Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 AM

256 posts, read 452,390 times

Advertisements

NJ is the worst by far
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 09:01 PM

211 posts, read 370,090 times
oklahoma is so bad that people camp out like i said its only one in the city. if u have to take a driving test forget about it they only take 5 a day. some people in other states say they wait for 2 or 3 hours oklahoma city its literally a all day event up to 6 hour wait then just to go to a tag agency to get your plates and id's terrible.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:05 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
I think all DMV employees are very rude across the country. They have this prison corrections officer mentality.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:48 PM

12 posts, read 42,338 times
i dont even waste my time going to the dmv i try to do everything online

Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,789 times
Default DMV Satisfaction Survey – The Best and Worst DMVs in America

According to this study, Oregon is worst, and Ohio the best. 8 criteria are considered.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,650 times
yes i agree with the dmv in Oregon. recently i had a friend buy a car from a car assignment lot where the guy was dumb enough to sale a car for someone who had no title so here we go on a spiral down. my friend takes the paperwork to the Oregon dmv oh yeah he is a disabled vet i might add and was trying also to get his disabled license plates switched over to the vehicle he bought when all was said and done the state, took like four months to get him lost title for the bought vehicle back and it did not have the lien holders name it was in his name the lien holder was a credit union ok now another one of like 6 trips to the dmv also an eon to get the lost tile on his old vehicle which he couldn't even switch license plates til he could prove he owned the older car even though he had been paying registration on his car for enons that was not enough .

. ok this gets better

i recently refinance my vehicle through the same credit union which i so love. after all was said and done i get this mail from the Oregon dmv giving me a sticker for my drivers license with the address to the last place i lived. its like where did this come from where did they get their information. i had two years ago moved to where i am now and put in for a address change to my present address then and do have that sticker on my license. its like where did the dmv get this info that i lived in my previous place which i can properly call night mare on elm street...lol that is the last place i wanted to be reminded of. so now back to the Oregon dmv to try to convince them i do not live there anymore. its going to be one nightmare being as i do not get mail at my location address here so have nothing to show i even live here. they do have my mailing address right though if that is any conselation which btw is in a different town at a post office.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:03 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times
I got a reckless endangerment misdemeanor in Nevada with an Arizona license (give me a break, I was dumb and in high school). Ten years later I was trading in my Minnesota license for an Illinois license, but Illinois wouldn't issue me a license until it got clearance from Arizona, and Arizona wouldn't do anything until it got clearance from Nevada. Dealing with the DMVs in Illinois and Nevada was not a problem. They worked on my issue very efficient. Arizona was a different story all together. You literally couldn't talk to anyone without being on hold for forty-five minutes, and once you did get a person on the phone, they always had a bad attitude and had no idea what they were doing.

Besides the four states listed above, I've also dealt the the DMV in New York (I still have a NY I.D. and I don't have a car at the moment, so I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Maryland), and I'd still say that crown for the worst still goes to Arizona.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:43 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
I have lived in 7 states and I nominate nominate PA. Three plus years ago my husband and I moved here from Texas. Armed with a SS card, my passport and two items that prove I live in PA (I took mortgage papers and tax roll registration), I took my satchel and headed to the DMV. 90 minutes later, I reach the counter, where I learned someone with a similar name and birthdate has an outstanding traffic issue in Illinois. I emphasize similar, because his first name is actually my middle name and his birthdate is five days after mine. The official told me it was similar enough however, that I needed a letter from IL (mind you, a state I've never lived in) verifying I was not that person. Perhaps tellingly, when I called IL to ask what was needed, the official interrupted me and asked "Are you calling from Pennsylvania?" Replying affirmatively, she told me to fax copies of my passport, SS card and TX license to Illinois and they would generate a letter verifying I am not that person. Happens all the time for new PA residents, apparently.

Two weeks later, re-armed with all the original documents plus my letter efficiently issued by IL, I returned to the DMV. I went early and spent only 45 minutes this time before the process was completed. At this point, I now have my driver's license.

Next stop - plates. These are not handled by the DMV office, but at a state-authorized agency such as AAA. Try to find that on the official state website, however. At AAA, I was able to sign all the paperwork to receive my tags and transfer my title in a mere 30 minutes or so. Now I have my plate and the registration sticker that goes on the plate, but wait - I can't put the plate on the car! I must take it to an inspection facility. After another fleeting 70 minutes, they put my plate on and affixed two stickers in the window - one indicating I passed the state inspection and the other for . . .? I still don't know what this second one is for. All I know is that I have to pay every year to have it replaced.

Oh, did I mention? At this point, I had spent just under $185.

Old 07-28-2014, 02:38 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,868 times
North Carolina is pretty crappy. You have to wait for your license, they make you take a test if you come from out of state. They have different officies for DL and car registration. If you do not do an instant title they say "15" days to send you the title took almost 3 months. They are always understaffed, the locations are mostly in the hood, and they just suck overall. They finally started taking debit/credit cards this year, and they finally started talking to the other divisions about inspection and taxes so now you can get it all done quicker, but they still suck!

Old 07-28-2014, 08:24 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,794 times
I've had good experiences with South Dakota (Pennington County). When I moved from Nebraska, I took in my required paperwork, gave them my Nebraska license and took an eye test, and walked out with my SD license in under 20 minutes. I recently got a new license with my married name, and had an easy experience. It is kind of a pain if you've gotten married and changed your name, but it's not terrible. I had all my paperwork and went at an off peak time. There was no line and as I was filling out the application, an employee came over and asked what I needed, and helped direct me to the right place, and was very friendly about it.

Car registrations and license plates have to be taken care of at the courthouse, and even though everyone in this town complains about it, it's actually not a terrible experience. The line can get long, but there's plenty of seating and most of the employees are pleasant enough. Registrations can be renewed online or at the DMV kiosks in the mall and other places. I had to go in person when I bought my car a couple years ago, to pay the taxes and get the plates. I was there on the last day and the line was really long, and I was by some people who were complaining that they raised the registration fees. I told them I was thrilled, because I was used to Nebraska taxes. When I told them how much South Dakota was saving me, they shut up. LOL

The biggest problem many people here seem to have with the courthouse is the need to empty all your pockets, and the fact that you can't take in your guns and knives. I don't think it's that big of a deal, and I've never had any problems with the security guards. I just try to be a decent person, and I usually get the same treatment in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City