an identity?
I think you're nuts.

People do pay attention to Chicago; however, it isn't at the scale (population-wise) that NY and LA are, but comes in third (where it should). Be happy you don't live in Phoenix or you would never be happy. Our city gets spit on constantly here at CD.

As far as people from both LA and NY speaking rather poorly about Chicago, there are QUITE A FEW people from Chicago who talk the same trash about LA and NY (among other cities including Phoenix).

Old 11-04-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Chicago is half the size of NYC and LA. Doesn't that basically answer your question?

Keep in mind that these cities are MUCH closer in size to Chicago than Chicago is to New York and LA.

So basically, the problem isn't that Chicago isn't compared with NYC and LA; the problem is that some folks are delusional re. Chicago's relative size.

What would you think if someone came here and said "Gee, why isn't Seattle compared with Chicago?". That's basically what you're doing. Asking why a city can't be compared to one twice as large.

And if you compare other aspects, such as economy, Chicago falls further. Chicago has an economy comparable to DC or SF. It can't be compared with the Big Two.
All I'm saying is that Chicago is an Alpha world city, but it doesn't seem to matter. I know Chicago is small compared to NYC and LA, but that doesn't mean its insignificant. And you can't really make a comparison like "Seattle vs. Chicago" because they are different tiers of cities. NYC, LA, and Chicago are all in the same tier.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:25 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,320,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post

Half the size of NYC, yes, but how do you figure Chicago is half the size of LA?

And as far as Chicago's economy goes, the GaWC ranks Chicago as an "Alpha World City". Places like DC, SF, and Seattle are ranked as lesser cities than Chicago in terms of global economic influence.

The World According to GaWC 2008

You might also be interested to note that in another ranking, the Global Cities Index 2010, Chicago ranked 6th, behind only NYC, London, Tokyo, Paris, and Hong Kong, and one ranking ahead of LA. SF and DC are further down the list:

The Global Cities Index 2010

Old 11-04-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I think you're nuts.

People do pay attention to Chicago; however, it isn't at the scale (population-wise) that NY and LA are, but comes in third (where it should). Be happy you don't live in Phoenix or you would never be happy. Our city gets spit on constantly here at CD.

As far as people from both LA and NY speaking rather poorly about Chicago, there are QUITE A FEW people from Chicago who talk the same trash about LA and NY (among other cities including Phoenix).
I see trash-talking more often than not from NY and LA people toward Chicago. I've seen it referred to as the red-headed stepchild, the jealous little brother (of NYC and LA), etc.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:28 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,728,515 times
Chicago is not insignificant economically to NY and LA. Chicago is the nation's #1 manufacturing center. It is the 2nd largest financial market. I think pop culture pays less attention to Chicago. CD tends to play big on pop culture.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Half the size of NYC, yes, but how do you figure Chicago is half the size of LA?
LA has close to 18 million people in the CSA. Chicago has about 10 million, so it is almost half the size.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:32 PM

8,633 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
I see trash-talking more often than not from NY and LA people toward Chicago. I've seen it referred to as the red-headed stepchild, the jealous little brother (of NYC and LA), etc.
Then you must be reading different posts than I do. In addition, I'm under the impression that you are only speaking about CD members since I imagine that much of America is quite informed as to how important Chicago is.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:33 PM

177 posts, read 479,804 times
Who cares if people sleep on Chicago. Its a great city for those who are aware of it and have spent any significant amount of time there. Sure its not as heavily focused in the media since its not on the coasts, but thats part of the citys charm.

Anyway, as shown in the post above, Chicago is constantly ranked among the worlds greatest. Overall, its a top ten world city, without question. So the people who are actually in the know, and study things like economic influence and global connectivity etc, place its importance appropriately. Unlike the ultimate troll hater OhioSomeNumber who doesnt know diddly squat about such things and instead finds obscure items like a downtown McDonalds parking lot, and Crate and Barrel and Apple Store locations, to nitpick about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City