Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: North Carolina Versus Pennsylvania: Where Would You Rather Live; Which State Is More Important In Yo
PENNSYLVANIA! 98 52.41%
NORTH CAROLINA! 71 37.97%
TOO CLOSE TO CALL! 10 5.35%
NO OPINION! 8 4.28%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 04:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,154,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
RDU and Philly actually share some commonalities on industries (Meds/Eds) Philly a little more finance and RDU a little more tech so to speak.
I agree with you. The Triangle has a significant BioMed/Pharm industry that links it fairly strongly to New Jersey and the greater Philly area. I also agree that the Triangle has more tech with IBM, Cisco, SAS, Lenovo, NetApp and RedHat coming first to mind as big players in the Triangle. Citrix is soon to follow with its announced campus in DT Raleigh in the Warehouse District. You are also correct that the Triangle has a much smaller financial sector than exists in Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 08:49 AM

178 posts, read 583,192 times
As far as tourists, I think that NC has more visitors for their mountains and beaches. PA has no beaches, so that's out, and their mountains are usually people who already HAVE houses in the Pocono's already. (Many of those houses are owned by people with in driving distance-NY, PA, NJ etc) and almost all of the mountain houses I have looked at have golf courses, and pools, and major amenities in gated communities....I mean-why even go into the mountains???? The Mountains in NC can be used more year round also, where as PA ones can be closed in the Winter (besides ski attractions etc). So as far as people coming from afar, I think that NC has more visitors for their outdoor attractions from all over the US...where PA's attractions may only be towards it's cities.

I prefer NC over PA for it's safety. I feel like PA has way too many small towns with high crime. What about Mt. Pocono. I don't want to take my family for a nice hike near the mountains in some little town and get shot or mugged. From speaking to people on here, Mt. Pocono has some high crime and is dangerous, along with a million other towns here. I guess proximity to NYC has a lot to do with it.

Philly has some nice areas, like Rittenhouse Square area and the wealthy areas, but you will pay a million to live there. But huge chunks of Philly are gross, dirty, trashy, and look like they are falling apart, especially some areas right outside of the city. I would not want to live there. The rest of PA, say mid to North of the whole state is a whole lot of nothing. Really not much there. The metro areas, are very expensive, and they engulf the whole entire area (at least Philadelphia) and you have to live in the metro area to commute to the city, that is one thing I like better about NC cities, that you can live outside of it, if you choose, and still commute there. That, or the NC cities themselves you can buy a cute single family home with a yard right in the city for a reasonable price too. I guess Philadelphia is just too big a city for me. And the rest has nothing to offer. Pittsburgh is nice but very cloudy and gray and has horrible air quality.

So I would choose NC of the 2. The only reason I choose PA at the moment is the location...closer drive to New England!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:06 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Philly has some nice areas, like Rittenhouse Square area and the wealthy areas, but you will pay a million to live there. But huge chunks of Philly are gross, dirty, trashy, and look like they are falling apart, especially some areas right outside of the city.
I didn't really want to slam Philly because it does have some nice spots- but that was pretty much my experience when I visited there a couple years ago. I found the (non-wealthy) residential architecture largely lacking and uninspiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Pittsburgh is nice but very cloudy and gray and has horrible air quality.
Yet interestingly enough, Pittsburgh has much better developed bike trails running from downtown out than does Charlotte. Philly does as well. (Looking at the large cities in both states)

Old 09-27-2012, 02:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Looks like you moved from the frying pan to the fire.
Ha well there sure isnt much crime here in florida where i live nice and peaceful families..back in philly gangs literally outside my door step

Old 09-27-2012, 02:06 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiatoflorida View Post
Ha well there sure isnt much crime here in florida where i live nice and peaceful families..back in philly gangs literally outside my door step

Generally my experience as well...

Old 09-27-2012, 08:21 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killadelphiatoflorida View Post
Damn gangs. Every morning I have to fight them off my doorstep before going to work. Then when I get home, guess what. I have to fight them off my doorstep again to get into my house. Day in and day out it seems I'm continually having to clear gangs off my doorstep. Just an hour ago, I had to cut 5 gangbangers just so I could go get a pint of Ben and Jerrys. It's a tough life here in Philly.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:42 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,392 times
North Carolina, mostly because it's in the South. I never want to leave this region of the country.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:47 PM

185 posts, read 567,302 times
I wonder what the general opinion on this topic is now, 7 years after the last post. My husband and I are from the western part of PA (Latrobe) but we currently live in the Raleigh area of NC. We’re feeling the pull of a move home but are reluctant to go through with it. Any updated thoughts about the two states?

Old 06-04-2019, 06:33 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,329,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampetry View Post
I wonder what the general opinion on this topic is now, 7 years after the last post. My husband and I are from the western part of PA (Latrobe) but we currently live in the Raleigh area of NC. We’re feeling the pull of a move home but are reluctant to go through with it. Any updated thoughts about the two states?
Funny, I am playing with the idea of returning to PA / Philadelphia. I have lived in New York for 5 years and miss the PA / Philadelphia very much, just haven't been motivated enough to figure out a plan.

But relating to the thread, I would say the general consensus would be the same now, both great states, but PA checks most boxes a bit better than North Carolina, plus it has a much larger economy.

And its no shot at North Carolina, PA is just tough competition.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:58 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Pennsylvanians are more likely to move here than North Carolinians are to move there for what it’s worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City