Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 167 31.87%
LA 71 13.55%
DC 45 8.59%
Philly 165 31.49%
Boston 76 14.50%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 06:15 PM

531 posts, read 1,143,130 times

Advertisements

anyone who questions boston's urbanity what so ever clearly has never been there before. here's some aerial shots:

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/images/Assets/2.1_boston_01_469x313.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 12-30-2010 at 06:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 07:27 PM
DMV

559 posts, read 1,069,977 times
DC even has URBAN Cities with URBAN Culture right in its Suburbs (Maryland & NOVA)..

Maryland side of the DC Suburbs:

http://www.downtownbethesda.com/guide/_common/delux-750s.jpg (broken link)

http://www.downtownbethesda.com/imglibrary/20080602-170606-hyatt.jpg (broken link)

http://www.gazette.net/images/2009_0204/youths020409a_rgbb.jpg (broken link)

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/replicate/EXID32787/images/20100715213056ENPRNPRN13-DISCOVERY-CHOMPIE-1y-1279229456MR.jpg (broken link)

NOVA/Northern VA side of the DC Suburbs
:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/afp/was3596810.jpg (broken link)

These are some of DC suburbs that has Urban Flavor

Old 12-30-2010, 08:53 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Thanks I was skeptical of the MD Allstars claim that DC was 2x the size of Boston and Phillys downtown area wise. It appears my doubts were justified.

I get it. These threads are all about my boat is bigger than your boat. Thats not what I am trying to do here but Philadephias downtown reallys does spill over and encaptures University City.The only things seperates the 2 districts is the Schuylkill River which is about 50 feet wide.

You could easily make the argument that downtown Philly is 3.5 sq. mi. if you added University Citys 1.75 sq mi. not to mention 60,000 jobs,50,000 residents,and 40,000 college students.

This is from University City looking east toward Center City.
My mistake, its only double Boston's downtown now. It won't be double Phillies downtown until noma and SW are done. Then it will actually be approaching triple the size of these downtowns.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:11 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
i'd say SF by a small margin

LA is urban but not to the down and dirty degree of the other cities. it's a lot bigger and spread out

Old 12-31-2010, 12:32 AM

381 posts, read 861,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
I walk practically everyday from one side of Center City to another, albeit not quite end to end. It's only about half hour walk and if I wanted to run errands or go shopping, practically every daily necessity is on the way. I have also walked north to south, from say Old City to Italian Market and further south along Passyunk Ave, and that's also pretty easy to do and doesn't take very long. Philly's built downtown and nearby neighborhoods are probably more compact than SF's. I can't see myself walking from Goldengate Park to financial district in SF, for example not only because of the hills but also just the distance seems further... may be my mind is playing tricks, I don't know.
SFs downtown and inner neighborhoods (tenderloin, north beach, chinatown, polk street, mission, castro, fillmore, pacific heights, marina, SOMA, etc. etc.) are objectively more compact and denser than Phillys. The data in terms of population and structural density speak to that.

SF also has a more bustling, urban feel than Philly, imo.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:47 AM

617 posts, read 1,422,971 times
In all honesty some of those pics of DC suburbs were nice but did not have that old school grit and look to them, in fact some of those pics look similar to what you would find here in Dallas and even some parts of LA, but nice never the less. BTW I really liked that view of Charlestown you get when drive on the Tobin, I sometimes miss certain things of Boston like the clam chowder from Kelly's and the breakfasts from donut villa in Malden, but the winters is what made me leave.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:41 AM

457 posts, read 1,108,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtownboogie View Post
In all honesty some of those pics of DC suburbs were nice but did not have that old school grit and look to them, in fact some of those pics look similar to what you would find here in Dallas and even some parts of LA, but nice never the less. BTW I really liked that view of Charlestown you get when drive on the Tobin, I sometimes miss certain things of Boston like the clam chowder from Kelly's and the breakfasts from donut villa in Malden, but the winters is what made me leave.
Yeah, Arlington and Bethesda definitely don't have the old school urban grit you would find in an old city like B-more or NYC. They look a little like Kendell Square and some of what has gone up in South Boston Waterfront. Some of the stuff going up in Jersey is pretty similar.

I'm of mixed opinions on it. It's cookie cutter but its also the only real way to urbanize and grow in any meaningful way.

Last edited by Caymon83; 12-31-2010 at 02:57 AM..

Old 12-31-2010, 05:58 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV View Post
DC even has URBAN Cities with URBAN Culture right in its Suburbs (Maryland & NOVA)..

Maryland side of the DC Suburbs:

NOVA/Northern VA side of the DC Suburbs:

These are some of DC suburbs that has Urban Flavor
DMV - Some more great pics also to 585- Some more great pics of Boston

to DMV - you do have a few pics of some asian cities and there is one of Chicago out by O'hare, it actually includes the NCAA and AMA headquarters, know that place well...

Old 12-31-2010, 06:01 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldojernkins View Post
SFs downtown and inner neighborhoods (tenderloin, north beach, chinatown, polk street, mission, castro, fillmore, pacific heights, marina, SOMA, etc. etc.) are objectively more compact and denser than Phillys. The data in terms of population and structural density speak to that.

SF also has a more bustling, urban feel than Philly, imo.
I think SF and Philly are very close on this aspect, to me Philly is slightly more but they are very very close, to me just a slight notch above boston on this aspect which to me also offers a great vibrant urban feel as well, DC does a pretty good job too, there isnt all that much that seperates these four on this aspect

Old 12-31-2010, 02:45 PM

765 posts, read 1,859,934 times
I love how Washington DC has suburbs with their own downtowns. Silver Spring, Arlington and more...truly fascinating. Drive around DC's suburbs, you would be very surprised to find some skylines and hefty office centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City