Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 12:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times

Advertisements

Austin is THE "Live Music Capital".

New Orleans would be a very close second.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-08-2010 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 01:01 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Have you considered most people here don't care about GoGo either?

You came on here asking if any city can match DC for live music...but then your only reason is because you keep saying THE GOGO SCENE IS FAHKIN HUUUUUGE ... as if that somehow disqualifies all others.

This is about numbers. We can't argue who has better live music because that is an opinion. If you want to discuss whether country is better than jazz or whether heavy metal is better than blues or whatever then you can start a different thread about it. Every city has it's own music scene and GoGo is D.C.'s. Country is Nashville's. Blues is Memphis. See where I'm going with this. My question was who has the bigger music scene. Most people attending nightly shows, most venues in the area, most bands etc.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:07 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Here are all the clubs/venues in and around D.C. that host bands on any given night 7 days a week for every age group. Some shows are even all ages welcome and others are 21 and over. Many GoGo bands perform at pools a few times during the summer. If a city can match this, I would like to see the facts:
Perhaps you have never step foot outside DC. I can only speak for New York here, but I'll tell you Brooklyn alone has more clubs than your list. Brooklyn has over 400 clubs/venues, and I am not even talking about Manhattan here.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well I'm certainly not going to go through your entire list to contest what you posted...but a few things that caught my eye are:

The Bethesda Comedy Club...which appears to be a comedy club in Bethesda, Maryland. Not a club in Washington DC.

Above that is a Best Western in Lanham, Maryland. Doesn't exactly sound like a spot for live music or a "hot spot"...it's also not in Washington DC.

Wow Wingery is a chicken wing place in Foggy Bottom.

Tom's Kitchen appears to be a buffet restaurant in Clinton, MD.

Lincoln Park Community Center is...um...a community center in Rockville, MD.

I think you should re-check your list, because right now it seems to be a pretty bad fail.

Also, take into account that I'm not insulting Washington DC by saying it doesn't offer as much live music as New York City...it's NEW YORK CITY. The only forumers that seem to be more uptight than the New Yorkers (at least when they're compared to London) are the DC ones.

I know you don't know anything about the DMV which is understandable so I'm going to just go through a few things.

1. Maryland, D.C., Northern V.A. is all the same thing in this region. This is because D.C. is a district and not a city and is connected to the surrounding area more than any other city because of this.

2. GoGo music is played anywhere someone will rent out the space. When I was in High School, I went to see Uncalled for Band (UCB) at the Hot Shop which was a restaurant during the day every saturday and sometimes during the week. It was all ages welcome and the place would average 1,000+. I used to go to Brandywine Fire Station to see bands too which shows you how diverse the venues are. The lines would be wrapped around the building. One of the video's I posted on the first page was in Rockville Sportsplex which is a combination of GYM's. GoGo is played every where from upscale clubs with bars to outdoor pools. From restaurants to boys and girls clubs.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Perhaps you have never step foot outside DC. I can only speak for New York here, but I'll tell you Brooklyn alone has more clubs than your list. Brooklyn has over 400 clubs/venues, and I am not even talking about Manhattan here.

Are they live music clubs? A band playing? You might want to check that? We are not talking about a D.J. playing a collection of CD's I have in my car.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:13 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
I hate getting into these types of debates because most people have little knowledge of the actual culture in DC, so it's like talking to a parked car in a sense.

DC's Go-Go culture is so significantly intertwined in the city that outside hip hop and R&B artists have to pay homage when they come here. Everyone from Jay-Z to Nelly to Jill Scott has used a Go-Go beat or song in their music. I have traveled to a lot of cities and I can honestly say they do not party like DC from a live music standpoint. If so, please show me some proof. I can post You Tube shows from over 50 bands that play every night.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:14 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
There are more GoGo bands in D.C. than actual performing bands in every city really!
uhhh...seriously? I wouldn't be so sure about that... There are music venues every single night in Chicago of multiple styles, same was the case in the Bay Area... They both have local scenes too... I am sure NYC/LA are the same...I can see live blues in Chicago 365 days a year for instance...I could catch punk/rock/jazz also for instance every single night. I know in even smaller New Orleans you can catch blues, every single night. In Austin there are dozens of indie bands playing every single night.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Are they live music clubs? A band playing? You might want to check that? We are not talking about a D.J. playing a collection of CD's I have in my car.
Over 100 with live music, not DJs. Not including the rest of the city here.

Just to give you a perspective, there are 53 live music venues in Tribeca neighborhood alone.

Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
This is about numbers. We can't argue who has better live music because that is an opinion. If you want to discuss whether country is better than jazz or whether heavy metal is better than blues or whatever then you can start a different thread about it. Every city has it's own music scene and GoGo is D.C.'s. Country is Nashville's. Blues is Memphis. See where I'm going with this. My question was who has the bigger music scene. Most people attending nightly shows, most venues in the area, most bands etc.
So basically you are saying either a) GoGo is D.C.'s only music scene, so other cities aren't allowed to have multiple scene.

or b) Which city has the better GoGo scene...

BTW DC has/had other music scenes thankfully.

so maybe you should reframe your question...

"Does any other city have a single genre live music scene, as big as D.C.'s GoGo scene"

Old 12-08-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I hate getting into these types of debates because most people have little knowledge of the actual culture in DC, so it's like talking to a parked car in a sense.

DC's Go-Go culture is so significantly intertwined in the city that outside hip hop and R&B artists have to pay homage when they come here. Everyone from Jay-Z to Nelly to Jill Scott has used a Go-Go beat or song in their music. I have traveled to a lot of cities and I can honestly say they do not party like DC from a live music standpoint. If so, please show me some proof. I can post You Tube shows from over 50 bands that play every night.

They really don't have a clue. I will never forget when Method Man the rapper came on the radio in D.C. and said "Everyone knows about D.C., if it's not GoGo it's got to go!" But artists have learned that the best way to gain popularity in D.C. is to play live shows with the bands. The list of rappers that do live shows with GoGo bands in D.C. is a long one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City