Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which did you like more?
Washington DC 215 40.87%
Los Angeles 248 47.15%
Neither 30 5.70%
Too close to call 30 5.70%
Other 3 0.57%
Voters: 526. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:40 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, you're one person who has an obvious interest in putting Los Angeles in the best light possible. I'm going to have to take the opinions of Shoup, Eidlin, and multiple posters in the L.A. forum.
Not true... there are plenty of examples of me being critical of LA (I'm not a native either).

For instance, I do think DC is more walkable and has better PT than LA.

Edit: I also don't disagree that the city puts too much emphasis on parking (though now at least it is always underground parking), and certainly did in the past with the surface lots. Luckily surprisingly brisk infill has and is cutting way down on those surface lots.

Last edited by munchitup; 02-26-2012 at 02:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 PM

139 posts, read 207,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'm curious why you favor Santa Monica over the rest of LA? I find it, I dunno, too sterile.
I do love a sea breeze! And I can see the mountains from the pier.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I don't think a "mindset" really has much to do with it. I still own a car and enjoy driving very much. But driving is simply too impractical for most daily excursions. There's nowhere to put your car. People generally give up their cars because they have to, not because they want to.
As do I in Rittenhouse but would never dream of using it to go out in the city. I use it for work or to venture out of the city.

I didnt mean to own or not, just how the use is for function.

I would never drive from Rittenhouse to No Libs whereas many in LA will drive from Hollywood to bars just off sunset strip (is it wilshire?) And the amount of valet there when driving down is apparent. Again I not bashing LA at all but this is the mindset thing. Cars are also more status in LA than many other urban areas. While stereotypical there is something to it...

Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 PM

41 posts, read 45,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPhillyNYCBoston View Post
LA doesn't even have a football team

Besides the rest of your hilarious post, you call the Redskins a football team? Bwhahahahaha. The Pete Carrol USC teams would trample them.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Not true... there are plenty of examples of me being critical of LA (I'm not a native either).

For instance, I do think DC is more walkable and has better PT than LA.

Edit: I also don't disagree that the city puts too much emphasis on parking (though now at least it is always underground parking), and certainly did in the past with the surface lots. Luckily surprisingly brisk infill has and is cutting way down on those surface lots.
My take on some what he wrote was both in function and form; so underground is a positve yet the impact of the driving is still in existence thus diminishing the functional form that may have been improved in the frst place.

Theatre lets out people take elevator to their car instead of exiting and filling the street and establishments if that makes sense. Obviously these all assume absolutes which dont exist

Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Fair enough. I think this discussion has more to do with how much damage control you think the government should have done or can do for their screw up with Slavery/Jim Crow/Segregation etc. etc. which has shaped the problems in the African American population in this country to date in cities and states all over the nation.

There is a mile long cause and effect model we could draw that starts way back in the 1600's leading up to today for this topic. Failure after failure after failure which was all just a band-aid on a gunshot wound to begin with which I'm sure you will agree with. The real question is, now that the 300-400 years of damage is done, how do we fix the remnants of generational poverty stricken residents?

Welfare is the absolutely most retarded policy known to man. Programs like that are the reason many poor uneducated black people have been enabled to be unemployed for so long etc. etc. Funny things, the governments response to fix their failed policy is stopping welfare all the while not coming up with a real plan on combating the problem and the real reason people are on welfare to being with.

I guess that's why they call it an epidemic. It will probably take 600 years to undo 300 years of damage from Slavery/Jim Crow/and segregation. Anyway, they can't fix it and neither can we overnight, but its nice see black people in D.C. benefiting from something finally.

Again my points on the DC economy and size of govt have nothing to do with race...

Old 02-26-2012, 03:01 PM

7 posts, read 7,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2LAFTW View Post
Besides the rest of your hilarious post, you call the Redskins a football team? Bwhahahahaha. The Pete Carrol USC teams would trample them.
Redskins have won 3 superbowls...LA teams, only 1.

PLus LA fans are fairweather to an extent that wouldn't be allowed on the East Coast

Old 02-26-2012, 03:08 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,847,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
My take on some what he wrote was both in function and form; so underground is a positve yet the impact of the driving is still in existence thus diminishing the functional form that may have been improved in the frst place.

Theatre lets out people take elevator to their car instead of exiting and filling the street and establishments if that makes sense. Obviously these all assume absolutes which dont exist
I agree that even underground parking hurts street vibrancy, and why LA needs to mix parking minimums. Yet LA still has vibrant streets... It can and will get better thru streetdiets, increased mix use TOD, increased transit and parking maximums. LA is hardly alone in this across the US, but is a leader.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 PM

41 posts, read 45,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCPhillyNYCBoston View Post
Redskins have won 3 superbowls...LA teams, only 1.

PLus LA fans are fairweather to an extent that wouldn't be allowed on the East Coast
3 superbowls, the most recent of which was 21 years ago, while L.A. hasn't even had an NFL team in almost the same amount of time. The Redskins have only had like 2-3 winning seasons over the last 20 years, which is pathetic.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:13 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,975,356 times
Regarding LA being walkable and Donald Shoup, et al, I think that a big part of the difference is that LA doesn't have a significant rapid transit system. Shoup says that LA can't support one, but I'm not not sure how he reaches that conclusion. What we do have is supported pretty well despite it being very limited and not going nearly as many places as DC's system. LA's red/purple lines despite being only 17 miles in length have a slightly higher ridership per mile than DC's Metro. In December DC averaged 675k per day (6,350/mile) and in January LA averaged about 145k per day(8,300/mile). If the federal government had decided to build a system for LA instead of DC, things might be very different today.

As it is a large part of LA is much more dense than anything in DC and our trains are generally more crowded. And many people do walk and many live car-free. There are probably just as many car-free here by choice as there are poor that can't afford a car. And people do walk here, but they are discounted because they are minority. I don't even want to get started on that..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City