Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Queen City of the plains or City of Angels?
SoCal (L.A.) 188 65.73%
Front Range (Denver) 98 34.27%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 05:04 PM

572 posts, read 708,441 times

Advertisements

^
What?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 05:30 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
^
What?
To explain again but reallizing I am very defensive and not entirely objective..I stated that Downtown Denver's restaurants equate to LA's best restaraunts..however I must clarify. LA'S best places are underrated and could compete with dare I say it NYC..the point is over all LA's west side is better but more like downtown Denver, Downtown LA on average has more on average to Omaha Nebraska than Denver.
In other words West side LA is LA's dining scene, downtown LA..sheeesh what a let down.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:33 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Oh my...well this is embarrassing.

Since the last time I responded, I've taken off my Denver boosterism glasses. Although Denver is a great city and I think it does amazingly well for it's size, the whole entire Front Range is still only slightly larger than LA's city proper. 18 million Vs 3 million...well obviously LA is going to win, and rightfully so. It's the 2nd largest (and most important) city in the US. I think Denver barely makes it in the top 20 for importance.

Last edited by Mezter; 12-16-2013 at 05:43 PM..

Old 12-16-2013, 05:47 PM

572 posts, read 708,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
To explain again but reallizing I am very defensive and not entirely objective..I stated that Downtown Denver's restaurants equate to LA's best restaraunts..however I must clarify. LA'S best places are underrated and could compete with dare I say it NYC..the point is over all LA's west side is better but more like downtown Denver, Downtown LA on average has more on average to Omaha Nebraska than Denver.
In other words West side LA is LA's dining scene, downtown LA..sheeesh what a let down.
It's competing with a lot of high profile areas though. That said, I think it will be an amazing place for food, retail and entertainment. It's not there yet. It's getting there. But the potential is incredible.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:50 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,150,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmsTown View Post
It's competing with a lot of high profile areas though. That said, I think it will be an amazing place for food, retail and entertainment. It's not there yet. It's getting there. But the potential is incredible.
Agreed. DTLA still needs more time, but it is on the right track. 5 years from now, threads like these will look absolutely hilarious and the DTLA naysayers will feel silly.

Old 12-16-2013, 05:56 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,811,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
Agreed. DTLA still needs more time, but it is on the right track. 5 years from now, threads like these will look absolutely hilarious and the DTLA naysayers will feel silly.
Quite frankly it's straight out offensive to LA that the second largest US market doesn't have some serious respect in it's downtown, but yes it will come. When it does, it will arrive BIG.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Quite frankly it's straight out offensive to LA that the second largest US market doesn't have some serious respect in it's downtown.
Not really. LA has multiple hubs, which is why DTLA hasn't gotten the love like other cities do. I want DTLA to improve but I also want our other hubs to improve and not get neglected, which is why I'm ok with DTLA not getting all the projects. I'm fine with an equal distribution of development throughout the city. Some of the cities with great downtowns aren't perfect by any stretch.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:01 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,695,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I don't get why people don't like DTLA. I thought the Fashion district and Santee Alley were really cool. I love how international it felt.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:04 PM

110 posts, read 145,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I don't get why people don't like DTLA. I thought the Fashion district and Santee Alley were really cool. I love how international it felt.
Too many brownies for whities, and all the shops and litter that come with them.

Old 12-16-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
I love DTLA. I'm a huge fan of it getting the love it deserves. The changes have been dramatic since I was a kid in the 90's and now every time I go back I am more and more amazed by the energy and all of the activities and development going on, but there are still quite a few dead zones that need to be ironed out. I am 100% confident that we'll get there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City