Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: most urban?
SF 167 31.87%
LA 71 13.55%
DC 45 8.59%
Philly 165 31.49%
Boston 76 14.50%
Voters: 524. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:16 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I do disagree with that to some extent. For one thing I think they are just talking about the CBD. And of the cities on this poll, Los Angeles is probably the weakest CBD.
You should tell him then. He can be reached here.

Donald Shoup

Quote:
Donald Shoup has extensively studied parking as a key link between transportation and land use, with important consequences for cities, the economy, and the environment. His influential book, The High Cost of Free Parking, is leading a growing number of cities to charge fair market prices for curb parking, dedicate the resulting revenue to finance public services in the metered districts, and reduce or remove off-street parking requirements. His research on employer-paid parking led to passage of California’s parking cash-out law, and to changes in the Internal Revenue Code to encourage parking cash out. Professor Shoup is a Fellow of the American Institute of Certified Planners. He has been a visiting scholar at Cambridge University and the World Bank, and has served as Director of the Institute of Transportation Studies and Chair of the Department of Urban Planning at UCLA.
There's no reason to think that his logic would apply only to CBDs. If the CBD provides a bunch of parking, then the outer areas provide parking as well, right? His point was that parking drains cities like Los Angeles of much of their vitality.

Quote:
They said it doesn't have a dense core which was a head scratcher IMO. You can argue its not urban all you want but statistically, Los Angeles has one of the densest cores in the nation.
That's not what he said. He said that Los Angeles does not have "an extremely dense core." And by "extremely dense core," it's obvious that he's taking more than just sheer population density into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You should tell him then. He can be reached here.

Donald Shoup

There's no reason to think that his logic would apply only to CBDs. If the CBD provides a bunch of parking, then the outer areas provide parking as well, right? His point was that parking drains cities like Los Angeles of much of their vitality.

That's not what he said. He said that Los Angeles does not have "an extremely dense core." And by "extremely dense core," it's obvious that he's taking more than just sheer population density into account.
Interview with Donald Shoup: Los Angeles Making Strides with ExpressPark | Streetsblog Los Angeles

I am not calling his qualification into question. Geez.

That article is old, things change, especially in Los Angeles.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:29 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,298,616 times
Quote:
I think originally the city was designed to put people on the streets - walking / taking the streetcars.

Then in the 50s it was retooled to get people in their cars and off the street.

Since the mid 90s- early 00s, the city has been redirected back towards pedestrian scale development.

But I agree the foot traffic is still lower than the other cities in the poll, but not significantly far behind. Still towards the best in the nation (I don't see how someone who has only vacationed here you can really speak to the foot traffic on a daily basis)
Oh come on munchitup, does one really have to LIVE somewhere in order to be able to pass any judgement on it? We are not in the 19th century anymore. I have been to LA 3 times. Besides, I watch "Selling LA" religiously on HGTV These guys drive around town all day and I hardly ever see people on the streets. It is what it is! Or are you trying to dispute it?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Oh come on munchitup, does one really have to LIVE somewhere in order to be able to pass any judgement on it? We are not in the 19th century anymore. I have been to LA 3 times. Besides, I watch "Selling LA" religiously on HGTV These guys drive around town all day and I hardly ever see people on the streets. It is what it is! Or are you trying to dispute it?
Oh man I'm sorry, you watch Selling LA? I should have known better, you sound like such an authoritative figure about Los Angeles. If I had known you were watching Selling LA AND has been here three times I would have yielded to your better judgement.

I apologize 100 times over.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
That article is old, things change, especially in Los Angeles.
The city has not changed its whole entire infrastructure in the last eight years. I was there in 2009 and I found what he said in his article to be true.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Oh man I'm sorry, you watch Selling LA? I should have known better, you sound like such an authoritative figure about Los Angeles. If I had known you were watching Selling LA AND has been here three times I would have yielded to your better judgement.

I apologize 100 times over.
Oh man, you got me on that one. So, if I may ask, wtf is the point of any of these threads if someone can always waive the "you don't live here so you don't know jack" card? Most people only live in one place at a time. So maybe we should just do away with the City vs. City forum altogether?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Oh man, you got me on that one. So, if I may ask, wtf is the point of any of these threads if someone can always waive the "you don't live here so you don't know jack" card? Most people only live in one place at a time. So maybe we should just do away with the City vs. City forum altogether?
The question is actually: What's the point of these threads if someone can wave the "I didn't mean that contradictory statement I wrote that I thought nobody would ever find in a million years" card?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
The point is that people that know what they are talking about discuss and compare.

I could go on the New York related threads and tell them how everyone in Manhattan is rich kid yuppy living out their Sex in the City fantasy.

I just prefer to not make myself look like a fool by inserting my shortsighted and myopic views of cities I have spent relatively little time in.

By the way here are the episode recaps of Selling LA. Looks like 90 percent is in the Hollywood Hills. I will give you that there is little to no foot traffic there.

Selling Los Angeles : Curbed LA

Old 02-03-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
The point is that people that know what they are talking about discuss and compare.

I could go on the New York related threads and tell them how everyone in Manhattan is rich kid yuppy living out their Sex in the City fantasy.

I just prefer to not make myself look like a fool by inserting my shortsighted and myopic views of cities I have spent relatively little time in.

By the way here are the episode recaps of Selling LA. Looks like 90 percent is in the Hollywood Hills. I will give you that there is little to no foot traffic there.

Selling Los Angeles : Curbed LA

Well it sounds like you are saying that unless you live there you don't know what you're talking about. So what is the point of "discussing and comparing"?

And did you not get that my reference to "Selling LA" was sort of a joke? Was the smiley face not a dead giveaway? Anyway, you are wrong -- they do not just feature Hollywood Hills, they drive around pretty much everywhere (the affluent areas anyway). You are disputing the impressions and the image of LA that is etched in the mind of every person who has ever been there. Why do you think I have the impression that LA doesn't have a lot of foot traffic? I don't have the same impression of Boston or DC or Philly even though I have never lived in those places either. Do you think I have some kind of irrational bias against LA?

Old 02-03-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Well it sounds like you are saying that unless you live there you don't know what you're talking about. So what is the point of "discussing and comparing"?

And did you not get that my reference to "Selling LA" was sort of a joke? Was the smiley face not a dead giveaway? Anyway, you are wrong -- they do not just feature Hollywood Hills, they drive around pretty much everywhere (the affluent areas anyway). You are disputing the impressions and the image of LA that is etched in the mind of every person who has ever been there. Why do you think I have the impression that LA doesn't have a lot of foot traffic? I don't have the same impression of Boston or DC or Philly even though I have never lived in those places either. Do you think I have some kind of irrational bias against LA?
No not really, I just don't think you know what you are talking about.

It seems to me they stick mostly to the hills and Westside. Those places do mirror what your opinion of the entire city is. Leads me to believe you think the entire city looks like Westwood or Brentwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City