Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in the south has the most "big city" feel?
Atlanta 93 27.84%
Charlotte 4 1.20%
Dallas 46 13.77%
Fort Worth 1 0.30%
Houston 94 28.14%
Jacksonville 1 0.30%
Memphis 4 1.20%
Miami 66 19.76%
New Orleans 23 6.89%
Oklahoma City 0 0%
San Antonio 2 0.60%
Tampa 0 0%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 12:24 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
How can someone's opinion be invalid you idiot. It's an opinion. People from the real south know what I mean by a real southern flair. The question asked about a "big city feel of the south." My response was if we are using geographical south, TX cities would win. But to me and many others, TX and big chunk of FL are not "the south."

Geographically, TX is the south (southwest to be specific).

Southern flair isn't diluted in GA,AL,SC,LA,TN, MS, NC, AR like it is in TX or FL. That's what I mean by "real south."

Atlanta is the largest city whose southern flair, like the state it resides in, hasn't been diluted like the cities of Miami, Dallas, and Houston. I'm here in TX from NC. Trust me, it does not feel like the south here. Most blacks I come across are like southerners I'm used to. A big % of whites in the rural areas and suburbs are like southerners. A large % of them are also mid westerners. But hispanics, urbanites, and TX transplants have diluted TX's southern flair to the point that it's lost whatever southern flair it once had. The southern influence is definitely in TX but I wouldn't consider it the state as a whole to be "southern." It's Texas. Like I wouldn't consider DC the south but definitely a region with southern influence. I've had some of the best southern cuisine in DC at the Capitol of all places.

Pensacola felt like the south, so did Atlanta, East TX, Birmingham, Jackson MS, Shreveport, Charlotte, Nashville, Memphis, Little Rock and Lake Charles.... Houston no, DFW no, Austin no, San Antonio no, Miami def not.
Next time you're in DC, check out Ooh's & Aah's on U Street. That's definitely one soul food restaurant in The City that I feel Southerners might fall heads over heels with The food isn't just good, it's the "sinfully good" kind of stuff! There's a good amount of stuff on their menu I'd definitely recommend, but if you like Mac and Cheese, please do get it.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:37 PM

641 posts, read 801,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I actually agree with you about the majority of Texas not feeling traditionally Southern, but I have no idea how anyone can say HOUSTON---of all the big Texas cities---does not feel Southern.
I could be wrong mentallect. I've only visited Houston a view times and that was to visit someone's house in the NW part of the city near the tollway. It didn't feel southern to me where I was at. Never been to the southern part of the city. I'll be in Houston on the week of Thanksgiving. I'll stay in a hotel within the inner loop so I can venture out and explore the city a little more. I guess I just assumed it wouldn't feel "southern" and that's based off of my limited experience and the fact Houston feels bigger than Dallas and Dallas does not feel traditionally southern at all.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Next time you're in DC, check out Ooh's & Aah's on U Street. That's definitely one soul food restaurant in The City that I feel Southerners might fall heads over heels with The food isn't just good, it's the "sinfully good" kind of stuff! There's a good amount of stuff on their menu I'd definitely recommend, but if you like Mac and Cheese, please do get it.
Nice! That brings a smile to my face!! Will do, thanks!

Old 11-08-2015, 01:07 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Nice! That brings a smile to my face!! Will do, thanks!
Any time If you go on a Friday or Saturday, it stays open til 4am (they stay open til 10pm most of the week and til 7pm on Sundays) but the line can stretch out the door and the wait time can be kinda long considering the heavy patronage and the small dining floor upstairs (it's like eight tables and a couple of booths). It's a hole-in-the-wall and it's decorated with memorabilia of past achievements, awards, and local, regional, and national celebrities from the music, film, radio, political, sports, and television industries. They'll call your name when they have a table available for you or if your take-out is ready. They'll also give you the time when your name will get called, so if it'll be a long wait you can kill time by exploring the neighborhood. I was gonna say that a lot of beautiful curvy and thick Sistas be in line too but almost forgot you already have a lady

Other menu items I'll recommend are the shrimp & grits (don't get it if you dislike sweet food tho), cabbage, sweet potato cake, and grilled shrimp. A lot of people seemed to have loved the hummingbird cake on account that it was sold out when I ordered it, the meatloaf too lol. A lot of people love their baby back ribs and fried chicken wings too.

Imma give you the link to their menus, they'll be on the left side of your screen when you click on the link

MENU

Old 11-08-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I was gonna say that a lot of beautiful curvy and thick Sistas be in line too

MENU

I'm not dead! LOL... I love DC, I'm sure I'll go back some time next year

Old 11-08-2015, 01:43 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
I could be wrong mentallect. I've only visited Houston a view times and that was to visit someone's house in the NW part of the city near the tollway. It didn't feel southern to me where I was at. Never been to the southern part of the city. I'll be in Houston on the week of Thanksgiving. I'll stay in a hotel within the inner loop so I can venture out and explore the city a little more. I guess I just assumed it wouldn't feel "southern" and that's based off of my limited experience and the fact Houston feels bigger than Dallas and Dallas does not feel traditionally southern at all.
This is precisely why your opinion is invalid.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This is precisely why your opinion is invalid.
Okay troll.. You first said that after I considered TX not to be the "real south." Your reasoning was bc Louisiana is close by. With that logic, DC is close so let's lump that in too.

What I'd consider as "real south" also coincides with the assumptions of many. I don't claim to be a know it all but I do know what's undoubtedly considered the real south. And that's the dark shaded states on the map. Everything else is debatable.

If anyone were to tell you the dark shaded states weren't "southern states," they'd be called an idiot by everyone. I wouldn't normally include a TX city in a poll asking about southern cities. Since OP included TX in his definition of "south," Houston, Dallas, Austin, SA can all be considered (which I chose Hou and Mia as the top two big cities). OP even included Oklahoma. None of those TX cities have the intense southern flair of the big cities in the dark shaded states. Not even Houston. It's simply a large southern influence in a not so southern like city. I've been to Houston a few times and it did not feel southern to me on the NW side. I can't go to any portion of the cities in the dark shaded areas without feeling that intense southern vibe.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:27 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Okay troll.. You first said that after I considered TX not to be the "real south." Your reasoning was bc Louisiana is close by. With that logic, DC is close so let's lump that in too.

What I'd consider as "real south" also coincides with the assumptions of many. I don't claim to be a know it all but I do know what's undoubtedly considered the real south. And that's the dark shaded states on the map. Everything else is debatable.

If anyone were to tell you the dark shaded states weren't "southern states," they'd be called an idiot by everyone. I wouldn't normally include a TX city in a poll asking about southern cities. Since OP included TX in his definition of "south," Houston, Dallas, Austin, SA can all be considered (which I chose Hou and Mia as the top two big cities). OP even included Oklahoma. None of those TX cities have the intense southern flair of the big cities in the dark shaded states. Not even Houston. It's simply a large southern influence in a not so southern like city. I've been to Houston a few times and it did not feel southern to me on the NW side. I can't go to any portion of the cities in the dark shaded areas without feeling that intense southern vibe.
I can already tell you there are portions of metro Atlanta that don't feel "intensely Southern" with so many transplants from other parts of the country residing there. Heck even Raleigh has lost its Southern accent according to linguistics experts. And while southern Louisiana is Southern, it definitely has its own thing going on with a huge Catholic presence, French influences, a distinct cuisine, etc.

The truth is, what we consider to be the cultural South doesn't adhere to state boundaries.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can already tell you there are portions of metro Atlanta that don't feel "intensely Southern" with so many transplants from other parts of the country residing there. Heck even Raleigh has lost its Southern accent according to linguistics experts. And while southern Louisiana is Southern, it definitely has its own thing going on with a huge Catholic presence, French influences, a distinct cuisine, etc.

The truth is, what we consider to be the cultural South doesn't adhere to state boundaries.
Yea, I'm from Raleigh NC and people in TX thought I was from the east coast when I first got here. I know NC is slowly losing it. As far as Atlanta, there is enough of Atlanta that still makes you feel its intense southern vibe. That's just not the case in TX. To me there's a difference between a city with an " intense southern vibe" vs a city with a "southern influence." I remember you said your visiting TX soon. Since you are from Atl (a real southern city), tell us what you think about TX after visiting. I'm interested to know your opinion on how it differs from your city and the big cities in those dark red states (besides NC).

Old 11-08-2015, 03:04 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Yea, I'm from Raleigh NC and people in TX thought I was from the east coast when I first got here. I know NC is slowly losing it. As far as Atlanta, there is enough of Atlanta that still makes you feel its intense southern vibe. That's just not the case in TX. To me there's a difference between a city with an " intense southern vibe" vs a city with a "southern influence." I remember you said your visiting TX soon. Since you are from Atl (a real southern city), tell us what you think about TX after visiting. I'm interested to know your opinion on how it differs from your city and the big cities in those dark red states (besides NC).
I'm not from Atlanta, but I used to live there and I recently visited Dallas. Although I was largely confined to the suburbs, the only thing that was different from comparable areas in suburban Atlanta was the landscape, terrain, and road network. They both give off more of an "anywhere USA" vibe than a Southern vibe.

By the way, what exactly do you mean by an "intense Southern vibe"? Maybe that should be defined first and foremost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City