Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Carolina Versus Pennsylvania: Where Would You Rather Live; Which State Is More Important In Yo
PENNSYLVANIA! 98 52.41%
NORTH CAROLINA! 71 37.97%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL! 10 5.35%
NO OPINION! 8 4.28%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I can't agree with you more!
Looks like the poll is very close to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,644 times
anything goes over Pa just because of philly... yikes happy to get out of there crime ridden place!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:18 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiatoflorida View Post
anything goes over Pa just because of philly... yikes happy to get out of there crime ridden place!
Looks like you moved from the frying pan to the fire.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
As of this post now...

NC 84,939 City-Data threads with 1,030,034 posts
PA 31,146 City-Data threads with 463,425 posts

Clearly there's more interest in North Carolina.

Raleigh/Durham 36,364 threads with 431,053 posts
Charlotte 29,766 threads with 414,909 posts
These are the two most active "city" rooms on City-Data

Old 09-26-2012, 08:58 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
As of this post now...

NC 84,939 City-Data threads with 1,030,034 posts
PA 31,146 City-Data threads with 463,425 posts

Clearly there's more interest in North Carolina.

Raleigh/Durham 36,364 threads with 431,053 posts
Charlotte 29,766 threads with 414,909 posts
These are the two most active "city" rooms on City-Data

Makes sense, NC is growing faster and more people relocating there

Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Makes sense, NC is growing faster and more people relocating there
So I'd guess that more people would rathere live there...which is one of the OP questions.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
So I'd guess that more people would rathere live there...which is one of the OP questions.
Well not totally sure, NC has been very good at attracting business and jobs, thus people in that its cities are generally a bargain. More people still live in PA last I looked

I like NC, love the beaches and mountains but the cities dont interest me too much personally. Some great towns in NC though

Old 09-26-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well not totally sure, NC has been very good at attracting business and jobs, thus people in that its cities are generally a bargain. More people still live in PA last I looked

I like NC, love the beaches and mountains but the cities dont interest me too much personally. Some great towns in NC though
...and I think there are some great towns in Pennsylvania.

However, I think it's a bit oversimplistic to say that interest in NC is due cities being bargains. Heck, Pittsburgh is a bargain. Other towns in PA are bargains as well. Costs are but one enabler.
Most of NC's growth is driven by the diversified economies of the Triangle and Charlotte. In the Triangle, access to talent is huge driver of the area's growth. As one of the most educated metros in the nation, talent begets talent and sucess begets success. It's one of the areas of the country that successfully positioned itself decades ago to be part of "tomorrow's" economy. It didn't happen overnight and it didn't happen because it was a bargain. It was purposeful, strategic and a response to the brain drain that the state was experiencing in the decades preceeding the 50s. It's paid off in spades for Raleigh/Durham.
Charlotte's taking it a bit on the chin at the moment because of the lingering effects of the banking meltdown of 2008 but it's also using the opportunity to balance the eggs in its basket. I am not from Charlotte and I can't speak to it in the same way but I am sure a Charlottean can chime in here for more info.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,449 times
I voted PA for one reason: Pittsburgh. Modern Pittsburgh of today (as opposed to its steel-based dirty unaesthetic roots) would be my top pick for which city out of any in PA or NC to live in. NC cities are just ok although I like the NC weather much better than the PA weather, and Philly was ok to visit, but I didn't much like it- I didn't at all feel like "gee I wish I had more time to spend in Philly." I am fond of today's Pittsburgh, though. If PA didn't have Pittsburgh, I'd vote NC. But it does, so I didn't.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
...and I think there are some great towns in Pennsylvania.

However, I think it's a bit oversimplistic to say that interest in NC is due cities being bargains. Heck, Pittsburgh is a bargain. Other towns in PA are bargains as well. Costs are but one enabler.
Most of NC's growth is driven by the diversified economies of the Triangle and Charlotte. In the Triangle, access to talent is huge driver of the area's growth. As one of the most educated metros in the nation, talent begets talent and sucess begets success. It's one of the areas of the country that successfully positioned itself decades ago to be part of "tomorrow's" economy. It didn't happen overnight and it didn't happen because it was a bargain. It was purposeful, strategic and a response to the brain drain that the state was experiencing in the decades preceeding the 50s. It's paid off in spades for Raleigh/Durham.
Charlotte's taking it a bit on the chin at the moment because of the lingering effects of the banking meltdown of 2008 but it's also using the opportunity to balance the eggs in its basket. I am not from Charlotte and I can't speak to it in the same way but I am sure a Charlottean can chime in here for more info.
If you read my post I said jobs as the catalyst and ability to attract them and do agree that is has a snowballing effect.

PA is an awful for business attraction, this is the biggest difference between the two.

Charlotte seemed to have been fueled most by the banking industry. The Triangle by tech and especially healthcare. RDU is still pretty small but growing rapidly (It is about the size of the DE and NJ portions of the Philly metro. RDU and Philly actually share some commonalities on industries (Meds/Eds) Philly a little more finance and RDU a little more tech so to speak.

RDU has really done a nice job attracting educated transplants and retaining some area educated talent.

I think you are actually mis reading my sentiment on the cities and towns (I would agree both PA and NC have some great towns, though to me NC is better on the whole as PA towns are better in the direct vicinity of Philly moreso than the middle of the state). I actually really do like NC, wish PA was a little more progressive business wise. The large cities in PA are finally pulling themselves out from the industrial decline. On the cities I really have no issue with either RDU or Charlotte as places. To me they dont offer the urban lifestyle I prefer in cities but both are very admirable in many many regards and I really do enjoy Chapel Hill and on bucket list is a Duke/UNC game at Duke

The outer banks are amazing etc

I would actually say save a few states NC is my favorite and is my favorite in the South (If Charleston was only in NC it would be even higher).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City