Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 03:27 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Deezus and Ohio248, can you verify that San Jose doesn't have a great downtown? If you guys can, then I would have to accept Manhattan style of urban fabric, which is no defined downtown or downtown scene. If you guys can somehow pull it off, I would cry like a baby. By the way, that little strip mall downtown is what makes other cities jealous. It has Target, Marshall, TJ Max, Trader's Joes and all the conviences of retail services that mall provide for the downtown residences. Only 1/2 mile from middle of downtown core.
So what makes San Jose downtown special is it off price discount department stores in strip malls . Hmm and you think people are drawn to downtown San Jose to shop in its strip malls ? Are the strip malls a large tourism draw ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 03:31 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Well this is 4 years old but apparently SJ is in good company - ~1,502 other towns also have a target

How many targets are there in the U.S.? - Yahoo! Answers

Old 12-06-2010, 03:44 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well this is 4 years old but apparently SJ is in good company - ~1,502 other towns also have a target

LOL

I will say though I like Targét (<---notice the appropriately accented e) a whole lot more than Walmart or (ewww) Kmart. It has a modern department store feel, rather than the cheaply made crap-esque feeling you get from Walmart or Kmart.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:52 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Manhattan has a Target too (not that it matters), so if you want your crappy discount shopping, then yes, you can do that in Manhattan too.

Old 12-06-2010, 04:10 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
Ohio248, you still haven't proven that San Jose doesn't have a good or great downtown yet. If you can, I would bow. Do you feel that Dt. San Jose is not lively and nice? If you can prove it, then I would think Manhattan is a cool borough. If you can't, I rest my case.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:04 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Ohio248, you still haven't proven that San Jose doesn't have a good or great downtown yet. If you can, I would bow. Do you feel that Dt. San Jose is not lively and nice? If you can prove it, then I would think Manhattan is a cool borough. If you can't, I rest my case.
You don't have a case.

There is not one person on earth besides yourself who would claim that San Jose has a better downtown than NYC.

Hell, there isn't one person on earth who would claim San Jose has a better downtown than San Francisco, which is like one-tenth the size of NYC's core.

You see, when you make a wild claim, it's YOUR responsibility to prove it.

So please prove your claim that suburban San Jose has the greatest downtown in the universe.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,708,533 times
LOL Durf is one delusional character.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:01 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,171,887 times
Ohio248, what downtown in Manhattan? It doesn't have a downtown. Lower Manhattan with a huge hole in the middle. Lower Manhattan is Detroit downtown of 21st century that has TriBeca and SoHo as ok neighborhoods with some stores and restaurants just like Greektown in Dt. Detroit in the 80's-just an isolated pockets of activities in an otherwise drappy place.

I never said Dt. San Jose is the best downtown in the world. Can you find it on my prior post? It has a nice downtown with everything packed together, nightclubs, office, housing, entertainment, university, stores and restaurants. Alot of cities downtowns segregate these uses, not San Jose.

Ohio248, you thereby failed to prove that San Jose doesn't have a downtown that is decent, so I, unfortunatey, not going to adapt Manhattan's semi vertical LA style development. I'm so anti-LA which is a hole in a donut. New York is semi vertical version of LA. I'm a downtown person, and there is no downtown in New York unless you want to call 9/11 site as your downtown with very few active, noteworthy neighborhoods. I ran away from LA. New York is LA on the east coast.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:17 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,802 times
I'd compare San Jose to Waterloo... 'tis a fine comparison. Waterloo is a "tech" city. RIM (Blackberry) has it's HQ there. Population-wise it's about the same too. But please don't compare SJ to Montreal bro!

Old 12-07-2010, 01:41 AM

10 posts, read 17,849 times
Chicago and Quebec
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City