Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 02:26 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
I think people like trees and lakes -- hence why they vacation in the country.
Yep. Milwaukee has a big pile of tires on the lake, but somehow that's less popular with tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:29 PM

156 posts, read 330,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post

Is his life so worthless that he has logged on with 6 different computers?
Yes, I think it is.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:08 PM

172 posts, read 485,739 times
Minneapolis >> Boston (Both places are known for having an educated populace)
Chicago >> NYC (financial capitols)
Cleveland >> Baltimore (both midsized, industrial towns that are a bit rough around the edges)
Detroit >> Philadelphia (both are the second largest cities in their respective regions and both have a tough attitude to them)
St. Louis >? Philadelphia (Large city on one side of the river with smaller, much rougher town on the other side, other than that, I dont see the comparison)

East St. Louis, IL >? Camden, NJ (See above)
Gary, IN >> Newark, NJ (Both are the industrial crimezone of larger nearby megacity)

Can't think of anything in the midwest that fulfills the same role as DC!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:18 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Default I' d go along with..

...NYC and Chicago (preeminant cities of their regions), Pittsburgh and Milwaukee (both have industrial histories, Duquesne vs. Marquette, etc), maybe Baltimore and St.Louis ( border cities, both very hot/humid in summer, both have more than a little urban blight, etc), but then it gets tough.

Philadelphia and Minneapolis-St. Paul are COMPLETELY different places, but Boston and Minneapolis have a few things in common (both are possibly the most liveable in their regions). If you want to argue that Philly and Minn-St. Paul are similar in that they are "overshadowed" by the giants, you could make that point, but otherwise, at least in appearance, they are nothing alike.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:29 PM

633 posts, read 1,441,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakesDrifter View Post
Minneapolis >> Boston (Both places are known for having an educated populace)
Chicago >> NYC (financial capitols)
Cleveland >> Baltimore (both midsized, industrial towns that are a bit rough around the edges)
Detroit >> Philadelphia (both are the second largest cities in their respective regions and both have a tough attitude to them)
St. Louis >? Philadelphia (Large city on one side of the river with smaller, much rougher town on the other side, other than that, I dont see the comparison)

East St. Louis, IL >? Camden, NJ (See above)
Gary, IN >> Newark, NJ (Both are the industrial crimezone of larger nearby megacity)

Can't think of anything in the midwest that fulfills the same role as DC!
I never thought about Cleveland and Baltimore. That's interesting. Baltimore is an amazing city with a gorgeous bay (harbor?)... yet I always got the impression that the city's tourism department (or whoever came up with the America's Greatest City slogan) was trying just a bit too hard. I never sensed that from Cleveland, when I lived out that way. Cleveland seemed a little more self-assured. Then again, it's probably stupid to ascribe feelings to a city, isn't it?

Gary and Newark, totally! Minneapolis and Boston, definitely! You know what is funny, though? When you Google "The Boston of the Midwest" St. Louis comes up!

Old 04-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
...NYC and Chicago (preeminant cities of their regions), Pittsburgh and Milwaukee (both have industrial histories, Duquesne vs. Marquette, etc), maybe Baltimore and St.Louis ( border cities, both very hot/humid in summer, both have more than a little urban blight, etc), but then it gets tough.

Philadelphia and Minneapolis-St. Paul are COMPLETELY different places, but Boston and Minneapolis have a few things in common (both are possibly the most liveable in their regions). If you want to argue that Philly and Minn-St. Paul are similar in that they are "overshadowed" by the giants, you could make that point, but otherwise, at least in appearance, they are nothing alike.
As far as skylines, Baltimore and Milwaukee could be twins. I don't know... I think Minneapolis and Philly look similar. I'll see if I can get some pictures.

Now, here is a match: Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. They look REALLY similar. I'll get some pics of those too.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:43 PM

How do I post pictures that are on Flickr?

Old 04-14-2009, 08:47 PM

463 posts, read 1,564,621 times
Springfield, Massachusetts to Springfield, Illinois ????

Old 04-14-2009, 08:50 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post

Detroit..............Baltimore (decaying urbanization, rough and rampant crime)
Maybe, but i think there are much better matches for Baltimore and Detroit.

Baltimore is much more like Cincinnati and St Louis.

Detroit is more Camden

Old 04-14-2009, 08:52 PM

Boston: Flickr Photo Download: Boston Skyline @ 4:45am (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tracylee/84450706/sizes/l/ - broken link)
Flickr Photo Download: Boston Skyline @ 4:45am (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tracylee/84450706/sizes/l/ - broken link)

Milwaukee: Milwaukee Skyline with Moon - 7623fx on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tecant/1795558317/ - broken link)
Calatrava and Milwaukee skyline at night on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/nate0402/1927715369/ - broken link)

Baltimore
Flickr Photo Download: Baltimore (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ashkanam/83496751/sizes/l/ - broken link)
Flickr Photo Download: baltimore night (http://www.flickr.com/photos/idletype/417024576/sizes/l/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City