Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 03:28 PM

468 posts, read 791,006 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is a particularly tough competitor for Boston because it is also well educated — 46.3 percent of the adults in Fulton County, which surrounds Atlanta, have college degrees. The share of adults in Middlesex County, that have completed college is only slightly higher: 48.5 percent.

From Boston Globe
Sunny pitch to lure Hub’s industries - The Boston Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:36 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,443,199 times
I think overall Boston still definitely holds an edge over ATL. Atlanta's highest ranked local schools Georgia Tech and Emory though great schools don't come close to MIT and Harvard (Although when you compare cost to attend with quality of education they definitely probably give you way more bang for your buck especially considering HOPE often pays for much of if not all of ones education there).

Atlanta suceeds well in attracting well educated migrants but I think it needs to improve it's job base to provide more lucrative jobs for those well qualified transplants.

Where Boston really beats out Atlanta though is the number of and quality of technology jobs created as a result of it's local universities. Boston tech firms and start ups recieve far more in venture capital money and way more is spent on major research that helps contribute to the local tech industries in Boston.

I think the next big step for Atlanta needs to be finding a way to vastly improve research spending at it's universities to more match Bostons, Silicon Valley's and North Carolina's tech triangle. With this hopefully would come more venture capitalism and high tech industry.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:43 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,111,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I think overall Boston still definitely holds an edge over ATL. Atlanta's highest ranked local schools Georgia Tech and Emory though great schools don't come close to MIT and Harvard (Although when you compare cost to attend with quality of education they definitely probably give you way more bang for your buck especially considering HOPE often pays for much of if not all of ones education there).

Atlanta suceeds well in attracting well educated migrants but I think it needs to improve it's job base to provide more lucrative jobs for those well qualified transplants.

Where Boston really beats out Atlanta though is the number of and quality of technology jobs created as a result of it's local universities. Boston tech firms and start ups recieve far more in venture capital money and way more is spent on major research that helps contribute to the local tech industries in Boston.

I think the next big step for Atlanta needs to be finding a way to vastly improve research spending at it's universities to more match Bostons, Silicon Valley's and North Carolina's tech triangle. With this hopefully would come more venture capitalism and high tech industry.
I agree. As for the next big step there's alot of research parks being plan.

Downtown Atlanta may get bio corridor - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Bio park developers see bait in Lake Oconee area - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Fort McPherson’s biotech makeover moves forward - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 03-10-2011, 10:40 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,844,316 times
I didnt know Atlantas workforce was that educated

Old 03-10-2011, 10:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,970,507 times
Not to be nitpicky but Middlesex has just about 1.5 times the population of Fulton, so with a higher percentage they outnumber by roughly 1.7 or so to 1. Are other counties up to the same % as Fulton. Atlanta is most definately an educated workforce and populace and continues to make strides every year but to campare to boston at this point may be a little premature in this regard.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:23 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,472,819 times
Here are the official stats:

National Averages:
25 years or older with:
Bachelor's Degree: 31.3%
Graduate or higher: 11.3%

Atlanta:
25 years or older with:
Bachelor's Degree: 34.1%
Graduate or higher: 11.9%

Boston
:
25 years or older with:
Bachelor's Degree: 42.2%
Graduate or higher: 18.3%

So overall, Boston is more educated than Atlanta by a relatively sizable margin. Atlanta is a tick or two higher than the national average, while Boston is among the elite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City