Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 05:24 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Kids from Florida at my CT college said the same thing. They were behind.

Literally any data show NE metros are far far ahead. So this supported with facts as well as anecdotes. If we’re just gonna make this about cherry picking too southern schools-fine the beat private schools in the country are all in the northeast....
I stand by my original post. What you said was insulting, period. We can cherry pick all day, but it won't change this smug, superior attitude you're projecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2020, 05:29 AM

14,155 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Kids from Florida at my CT college said the same thing. They were behind.

Literally any data show NE metros are far far ahead. So this supported with facts as well as anecdotes. If we’re just gonna make this about cherry picking too southern schools-fine the beat private schools in the country are all in the northeast....
I assume you're talking K-12 here.

The thing that kinda struck me as I was perusing this revived thread is that several Southern states have outstanding public and private universities — Georgia, North Carolina, Texas and Virginia in particular.

North Carolina is home to Ivy-class Duke University and "public Ivy" University of North Carolina.

UVa is also a "public Ivy," and while the University of Texas isn't often included in that category, I do believe it's the best-endowed public university in the country. And it has that admissions policy (a George W. Bush legacy) where the top 10 percent of graduates of every Texas public high school are guaranteed admission.

Besides, Rice University, another Ivy-class institution, is in Houston. And while I'm in that neighborhood, I need to include Vanderbilt in Tennessee.

The state universities still draw the bulk of their students from within their states. That suggests to me that the states in question must have some very good public schools.

Old 06-05-2020, 06:06 AM

506 posts, read 476,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
And genetics plays a role too. High achieving parents produce high achieving kids.
That's called eugenics. Probably should reword that. I assume what you're trying to say is when parents play an active role, that helps the student's performance. That's ok. But to say that only smart people have smart babies is a very 1920s, backwards view of things.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:07 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

The thing that kinda struck me as I was perusing this revived thread is that several Southern states have outstanding public and private universities — Georgia, North Carolina, Texas and Virginia in particular.

North Carolina is home to Ivy-class Duke University and "public Ivy" University of North Carolina.

UVa is also a "public Ivy," and while the University of Texas isn't often included in that category, I do believe it's the best-endowed public university in the country. And it has that admissions policy (a George W. Bush legacy) where the top 10 percent of graduates of every Texas public high school are guaranteed admission.

Besides, Rice University, another Ivy-class institution, is in Houston. And while I'm in that neighborhood, I need to include Vanderbilt in Tennessee.

The state universities still draw the bulk of their students from within their states. That suggests to me that the states in question must have some very good public schools.
Yea k-12. The south has better public universities in my opinion. Too students in the south go there, they work hard not to in the Northeast. Our state schools are populated by lesser students. In general of course.

And im well aware there are some very good public schools in the south. But I’m not interested in cherry picking or trying to find all the loopholes.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 06-05-2020 at 07:18 AM..

Old 06-05-2020, 07:17 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I stand by my original post. What you said was insulting, period. We can cherry pick all day, but it won't change this smug, superior attitude you're projecting.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Southerners are sensitive. Why would I bother with the fake pleasantries. Obviously the k-12 schoolS in the NE are better. Why do you take that as an affront or personal? I wouldn’t take it personal if you said the COL was better and residential integration and business environment was better in the south. Because those things are true. Why are you even allowing yourself to get upset. Are you a K-13 teacher? I ceded you all have better public universities. Relax.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:39 AM

12,158 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
By no means is that offensive. At all. Its also no secret public K-12 is significantly better in MA/NY/NJ/CT/ then FL/AL/GA/SC/NC. Its not superior at all. If I went to HS in FL, wouldnt I stick up for FL? The south does great in a lot of things, but public K-12? Not really.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:44 AM

93,212 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:

Also, while I agree, many of those private and even state schools get quite a few people from the Northeast or were recent transplants from the Northeast(or Midwest). Private universities in the South like Tulane, Duke, Vanderbilt, Miami, etc. get quite a few Jewish students, with many coming from the Northeast.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:52 AM

26 posts, read 23,481 times
Quote:

Just so you know, Vanderbilt is in Nashville.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:00 AM

2,222 posts, read 1,392,777 times
Quote:
Whether is means anything is debatable, but the University of Texas is and always has been considered a "public ivy", since the term was coined.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Ivy

Old 06-05-2020, 08:02 AM

12,158 posts, read 7,985,265 times
I think the South has great universities, NC/FL/GA are all top of the line for public universities compared to MA/NJ/DE/RI/NH... but a huge anomaly to the North is NYS. NYS has the SUNY/CUNY system which is amazing. Its relatively inexpensive, provides quality education and leads you to huge job markets. I went to a SUNY, and literally everyone I know is working in Boston, New York City, DC, or in Upstate Cities for great companies. The North's public higher education system is not as good as the South's, but NYS has a fairly decent, almost as great, public higher education system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City