Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 03:39 PM

49 posts, read 74,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NationalistFighter View Post
lol, and here is some packed shows in Atlanta.

Also, not just one genre, so I am not sure what you were trying to prove.
I could post the video from Obama's inauguration and Jon Stewart's rally and that'll shut everyone up lol.

There aren't a lot of rock concerts in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 04:01 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I actually have a lot of "knowledge of the actual culture in DC" and I am particularly fond of Go-Go.

50 Go-Go bands do not play in the region every night. This is definitely overstating how large the Go-Go scene is here. You'd be lucky to find 3 bands playing on any given night. And no, high school Go-Gos do not count. Any time Woodrow Wilson HS has a school dance, of course they're going to hire a band, and it's going to be a Go-Go band 10 out of 10 times. If HS Go-Gos count, then school dances in every city where a band performs should count too.

The City Paper lists all of the live performances in the city. There are only three bands performing tonight: Lissen, Familar Faces, and R.E. And tonight's a Friday, so you know the other days of the week are a wash. You also failed to mention that most of these bands only stay together for a year or so and then disappear, never to be heard from again. Even my uncle claims he had one of the "most cranking" bands in the area back in the 70s. The only remotely successful bands in DC, and this pretty much constitutes the entire universe of successful bands, have been: Chuck Brown and the Soul Searchers, E.U., Trouble Funk, Myiesha and the Hip Huggers, the N.E. Groovers, Suttle Thoughts, Rare Essence, 9-1-1 Band, Backyard Band, Lissen, TCB, UCB, and Vybe. And by "successful," I mean that people actually PAY to go see them at some venue other than a high school gymnasium.

LOL....I'm sorry but you don't seem to know much about GoGo. I'll update your city paper for you...lol

Each and every Friday shows:

LePearla: ABM Band UEB Band
MaryGolds: Lissen Band EU Band Obsession Band
Hanger Club: Timeless Vision Band
Takoma Station: Suttle Thoughts Band
Plaza23: TCB Band
TradeWinds: Rare Essence Band
Legend: Backyard Band
HayDees: W.H.A.T. Band
Icon: Vybe Band CrossOver Band
MJ's: DaMixx
SweizyLand: ReneGade Band AllStars Band RMB Reflections Band
CFE: Reaction Band

GoGo is mainly underground so the paper won't have a clue.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I expected to get nothing out of this thread, but it turns out I was wrong and there was something to be learned from it after all; namely that go-go fans rank right up there with mall cops, tax collectors and the French as the most irritating people on Earth.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soki longstroki View Post
There aren't a lot of rock concerts in DC.
By what standards? Next to Go-Go, punk is probably DC's most well-known musical export. Quite a few rock and punk clubs throughout the city, actually.

DC is also a particularly good city to catch live jazz. We have some phenomenal talent here.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:45 PM

172 posts, read 485,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The D.C. area is the only city in the U.S. that has it's own music form called "GoGo". Some shows are all ages welcome. Other shows are 18 and up. And some shows are 21 and over. Gogo bands range in style. The diversity ranges from "Traditional GoGo" to "Gospel GoGo" and the new movement of "Bounce Beat GoGo".

There are about 400 GoGo bands in the D.C. area that play at over 150 clubs/venues. It doesn't get any bigger than GoGo when it comes to live music.

Some GoGo shows have had over 10,000 people attend.

Prices to attend a show range anywhere from $5-$50 depending on the band and how many bands are playing. The average price is $20-$30 dollars for men and $5-$15 for women.
Ya, here is my list of cities that equal or even best DC:
1. New York
2. LA
3. Austin (south-by-southwest, austin city limits, etc.)
4. Atlanta (Big hop-hop presence here)
5. Seattle (Grunge. Nirvana came from here)
6. Chicago (Blues, and House, both of which are more popular genres than gogo. Also many, many FREE summer music festivals are held here. Its really a great town to live in if you like live music)
7. Detroit (Motown. Also a number of more modern bands came from here. Many of the bars out there pretty good live music; not as polished of a scene as DC but the genres is well balanced between r&b, hip-hop, and rock/punk)
8. New Orleans (Jazz)
9. Memphis (Shares title with Chicago as blues capitol)
10. San Francisco (psychedelia music started here)

With that said, one of my favorite groups, Thievery Corporation, is from DC; they put on a hell of a show!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:55 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesDrifter View Post
With that said, one of my favorite groups, Thievery Corporation, is from DC; they put on a hell of a show!
Just saw them play with Massive Attack. It was an amazing show all around.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I felt stupid for not knowing what the heck Go Go Music was so I went to the most trustworthy cite on the internet. Wikipedia.

It said this:

hmmm, I don't feel bad anymore
I wanted to say the same thing. Never heard of it before this thread.

Everyone knows what a Go-Go dancer is though.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:06 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,943,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I wanted to say the same thing. Never heard of it before this thread.

Everyone knows what a Go-Go dancer is though.
Ha ha, I thought it was music that Go-Go dancers danced to

ha ha City Data people are crazy

Old 12-11-2010, 09:33 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
Every time I see the title of this thread I have to laugh..... which is kind of nice. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:09 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
^^^I completely agree man! lmao at this whole thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
By what standards? Next to Go-Go, punk is probably DC's most well-known musical export. Quite a few rock and punk clubs throughout the city, actually.

DC is also a particularly good city to catch live jazz. We have some phenomenal talent here.
Although the go-go boosting on this thread didn't help at all, I've always felt that DC probably had a better and more diverse music scene than it's been given credit for on a national level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City