Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Let's say the cities were otherwise fairly similar: I'm talking typical cities in each region, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo vs Atlanta, Charlotte, Birmingham. Not the best or the worse in each region, but ones which are generally comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,805 times
Rust Belt cities all the way for me, personally. I lived in Charlotte already ... it's a pleasant city that is still a rising star of the south ... but, I prefer the far more cultured cities of the so called 'Rust Belt' that offer more in the way of cultural endowments ... fine museums, orchestras and uniquely urban city districts with some BIG CITY GRIT ... things
that are not common to most southern cities.

One reason I chose to come back to Cleveland is because it offers a distinctive 'look' and flavor that is a unique identifier ... not just another 'glossy looking city' with mirrored hi rise structures ... a common denominator in most southern cities.

The cities of the 'Rust Belt' developed and grew up in a guilded era ... which translates into magnificent and iconic architectural 'gems' in cities like Cleveland and Detroit, something that is very alluring to me.

Last edited by JohnDBaumgardner; 01-03-2011 at 11:13 PM..

Old 01-03-2011, 11:08 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times
Rustbelt!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:18 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,810,480 times
I grew up in a rust belt town (Utica, New York). While certain elements of them are horrible I found it to be a very good muse for my creative side. There are some cities in the south I could live in happily (New Orleans, Savannah, Louisville, Memphis) but on the whole I have to go with the rust belt. It has more soul than the recent boomtowns in the south.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:21 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times
Sunbelt for the main reason they are called "Sunbelt"; more sun shine. And Obvious reasons. Closer to beaches, generally more laid back and nicer people, and not as much snow as the rust belt cities. Would rather deal with heat.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
Rustbelt.

Many of the southern Sunbelt cities do not have enough character. They feel way too "cookie cutter."

(Exceptions to Savanah, GA; Charleston, SC, and New Orleans)

Plus, I NEED four seasons. I've recently lived 10 months without feeling winter or seeing snow and I think I started feeling slightly insane.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:02 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
If Texas is considered Southern then I choose the South.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Rustbelt.

Many of the southern Sunbelt cities do not have enough character. They feel way too "cookie cutter."

(Exceptions to Savanah, GA; Charleston, SC, and New Orleans)

Plus, I NEED four seasons. I've recently lived 10 months without feeling winter or seeing snow and I think I started feeling slightly insane.
I felt Old Man Winter last month when it was 25 degrees outside...that's about all I want to feel.

We have four seasons here contrary to what some may think. The trees were on fire with color back in the fall.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:31 AM

2,363 posts, read 5,202,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I felt Old Man Winter last month when it was 25 degrees outside...that's about all I want to feel.

We have four seasons here contrary to what some may think. The trees were on fire with color back in the fall.

I still don't know what four seasons feels like. We only have two; a short winter and one really long ass summer. Spring and Fall are pretty much like pre-and post summer lol.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 AM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,393,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
I still don't know what four seasons feels like. We only have two; a short winter and one really long ass summer. Spring and Fall are pretty much like pre-and post summer lol.
Florida definitely only has two....but they're called hot and not so hot lol j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City