Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Amenities
Chicago 69 49.64%
DC Metro 70 50.36%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:52 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
As of 2008:
Cook County, IL: 5,294,664 People (1,635 Square Miles)
Washington DC Metropolitan Area (MSA): 5,358,130 People (5,564 Square Miles)
Difference: 63,466 People (3,929 Square Miles)

Chicago is more densely built than Washington DC. Cook County alone is just 64,000 short of having the same population as the Washington DC Metropolitan Area.

They are probably comparable sized when we look at the CSA level which is Washington DC-Baltimore. But Chicago by far and away has a much stronger core than Washington DC.

On amenities they truly are comparable in a draw. Throw in Los Angeles and its still a three way draw. Each of these cities offer something the other may have but to a smaller scale or something the other just doesn't have.

For example Los Angeles has a far better outdoor opportunity, Washington DC would be the next up follow, and Chicago last with little to no outdoor scenery besides Lake Michigan and some wooded areas.

But most people go after city life, which is where Chicago comes out on top in urban lifestyle and the style of life derived from that, Washington DC next, and Los Angeles last with much work needed for it.

The history sense goes to Washington DC, as well as monumental landmarks goes to Washington DC, then Chicago, and lastly Los Angeles. The food scene goes to Chicago first, then Los Angeles, and finally Washington DC. The sports scene goes to Chicago, then Washington DC, and finally Los Angeles which still doesn't have a NFL team. Weather goes to Los Angeles, then Washington DC & Chicago are tied with Chicago having a bit worse winter but much better summer.

These things here tend to alternate between our large cities. I find most comparisons on this site pointless. Lets get real we are comparing places with thousands and thousands of square mileage to each other and only taking such little criteria to compare them.

For anyone that has been to Chicago & Washington DC, (I am very familiar with both) they will know this is a draw, you can go back and forth all day about which one has more but truth is they are dynamically different and in a good way.

Chicago has better art galleries, Washington DC has better museums, Chicago has better theater scene, Washington DC has better monuments, Chicago has a better symphony & opera, Washington DC has better historic sites, Chicago has better urban parks, Washington DC has better natural parks.

You can honestly keep going at it all day long. Its a matter of preference and what combination of things you will end up liking the best to make one of the cities come out on top of the other.
Great summary. I agree for the most part. Chicago has better art galleries, huh? But isn't the National Gallery of Art in DC usually ranked #2 in the U.S.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 01:18 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Great summary. I agree for the most part. Chicago has better art galleries, huh? But isn't the National Gallery of Art in DC usually ranked #2 in the U.S.?
He's referring to non museum art galleries. National Gallery of Art would be similar to Art Institute, Museum of Contemporary Art or National Museum of Mexican Art in Chicago, etc. They are all effectively museums.

i.e. [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]just the River North area.[SIZE=3]
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
River North Area
Addington Gallery
Alan Koppel Gallery
Aldo Castillo Gallery
Andrew Bae Gallery
Ann Nathan Gallery
ArchiTech Gallery of Architectural Art
Belloc Lowndes Fine Art
Byron Roche Gallery
Carl Hammer Gallery
Catherine Edelman Gallery
David Leonardis Gallery
David Weinberg Gallery
Gallery KH
Gallery Stuart-Rodgers (http://www.srphoto.com/srgallery.htm - broken link)
Gruen Galleries
Habatat Galleries
Jack Gallery
Jean Albano Gallery
Josef Glimer Galleries
Judy A Saslow Gallery
Kass Meridian
Lydon Fine Art, Inc.
Marx-Saunders Gallery
Maya Polsky Gallery
Melanee Cooper Gallery
Mongerson Galleries
Nicole Gallery
Perimeter Gallery
Portals
Printworks Gallery
Richard Norton Galleries
Robert Henry Adams Fine Art
Roy Boyd Gallery
Russell Bowman Art Advisory
Schneider Gallery
Stephen Daiter Gallery
Vale Craft Gallery
Zg Gallery
Zolla / Lieberman Gallery
Zygman Voss Gallery
[/SIZE]

[/SIZE]

If you aren't an art enthusiast then it probably doesn't matter to you though. Chicago has a big art scene as well as several of the best art schools in the country @ SAIC and Columbia.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:23 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yeah National Gallery of Art is solely ahead of institutions like Chicago's Institute of Art, although both are roughly close. Both are great cities, actually scratch that, phenomenal cities for art, theater, symphonies, orchestras, museums, and parks in general. As a city, I do prefer Washington DC over Chicago (although both are among my favorite cities in the country), but for amenities they are roughly the same with different offerings for different things.

But I meant to say art galleries as in the privately owned ones, by local artists in the each of the respective cities. I know Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, & Washington DC have an abundance of them. Whenever I go to a city, I try to check out some of the private art showrooms from local artists, I have to hand it to the ones in Chicago, along with the setting (inside the loop), the views (the lake front and skyline), & their venues (most a very vast loft, trendy in design), their art work comes out nicely.

For example:
This is an example of a local artist in Chicago who paints and sells his own art but he's made a venue out of his loft where he's made much of it into an art showroom:

Here is the view from his art showroom window:

I like the collection of art he has especially given its his own work, along with the location and views from his place that gives more of a sense of "atmosphere" for the art itself.

I think of Washington DC the same way with museums also, it has a great blend of atmosphere, it gives off a historic vibe along with such monumental architecture and content within the museums itself that makes it even more astonishing. Comparatively to maybe a museum in Downtown Los Angeles, it just wouldn't sustain that same feel and vibe, and causes the experience in general to be a little bit more of on the "underwhelming" side.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:34 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
But I meant to say art galleries as in the privately owned ones, by local artists in the each of the respective cities. I know Chicago, New York, San Francisco, Boston, & Washington DC have an abundance of them. Whenever I go to a city, I try to check out some of the private art showrooms from local artists, I have to hand it to the ones in Chicago, along with the setting (inside the loop), the views (the lake front and skyline), & their venues (most a very vast loft, trendy in design), their art work comes out nicely.
I see what you're saying. There's actually quite a large number of private art galleries in DC and the list is constantly growing. I can never keep up with it:

Aaron Gallery
Ann Loeb Bronfman Gallery
Foundry Gallery
Gallery 10, Ltd.
Hillyer Art Space
Marsha Mateyka Gallery
Primimoda
Studio Gallery
Washington Printmakers Gallery
Adamson Gallery
Addison Ripley Fine Art
Alex Gallery
American Painting
Burton Marinkovich Fine Art
Carroll Square Gallery
Civilian Art Projects
Conner Contemporary Art
Cross MacKenzie Ceramic Arts
Curator's Office
District Fine Arts
Dissident Display Gallery
Foxhall Gallery
Gallery 555dc
Galerie Lareuse
Gallery plan b
Gary Edwards Gallery
Georgetown Frame Shoppe
G Fine Art
Govinda Gallery
Guarisco Gallery
Hamiltonian Gallery
Hemphill Fine Arts
International Visions
Irvine Contemporary Art
Jane Haslem Gallery
Long View Gallery
Marninart
Nevin Kelly Gallery
Newman Gallery
The Old Print Gallery
Parish Gallery
P & C Art
Project 4
The Ralls Collection, Inc.
Robert Brown Gallery
R Street Gallery
Spectrum Gallery
Warehouse
The Watergate Gallery
Adams Davidson Galleries
Antique Print Gallery
Burdick Gallery of Inuit Art
Conner Contemporary Art
de Andino Fine Arts
Kathleen Ewing
Susan Conway Gallery
Tartt
Touchstone Gallery
Ann Loeb Bronfman Gallery
Artomatic
Arts Club of Washington
Blank Space SE
District of Columbia Arts Center
Flashpoint
Hillyer Art Space
Honfleur Art Gallery
The Jerusalem Fund Gallery
Katzen Arts Center
MOCA DC
Transformer
Art Museum of The Americas
Corcoran Gallery of Art
Dumbarton Oaks Museum
Freer Gallery of Art Arthur M. Sackler Gallery
Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden
Kreeger Museum
National Building Museum
National Gallery of Art
National Museum of African Art
National Museum of the American Indian
National Museum of Women in the Arts
National Portrait Gallery
The Phillips Collection
Renwick Gallery - Smithsonian American Art Museum
The Textile Museum

Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 PM

686 posts, read 1,167,713 times
Density is not the be all end all. You can have really high density and it doesn't matter if you don't have the infrastructure and amenities to accommodate the populace. How does every debate devolves into density equals better and more urban. it doesn't

Old 01-02-2011, 02:15 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Density is not the be all end all. You can have really high density and it doesn't matter if you don't have the infrastructure and amenities to accommodate the populace. How does every debate devolves into density equals better and more urban. it doesn't
Then why would Houston build all its museums in a centralized area if it doesn't matter?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:38 AM

225 posts, read 755,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
Hasn't this one been done before?

I was totally off base on this one, because when I saw the title of the thread, I thought it was comparing the cities' public transport systems, LOL!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:45 AM

225 posts, read 755,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Theres nothing in Philly you can't find in Detroit, besides a cheese steak.
And there's nothing in Hong Kong that you can't find in Indianapolis, besides a good public transit system.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:42 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSuperfriend View Post
I like how an amenities debate has turned into a density one. You just can't get away from it on this site.
I simply responded to the claim that Baltimore is as built up as Chicago. It isn't and that's a fact.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:47 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
As of 2008:
Cook County, IL: 5,294,664 People (1,635 Square Miles)
Washington DC Metropolitan Area (MSA): 5,358,130 People (5,564 Square Miles)
Difference: 63,466 People (3,929 Square Miles)

Chicago is more densely built than Washington DC. Cook County alone is just 64,000 short of having the same population as the Washington DC Metropolitan Area.

They are probably comparable sized when we look at the CSA level which is Washington DC-Baltimore. But Chicago by far and away has a much stronger core than Washington DC.

On amenities they truly are comparable in a draw. Throw in Los Angeles and its still a three way draw. Each of these cities offer something the other may have but to a smaller scale or something the other just doesn't have.

For example Los Angeles has a far better outdoor opportunity, Washington DC would be the next up follow, and Chicago last with little to no outdoor scenery besides Lake Michigan and some wooded areas.

But most people go after city life, which is where Chicago comes out on top in urban lifestyle and the style of life derived from that, Washington DC next, and Los Angeles last with much work needed for it.

The history sense goes to Washington DC, as well as monumental landmarks goes to Washington DC, then Chicago, and lastly Los Angeles. The food scene goes to Chicago first, then Los Angeles, and finally Washington DC. The sports scene goes to Chicago, then Washington DC, and finally Los Angeles which still doesn't have a NFL team. Weather goes to Los Angeles, then Washington DC & Chicago are tied with Chicago having a bit worse winter but much better summer.

These things here tend to alternate between our large cities. I find most comparisons on this site pointless. Lets get real we are comparing places with thousands and thousands of square mileage to each other and only taking such little criteria to compare them.

For anyone that has been to Chicago & Washington DC, (I am very familiar with both) they will know this is a draw, you can go back and forth all day about which one has more but truth is they are dynamically different and in a good way.

Chicago has better art galleries, Washington DC has better museums, Chicago has better theater scene, Washington DC has better monuments, Chicago has a better symphony & opera, Washington DC has better historic sites, Chicago has better urban parks, Washington DC has better natural parks.

You can honestly keep going at it all day long. Its a matter of preference and what combination of things you will end up liking the best to make one of the cities come out on top of the other.

Good points but as another poster already pointed out, Cook county is only around 960 square miles or so. Anyway, Chicago's urbanized area is still more populated than DC-Baltimore's CSA and it's only 2200 square miles. You have to go a long way in DC to find 8 million people. It's not really comparable to Chicagoland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City