Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 PM

633 posts, read 1,441,901 times

Advertisements

I saw this on here somewhere once before, but now I can't find it. It's a topic that fascinates me. Isn't it interesting how similar trends develop as history repeats itself, and new cities take on the role of old cities? Anyway, enough jibba jabba. For purposes of this thread, I am including Pittsburgh in the East Coast. Let's get this thing started:

Chicago............NYC (urban heart of the region)

St. Louis...........Washington (southern bookend, southern flavor, historical city, on a River, grand monuments)

Milwaukee..........Pittsburgh (as much as I want to say Milwaukee is like Boston, it has so much in common with Pittsburgh it's ridiculous)

Minneapolis........Philly (it's around, but kinda gets overlooked. Each of these is a hidden gem in the region)

Detroit..............Baltimore (decaying urbanization, rough and rampant crime)

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:44 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Any bets on how long before dementor/eurous1/advocatusdiavoli/northEnd/WhateverScreenNameHe'sUsingToday wanders in here and turns the thread into a trollfest?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:51 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
This thread will not be in the Chicago Forum long enough for that to happen.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
That'll make it even worse. He does most of his damage in the General U.S. forum. He only makes special visits to the Chicago forum when he's feeling especially insecure about NYC and has to pile on Chicago for a while to make himself feel better.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:58 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
That'll make it even worse. He does most of his damage in the General U.S. forum...
How is this guy still getting into the forums? They have a record of IP addresses.

Is his life so worthless that he has logged on with 6 different computers?

Old 04-14-2009, 07:06 AM

3,645 posts, read 8,307,616 times
hay have you guys noticed that he has like 20 something posts on the chicago forum and 1 for the suburbs and only 2 for Nyc. Something aint right.
oh and this might be going on the city vs. city forum...unfortunately

Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 AM

414 posts, read 884,225 times
Quote:
Any bets on how long before dementor/eurous1/advocatusdiavoli/northEnd/WhateverScreenNameHe'sUsingToday wanders in here and turns the thread into a trollfest?
Quote:
Quote:
That'll make it even worse. He does most of his damage in the General U.S. forum. He only makes special visits to the Chicago forum when he's feeling especially insecure about NYC and has to pile on Chicago for a while to make himself feel better.
Quote:
How is this guy still getting into the forums? They have a record of IP addresses.

Is his life so worthless that he has logged on with 6 different computers?
Really? I mean really people? We have so many trolls now that when one doesn't jump on something tasty you guys have to throw some bones outside the cave? Enjoy their short absence by discussing the topic.

On topic, I never really looked at the East coast like that. IMO, there are so many cities to choose from on the East coast that it makes finding matches to Midwestern cities, perhaps, a bit easy. I would like to focus on the things each of the 'similar' cities has uniquely from the the wonderful Midwestern cities we are accustomed to.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:36 AM

306 posts, read 475,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
I saw this on here somewhere once before, but now I can't find it. It's a topic that fascinates me. Isn't it interesting how similar trends develop as history repeats itself, and new cities take on the role of old cities? Anyway, enough jibba jabba. For purposes of this thread, I am including Pittsburgh in the East Coast. Let's get this thing started:

Chicago............NYC (urban heart of the region)

St. Louis...........Washington (southern bookend, southern flavor, historical city, on a River, grand monuments)

Milwaukee..........Pittsburgh (as much as I want to say Milwaukee is like Boston, it has so much in common with Pittsburgh it's ridiculous)

Minneapolis........Philly (it's around, but kinda gets overlooked. Each of these is a hidden gem in the region)

Detroit..............Baltimore (decaying urbanization, rough and rampant crime)

What are your thoughts?
Interesting. I would definitely agree with these. Although what exactly are the things Milwaukee shares with Boston?

Old 04-14-2009, 10:34 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
The list is bogus!

St. Louis and Milwaukee and nothing like DC & Boston on any levels. Other than Chicago, no midwest city even comes close to the prominence and influence of east coast cities. Get serious. Put this in the us forum so we can all get a chuckle.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:39 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,924,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
The list is bogus!

St. Louis and Milwaukee and nothing like DC & Boston on any levels. Get serious.
Dude, these comparisons arent meant to be exact. Dont take it seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City