Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the liveliest?
Memphis 5 4.13%
New Orleans 15 12.40%
Atlanta 57 47.11%
Philadelphia 13 10.74%
DC 31 25.62%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 03:27 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's really no reason to consult the Census and actual data when it comes to West Indians. Trinijunglejuice is the only trustworthy source for all things West Indian. Based on the size of Atlanta's carnival, I bet the area's West Indian population has quadrupled since 2000. It's becoming that large now. I think that most West Indians head to New York first, and then trickle down to DC because of Howard and the W.I. population down there. But now that the word's out about Atlanta, West Indians have been headed down there in droves.

Unplugged ft Gyazette, Judah and Freetown Collective | Jungle Juice - Let the Juice flow... Caribbean Entertainment at it's best!
Everyone seems to be heading down to Atlanta like its the land of milk and honey or something. I think its slowed down some.

@ the OP: Atlanta is the best option

Old 11-09-2010, 03:37 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,724,520 times
[quote=waronxmas;16590768]
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Isn't AA alcoholics anonymous?

Shorthand.

Because that's exactly what we are. African-Americans. We don't have a home country, so that's how we differentiate ourselves from West Indians and Africans.

You wouldn't think it's weird that someone identified themselves as Irish-American would you? Same thing. But since most white Americans know where their ancestors came from, you cant use the over arching European-American term for them as it's not as succinct.
This is where your wrong. America is our home country. We are a hybrid result of a clash of continents(Africa, Europe, and old America) through the middle passage. People like us did not exist a thousand years ago. We are quintessentially American. whether from the Islands or the Mainland. Most white people in America today came in migratory waves in the 19th and 20th centuries. We, on the other hand, are a product of colonial era African slaves, and their European masters. When you see a black person with the last name Jefferson, Hamilton, Washington, or Jackson etc. it is highly likely that through their veins runs founding fathers DNA. The history of the U.S. and carribean runs through our blood. Whether U.S. American or west indian American, we are American first and foremost. You should already know that.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:40 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
This is where your wrong. America is our home country. We are a hybrid result of a clash of continents(Africa, Europe, and old America) through the middle passage. People like us did not exist a thousand years ago. We are quintessentially American. whether from the Islands or the Mainland. Most white people in America today came in migratory waves in the 19th and 20th centuries. We, on the other hand, are a product of colonial era African slaves, and their European masters. When you see a black person with the last name Jefferson, Hamilton, Washington, or Jackson etc. it is highly likely that through their veins runs founding fathers DNA. The history of the U.S. and carribean runs through our blood. Whether U.S. American or west indian American, we are American first and foremost. You should already know that.
Actually I think that's what he was getting at.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohns252525 View Post
As a white dude, my understanding is the best cities for nighlife for black males are (in no particular order):
Chicago
DC
NYC
Atlanta
LA
Don't forget Houston. Extremely underrated when it comes to the hip hop scene.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:49 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
I agree, jluke.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Actually I think that's what he was getting at.
Definitley not what he was gettin at. He was repeating that garbage they teach to kids in grade school. No home country? What? We live in our home country.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:15 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Definitley not what he was gettin at. He was repeating that garbage they teach to kids in grade school. No home country? What? We live in our home country.
I'll let him speak for himself, but from my perspective, he was getting at the same thing you just said.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:17 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
That's what I was getting at. America is our home country.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'll let him speak for himself, but from my perspective, he was getting at the same thing you just said.

Then your reading comprehension is flawed.

Where not from anywhere else but, here. We are of the place. We are humanity's most recent ethnic creation, and damn near the whole world contributed to our creation(not just Africa). Without us there would be no America(as we know it), and without America(as we know it) there would be no us. We are intimately intertwined with America, and absolutely inseperable of it.

I just don't like threads like this, or the "black capitol" or whatever, it makes us sound alien to the place.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:54 PM

What makes DC and ATL have the best nightlife for black men? Don't tell me about strip clubs, tell me about something unique to those cities? Its seems like most ppl on this site jus go with what the media and pop culture tells them without really knowing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City