Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City has more amenities?
Houston 63 19.81%
Chicago 257 80.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 06:14 PM

86 posts, read 121,271 times

Advertisements

Lets see what you guys think. Apparently some people actually Houston stacks up against it in the Houston thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
I disagree with this. I've been to Chicago. I looove Chi-town. But Houston is right up there with it. It's just that Houston is more spread out. The only thing that Chicago has better is it's mass transit system. The only thing worse is it's too cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 06:18 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSuperfriend View Post
Lets see what you guys think. Apparently some people actually Houston stacks up against it in the Houston thread.
She has a point. I think when you reach the size and level of Houston. It will offer pretty much everything Chicago does on a smaller scale. Same with Atlanta.

I think the only thing Chicago will offer more of is a urban lifestyle.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:29 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,055,953 times
I live in them both and honestly I never notice much of a difference until it comes to driving. I personally love my car and that's something I don't have in Chicago. So I have to walk and use transit there, and quite frankly its a god damn nuisance for me.

Otherwise yes, big cities in general will get you whatever you want. But I will say this though, Houston does not have an answer to Downtown Chicago or the Loop in general. Other than urban lifestyle, it really makes no difference. Things which include the urban lifestyle like parks, and walkable areas, along with transit options, Houston just doesn't have an answer for that stuff. Houston has no urban parks for downtown that can match Grant Park or Mellenium Park. But only people who like that lifestyle care. Frankly I like Houston more than Chicago, and would pick it any day and everyday over the city I was born in and spend my summers in (Chicago).

I voted for Chicago though, because yes, Chicago does indeed have more variety of amenities than Houston. Houston is a big city, with big city amenities, but there are a few things Chicago has that Houston doesn't have the answer for yet. That's changing though.

Last edited by DANNYY; 12-26-2010 at 07:17 PM.. Reason: Tweak.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:29 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,524,349 times
I would have to disagree. It also has a lot to do with the *quality* of the amenities.

Shopping:
Houston has no replacement for Michigan Ave/Oak Street shopping.

Symphony:
Chicago is continously ranked the best in North America.

Ballet:
Joffrey Ballet is arguably the best in the United States, moving back and forth from NYC and Chicago but now permanently in Chicago.

Opera:
Lyric Opera is one of the top Opera Houses in the U.S.

Art?
School of the Art Institute is the #2 or #3 art school in the u.s. The Art Institute is only second or third to The MET in NYC in the U.S. Houston has nothing comparable to MCA either.

Theater:
Houston has a lot of venues, Chicago has a lot of major theater groups such as Goodman/Steppenwolf/New Colony

Comedy:
Is there anything like Second City or Improv scene in Houston?

Concerts:
Anything comparable to Nationally acclaimed Lollapalooza and Pitchfork Music Festival held in Houston?

Parks, is there anything comparable to Lincoln Park or Millenium Park in Houston?

Outdoor venues, is there anything comparable to Ravinia or Pritzker Pavilion?

Museums, nothing comparable or on the level of Field Museum or Museum of Science and Industry. Houston has a lot of Mexicans, as does Chicago (often not known) and Chicago is home to the National Mexican Museum of Art.

Architecture?
Just walking around and you have works of art surrounding you in Chicago, silly comparison with Houston.

Restaurants?
Chicago has the top rated restaurant in the United States (Alinea) and several others. Houston doesn't have a single restaurant ranked. SF, Chicago and NYC are the only cities with Michelin guides period.

Sports?
Chicago has multiple baseball teams, football, hockey, basketball. Houston doesn't have a hockey team.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
I live in them both and honestly I never notice much of a difference until it comes to driving. I personally love my car and that's something I don't have in Chicago. So I have to walk and use transit there, and quite frankly its a god damn nuisance for me.

Otherwise yes, big cities in general will get you whatever you want. But I will say this though, Houston does not have an answer to Downtown Chicago or the Loop in general. Other than urban lifestyle, it really makes no difference. Things which include the urban lifestyle like parks, and walkable areas, along with transit options, Houston just doesn't have an answer for that stuff. Houston has no urban parks for downtown that can match Grant Park or Mellenium Park. But only people who like that lifestyle care. Frankly I like Houston more than Chicago, and would pick it any day and everyday over the city I was born in and spend my summers in (Chicago).

I am curious though, do people enjoy making Houston threads because they love seeing it get bashed? Because I know for a damn fact there will be posts in here after mine from mindless drones doing what I just said will happen. Next time, make this thread about Chicago and your city, which is roughly on Dallas and Houston's playing field also when you need to ask questions like this. Bashing in a thread like this is inevitable, and that is 110% going to speak out.

I voted for Chicago though, because yes, Chicago does indeed have more variety of amenities than Houston. Houston is a big city, with big city amenities, but there are a few things Chicago has that Houston doesn't have the answer for yet. That's changing though.
Anyone who disagrees with that is obviously suffering from Htownlove Syndrome.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Anyone who disagrees with that is obviously suffering from Htownlove Syndrome.
It isn't a fair poll, Chicago has had 100s of years to develop its culture and was the 2nd biggest city in the U.S. for a century. Houston is just now getting off the track and almost doubled its economy in the last 20 years. While it might have better COL or QOL or more companies it is still lacking in the other things that come along with that after a long period of time. I think it is doing better than any other city in the south in those areas though.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:34 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,861,584 times
My vote goes to Chicago, but really there isn't a comparison. Of course Chicago has more. It would make more since to compare Chicago to say New York City and Los Angeles.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:40 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I would have to disagree. It also has a lot to do with the *quality* of the amenities.

Shopping:

Symphony:

Ballet:
Joffrey Ballet is arguably the best in the United States, moving back and forth from NYC and Chicago but now permanently in Chicago.

Opera:

Art?
School of the Art Institute is the #2 or #3 art school in the u.s. The Art Institute is only second or third to The MET in NYC in the U.S. Houston has nothing comparable to MCA either.

Theater:
Houston has a lot of venues, Chicago has a lot of major theater groups such as Goodman/Steppenwolf/New Colony

Comedy:

Concerts:
Anything comparable to Nationally acclaimed Lollapalooza and Pitchfork Music Festival held in Houston?

Parks, is there anything comparable to Lincoln Park or Millenium Park in Houston?

Museums, nothing comparable or on the level of Field Museum or Museum of Science and Industry. Houston has a lot of Mexicans, as does Chicago (often not known) and Chicago is home to the National Mexican Museum of Art.

Architecture?
Just walking around and you have works of art surrounding you in Chicago, silly comparison with Houston.

Restaurants?
Chicago has the top rated restaurant in the United States (Alinea) and several others. Houston doesn't have a single restaurant ranked. SF, Chicago and NYC are the only cities with Michelin guides period.

Sports?
Chicago has multiple baseball teams, football, hockey, basketball. Houston doesn't have a hockey team.
Chicago is great and Houston is a stink hole. I just summed up your entire post.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Chicago is great and Houston is a stink hole. I just summed up your entire post.
No reason to get bitter, I didn't make the topic. If you want to refute anything I stated please do.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post

Shopping:

Symphony:

Ballet:

Opera:

Art?

Theater:

Comedy:

Concerts:

Architecture?

Restaurants?

Sports?
You kind of just expanded on what I said. Houston does offer the majority of that except on a smaller scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City