Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wqh595 View Post
Tell me a little more about why they are similar, meaning which neighborhoods contain this and that?
My DH and I were talking about how interesting it is that the intown areas of both cities were experiencing gentrification at just about the same time. In the 1960's, Atlanta's Midtown and Seattle's Capitol Hill had just about hit rock bottom; today, they are each considered one of the most desirable neighborhoods in their respective cities.
One thing that is interesting about Seattle (and makes it distinct from Atlanta and most other cities) is that even in neighborhoods that are considered not particularly desirable, water access will increase home values quickly. I remember asking my DH on an early visit to Seattle where the 'good' neighborhoods were. He responded,"All over. Just drive towards the water; you'll find them."

My favorite neighborhoods in Seattle:

Capitol Hill - funky, great business district. 'Cottagey' style homes.

Madison Park
- beautiful park, early 20th century mansions.

West Seattle
- great entertainment district; it's hilly waterfront location affords some spectacular panoramic views of the Sound and downtown Seattle. 30's - 50's era bungalow-style houses.

Queen Anne Hill
- my personal fave; great commercial district, wonderful old Georgian and Tudor-style homes. This iconic view of Seattle is taken from Kerry Park in Queen Anne Hill.

Madrona - Welcome to Madrona! - Madrona Neighborhood

Magnolia - Magnolia Voice » A news blog for Seattle's Magnolia neighborhood

Ballard - Holidays in the Seattle neighborhood of Ballard | Part of the In Ballard Merchants Association

Vashon Island - Welcome

Further out, you'll find some of the city's best suburbs around Lake Washington:

Mercer Island - City of Mercer Island - HOME

Medina - CITY OF MEDINA, WASHINGTON -- Medina News and Events

Bellevue
- Home Page (Official City of Bellevue Website) (Official City of Bellevue Website)

Lake Forest Park - Welcome to the City of Lake Forest Park

Kenmore - City of Kenmore - Home page

Bothell -http://www.ci.bothell.wa.us/

Inglewood/Finn Hill - Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Kirkland - Kirkland Washington Official City Website - Welcome!

In Atlanta, some of my favorites include -

Midtown/Ansley Park - just above downtown, the neighborhood ranges from dense, high-rise living to leafy, early 20th century residential streets. Ansley Park is arguably the toniest area of Midtown with early 20th century manses surrounding a cluster of parks.

Virginia-Highland/Morningside - bungalows and foursquare-style neighborhoods surround a charming retail and entertainment district. Morningside offers houses that are newer than Va-Hi (20's - 40's era), and has a bit more of a suburban vibe than it's neighbor to the south.

Druid Hills - an Olmstead-designed chain of parks run through an upscale area of early 20th century mansions with estate sized lots.

Inman Park/Candler Park/Little Five Points - L5P is a funky, counter-culture commercial district that straddles these two great neighborhoods. Inman Park is primarily known for it's collection of beautiful Victorians, Candler Park offers smaller, bungalow style housing.

Decatur - early 20's - era neighborhoods surround a charming business district with an old courthouse at its' center.

Buckhead/Brookhaven - Atlanta's quintessential 'old money' enclaves, their respective neighborhoods actually run the gamut from imposing mansions to charming, cottage style housing. At Buckhead's center is a dense cluster of high-rises; for this reason, Buckhead is often compared to Seattle's Bellevue.

Further out, you will find that most of Atlanta's most desirable suburbs are on the north side of the metro:

Vinings - Vinings Georgia| Restaurants | Shops & Services | Associations

Sandy Springs - City of Sandy Springs - Home

East Cobb - East Cobb, Georgia Home Owners Association, Civic Government - ECCA

Roswell - City of Roswell, GA - Official Website

Alpharetta - City of Alpharetta Website || HOME

Cumming - City of Cumming, Ga "Gateway to Leisure Living"

Dunwoody - Welcome to the City of Dunwoody Georgia

Johns Creek - Johns Creek, Georgia - Find out what's new from the official City website

Suwanee - Welcome to Suwanee, Georgia

Oak Grove - Oak Grove Georgia : Atlanta Georgia Neighborhood Information & Events

Last edited by Yac; 01-03-2011 at 06:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 02:19 PM

9 posts, read 35,843 times
So far it looks like I'm leaning towards a move to Seattle. But I really think I should visit both and see them for myself.
Anything I should keep in mind while visiting Atlanta and Seattle?

Old 12-01-2010, 02:30 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
I like Seattlanta better than Attle.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:36 PM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
So far it looks like I'm leaning towards a move to Seattle. But I really think I should visit both and see them for myself.
Stay in Midtown Atlanta, not downtown. Rent a car and drive around to all the areas on the east and northeast side of the city.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:28 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Yes; that the COH in Seattle is probably about 1.3X that of Atlanta.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:59 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Stay in Midtown Atlanta, not downtown. Rent a car and drive around to all the areas on the east and northeast side of the city.
Another Downtown hater for no reason.Centennial Olympic Park,Coca-Cola museum,MLK Jr,Hard Rock Cafe,etc.....
Stay Downtown at The Glenn,The Ellis Hotel,The Ritz Carlton.Steps to MARTA stations where you can ride to all other parts of the city.

Weather-Atlanta
People are friendlier-Atlanta
Cost of Living -Atlanta
Tie for Things to do-but in Atlanta.Carter Presidential LibraryStone MountainAbundance of Museums and growing.Mountains and waterfalls,Savannah est1733 for a weekend getaway to the ocean,the largest Aquarium in the world
History-Civil War,Revolutionary War,Music Icons,Civil Rights
Transportation-Ease of Travel-Atlanta Worlds busiest Airport.Aceess to more large population centers
Shopping-Atlanta hands down
Education-(Higher goes to Atlanta)(Early to Seattle)Emory University,Georgia Tech,Georgia State University,Morehouse College
Subway(MARTA)
Companies like:CNN,Turner Broadcasting,Home Depot,Coca Cola,At&T Mobility,Sony-Ericson North America,Porsche N.A.,etc...
If you are moving to the suburbs,the Atlanta wins hands down.That includes decent schools too.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:33 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,825,742 times
I use to direct day camps for elementary age children in the Seattle area . I can say Seattle area has a large abundance of educational trips for kids. The metro area has 3 zoo,s , 2 aquariums. Seattle center next to downtown has a 25,000 square ft childrens Museum,Pacific Science Center one of the top five science centers in US. It has the Museum of flight the largest private air and space Museum in the world also in Seattle. Experience Music Project museum is in Seattle also fun for children. Tacoma also has the largest car museum in the world opening next year. And your a day trip to 3 national parks close by. Sking,Mountain biking,hiking, rafting,beaches year around. Seattle has community centers in most its neighborhoods. They are modern gyms game rooms and places for kids to hang out . The library system in Seattle is top ranked in the nation and the most used. Thats my experience in Seattle with kids.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:43 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Another Downtown hater for no reason.Centennial Olympic Park,Coca-Cola museum,MLK Jr,Hard Rock Cafe,etc.....
Stay Downtown at The Glenn,The Ellis Hotel,The Ritz Carlton.Steps to MARTA stations where you can ride to all other parts of the city.
Calm down pelase. It's merely my opinion that Midtown is a better glimpse of the city than Downtown and has a lot of really nice SFH neighborhoods within a short walk of the business areas and hotels.

Staying in Downtown is okay, but staying in Midtown is better imo.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:41 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Calm down pelase. It's merely my opinion that Midtown is a better glimpse of the city than Downtown and has a lot of really nice SFH neighborhoods within a short walk of the business areas and hotels.

Staying in Downtown is okay, but staying in Midtown is better imo.
Okay okay.Sorry.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,622 times
Background: raised in Seattle - moved to Atlanta for school and currently live/work in buckhead

The cities are pretty similar in what either can offer in terms of employment, food, nightlife, etc. I've debated moving back to Seattle for quite some time now, with he main driver being lifestyle (I am an avid outdoors person - ski/snowboard, hiking etc). Atlanta doesn't have the outdoor opportunities that seattle can provide.

With that said, the reason I am still in Atlanta is due to living costs -downtown Seattle housing prices are noticeably higher than buckhead prices - and buckhead is one of expensive parts of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City