Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:58 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times

Advertisements

I don't get why this thread has to be about the ghettos of Baltimore. Baltimore and Cleveland both have tough areas. This BS has ruined a potentially great comparison of two historic cities.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:59 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,870,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
Living in Baltimore but having been to Cleveland for work and play, I am sticking to Baltimore. Both cities have their issues and there are many pluses for Cleveland. But, I seldom use my car and prefer Baltimore for it's walkability. The city itself is pretty dense for easy commuting and getting to places without a car. Location plays a factor also and Baltimore sits in a pretty prime locale. It's close to both the mountains and the ocean.

This whole Cleveland/Akron thing is pretty bizarre. I mean, why bother?
Good point, I like both cities too, but I find the walkability of Baltimore better than Cleveland. I also find the downtown of Baltimore more intertwined with the surrounding neighborhoods (which I find to be really important when seeing the city on foot).

Old 11-25-2010, 07:50 PM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
johndbaumgardner-- several of your pictures are not of baltimore. when you exaggerate to try to make a point, you end up undermining your argument. i see the south bronx in at least one of those pictures. nevertheless, are you seriously attempting to convince anyone here that cleveland doesn't have awful, burned-out neighborhoods? every city does. you need to get a grip.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:24 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
[quote=slengel;16785422 are you seriously attempting to convince anyone here that cleveland doesn't have awful, burned-out neighborhoods? every city does. [/QUOTE] The photos that I posted are actual photos of Baltimore. You need new glasses, please re-read my posts again. In at least one of my posts in this thread, I pointed out that Cleveland, like Baltimore and every other major US city, has ghetto areas. STOP pretending that Baltimore doesn't share in this dubious distinction, because it does!

Old 11-26-2010, 03:54 AM

976 posts, read 2,241,836 times
john, give up. you posted pics of several different cities. you aren't a very good fact checker. just because some people prefer baltimore over your beloved cleveland doesn't mean you have to become an emotional wreck over it. you need to grow up.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:21 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Cleveland is a nice enough city. It's just that it was so cold when I went there in March one year that I couldn't stand outside for more than 2 mintues. Have to try again some other time.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:27 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,760,626 times
It does have an elevated portion of the subway, though like previously stated, it was built in the 80s and therefore looks similar to Miami's. It does not look like the photo John showed, however. That photo would be of The Bronx i believe. Most tourists do not get to see the elevated portion of the subway due to the fact that it is located in Northwest Baltimore, where tourists rarely venture unless for the Preakness. The elevated portion is roughly two miles.

Baltimore subway photos? - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

Old 11-26-2010, 11:16 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
That looks like the rogers ave station. Or west coldspring.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:36 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,531,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
It does have an elevated portion of the subway, though like previously stated, it was built in the 80s and therefore looks similar to Miami's. It does not look like the photo John showed, however. That photo would be of The Bronx i believe. Most tourists do not get to see the elevated portion of the subway due to the fact that it is located in Northwest Baltimore, where tourists rarely venture unless for the Preakness. The elevated portion is roughly two miles.

Baltimore subway photos? - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity
Thanks for setting me straight. I stand corrected.

Old 11-27-2010, 04:51 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
John, with all due respect, I'm thinking you do not understand how Google Images works. When you type in certain text, Google Images brings up photos from webpages which contain that text, whether or not the photos themselves actually depict what the text says.

If you do a Google Image search on "Baltimore Ghetto", for example, Google will return to you any images available on any webpage that contains the words "Baltimore" and "ghetto" somewhere in the text of that page, whether or not those images actually depict Baltimore ghetto scenes, or depict something else entirely.

It is then your job, as the searcher, to look at the actual webpages themselves and determine in what context the image displayed appears, and whether or not it actually depicts what you're looking for. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City