Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is baltimore more like northern or southern cities?
yes, like Philly 105 91.30%
no, its more like Richmond, Atl 10 8.70%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:54 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
And its even more "FOOLISH" for some country hick to claim that Richmond doesn't have any resemblance to Philly and Newark.....

And it is very "FOOLISH" to deny Maryland as being a Southern state just by judging Baltimore and DC

You sound bitter...lets use a little common sense here. Baltimore and Philly are almost identical in some cases and barely over an hour away from one another. There are blocks in both cities you would never be able to guess the difference in which city it was. Atlanta is 700 miles away and looks like a big urban suburb compared to Baltimore. No Richmond does not look like Newark and Philly its more reminiscent of Cleavland or Toledo if you ask me. Now Baltimore looks like Newark and Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 11:15 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
These are the major cities that I consider are Southern or "In the South" when thinking about the "Southern US" Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Jacksonville, Richmond, Raleigh-Durham, Charleston, the states of Alabama, Miss, & Louisiana, even Texas etc.

DC and Baltimore just don't fit into that equation. They are not a part of that region...Now you don't have to say they are the same as Boston, CT, & NY, but they would at least have to be split up into their own region i.e. "Mid-Atlantic"

I can honestly say with no hate in my heart that we truly look at those Southern cities I mentioned as an entirely different region of the country, the way the people act, react, and talk is just different from this area of the DMV. This is a very isolated metropolitan area in terms of mentality where we really are (no pun intended) "in our own world," that's just the mentality here it can't be duplicated anywhere in the country.

Old 11-13-2010, 11:22 PM

322 posts, read 614,801 times
Baltimore is in the south but its not southern. Maybe in comparison to Boston and NYC but Baltimore is in no way Southern.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:01 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,402,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Shut up.

No one in the south is giving a damn about Maryland; Maryland has little to no significance to what's going on down here in the south. Honestly, I think no one really cares what the hell Maryland is.

It's you who feel the need to go on rants about this every damn day; saying the same stuff. Give it a rest and realize you're alone on this.
Maryland is a Southern State and it ain't a Damn thing you or any other Maryland Hating Southerner can do to change it........

Your opinion will not ever dictate against the reality of Maryland being a Southern State so keep on ranting and blowing stink smoke cause' it won't change the Fact that Maryland is Southern State........

Old 11-14-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm83 View Post
That's funny my aunt uses that word all the time and she has lived in NY her whole life. I don't care where Baltimore is located geographically (if anything it's Mid-Atlantic even if you look on a map it is more than halfway up on the east coast) but it is by far more similar to Philly than it is Atlanta or any other southern city I can think of (even Richmond). By the way I am from Charlotte and my whole family is from New York, and while it is different from NY it is closer to NY than it is to Charlotte period.
So either way Baltimore is still in the South despite what you people down in Charlotte want to believe.......

I don't know what it is about you people down there having such a strange resentment towards Maryland and denial to the Fact that Maryland is in the South........

Northern Virginia is just as Northern(Culturally) than the Baltimore area but you people have no problems with Claiming ALL of Virginia as the South..........

Old 11-14-2010, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm83 View Post
Hell even the part of rural Maryland I stayed in for a while was more like the Northeast than rural NC or SC.
I've been to different Rural parts of Virginia and I felt like I was Pennsylvania but that doesn't mean that Virginia is Northern just like Maryland is not Northern despite what some of the Maryland Hating Southerners refuse to believe.......

Old 11-14-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Don't know why you think Southerners hate Maryland.
Read the answer to your question below:

Quote:
Because Maryland does not have much in common with the majority of the South. Sorry to tell you.
Sorry to tell you but your opinion does not dictate against the reality that Maryland is a Southern....

Quote:
Even Marylanders agree that they are not Southern (well except you). They don't.
And I will bet my Gold Watch that you have NEVER been to the state of Maryland(Especially the Eastern Shore and Southern Maryland) and experience the characteristics of Marylanders.........

You can not judge the Entire State of Maryland based on DC and what some people say about Baltimore.........

Quote:
They just do not think that Maryland has much in common with them.
Again your opinion that does not dictate against the reality that Maryland is a Southern State....

It doesn't matter what you say because until you actually visit Maryland you can not use Bull Sh-- stereotypes to prove a biased argument against the reality of Maryland being a Southern State..........

Old 11-14-2010, 03:23 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
I've been to different Rural parts of Virginia and I felt like I was Pennsylvania but that doesn't mean that Virginia is Northern just like Maryland is not Northern despite what some of the Maryland Hating Southerners refuse to believe.......
Maryland is not the south smk8795... kill that noise.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
You sound bitter...
No....

You Maryland bashing Southerners sound bitter which fueled someone to start this thread which fed other Maryland Bashing Southerners to post their biased opinion on why they don't want Baltimore to be part of the South.......

Quote:
lets use a little common sense here. Baltimore and Philly are almost identical in some cases and barely over an hour away from one another. There are blocks in both cities you would never be able to guess the difference in which city it was. Atlanta is 700 miles away and looks like a big urban suburb compared to Baltimore. No Richmond does not look like Newark and Philly its more reminiscent of Cleavland or Toledo if you ask me. Now Baltimore looks like Newark and Philly.
If you call that biased opinion rant ^ "Common Sense" then I have a Ocean Front Property that I want to sell you in Iowa..............

Old 11-14-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
These are the major cities that I consider are Southern or "In the South" when thinking about the "Southern US" Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Jacksonville, Richmond, Raleigh-Durham, Charleston, the states of Alabama, Miss, & Louisiana, even Texas etc.

DC and Baltimore just don't fit into that equation. They are not a part of that region...Now you don't have to say they are the same as Boston, CT, & NY, but they would at least have to be split up into their own region i.e. "Mid-Atlantic"

I can honestly say with no hate in my heart that we truly look at those Southern cities I mentioned as an entirely different region of the country, the way the people act, react, and talk is just different from this area of the DMV. This is a very isolated metropolitan area in terms of mentality where we really are (no pun intended) "in our own world," that's just the mentality here it can't be duplicated anywhere in the country.
Texas??????

I didn't bother reading the rest of your biased opinion......

Its obvious that people that deny Maryland as being part of the South are doing so based on personal resentment against the State especially if they are going to Claim Texas as being part of the South when it is actually part of the Greater Southwest............

Again I say that the people denying against the reality of Maryland being a Southern State has Never been to Maryland let alone Southern Maryland and the Maryland Eastern Shore..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City