Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in the south has the most "big city" feel?
Atlanta 93 27.84%
Charlotte 4 1.20%
Dallas 46 13.77%
Fort Worth 1 0.30%
Houston 94 28.14%
Jacksonville 1 0.30%
Memphis 4 1.20%
Miami 66 19.76%
New Orleans 23 6.89%
Oklahoma City 0 0%
San Antonio 2 0.60%
Tampa 0 0%
Voters: 334. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 05:06 PM

183 posts, read 249,393 times

Advertisements

Feel:

Miami
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas
New Orleans

Looks:

Miami
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
New Orleans

Old 11-02-2015, 07:42 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
I do not find Miami bigger than Houston in feel at all.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:36 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,068,399 times
Parts of Miami look like a big city but it is like a strip of Smaller buildings. Miami is also a little bit like Dallas in that it has three cores Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach and many smaller towns with grids that entered to enter the urban grid of Miami. These cores and the linear shape of the metro would/ can take away possible things that instead of something going to Miami it goes to Fort Lauderdale. My friend from Miami says he's from Fort Lauderdale as a general area and I have never here him consider himself from Miami, although hit may just be him. But when other ask us were we are from he replies Houston. Also I want to know if anyone really commutes from West Palm Beach to Miami or goes to that airport over the one near Fort Lauderdale for domestic (Inside the U.S) travel. IT is almost like the three counties have their own core city with suburbs. No city in Houston is like that except a few BOI from Galveston but even then it is mostly because Galveston is pretty removed from Houston's core and is the most urban node not in the city limits.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:41 PM

37,876 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Perhaps the "discrepancy" with Miami is that for some people, higher density equates to a big city feel and for others, it has to do with how extensive a metro is. Miami has the density but isn't as extensive because it's geographically constrained.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:30 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,394,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Feel:

Miami
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas
New Orleans

Looks:

Miami
Houston
Atlanta
Dallas
New Orleans

Of those five cities, three of them are usually noted among travelers as being dull and boring when the sun goes down. Suburban sprawl and the terrible daytime traffic that came with it isn't an indication of what feels more or less like a big city. L.A. doesn't feel more " big city " than Chicago despite being larger in every way.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Of those five cities, three of them are usually noted among travelers as being dull and boring when the sun goes down. Suburban sprawl and the terrible daytime traffic that came with it isn't an indication of what feels more or less like a big city. L.A. doesn't feel more " big city " than Chicago despite being larger in every way.
Surely you're not trying to convince people that New Orleans feels more like a big city over Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta? Because you'd be way out on a limb by yourself on that one.

And yes, suburban sprawl does lend itself to a place feeling bigger. Having lots of things for tourists to do? Not so much.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:59 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
I would assume this thread is about urban areas or even downtowns and adjacent neighborhoods. I certainly wouldn't recommend searching the suburbs for a big city feel anywhere, and that is where you would find "dull and boring", suburban sprawl, and the worst "terrible traffic". I think most people would look within the city or urban area to find a big city feel, so pointing out suburban shortcomings doesn't really apply here.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I would assume this thread is about urban areas or even downtowns and adjacent neighborhoods. I certainly wouldn't recommend searching the suburbs for a big city feel anywhere, and that is where you would find "dull and boring", suburban sprawl, and the worst "terrible traffic". I think most people would look within the city or urban area to find a big city feel, so pointing out suburban shortcomings doesn't really apply here.
I think the outlying business districts can contribute to a "big city feel," unless one simply means which city has a bunch of hustle and bustle downtown. As usual, these threads are subject to some interpretation.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:21 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,030,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think the outlying business districts can contribute to a "big city feel," unless one simply means which city has a bunch of hustle and bustle downtown. As usual, these threads are subject to some interpretation.
True...but for someone to bring up bland development and suburban sprawl/traffic issues when discussing which city has a more big city feel, he obviously isn't looking in the right places. But you can definitely get a big city feel in areas outside of the central city - just not too far outside.

Old 11-03-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
True...but for someone to bring up bland development and suburban sprawl/traffic issues when discussing which city has a more big city feel, he obviously isn't looking in the right places. But you can definitely get a big city feel in areas outside of the central city - just not too far outside.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City