Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greenwich vs Buckhead
Greenwich, CT 41 59.42%
Buckhead, GA 28 40.58%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,113,125 times

Advertisements

Ok, yea in that case perhaps along Ponce de Leon in Dekalb County, I would agree. Wasn't thinking in that direction, though (technically a separate county). That might be my favorite area of Atlanta, and it was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead.

Also, Ansley is the neighborhood north of the park, but it's pretty small and there are tons of neighborhoods in many many cities that are similar. The difference is that you can walk from your house in Ansley to a 50 floor office building in Midtown, whereas Rye is not in a "close-in" location like that and imo its houses are on larger lots and have different architectural styles. Ansley houses sit on quarter and half acre lots and there are tons of bungalows and more southern style porchfront homes mixed with about 50 other styles. Riverside, IL was the inspiration for Ansley Park (and Riverside was the first garden suburb, designed by Frederick Law Olmstead).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 01:18 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,767,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Ok, yea in that case perhaps along Ponce de Leon in Dekalb County, I would agree. Wasn't thinking in that direction, though (technically a separate county). That might be my favorite area of Atlanta, and it was designed by Frederick Law Olmstead.

Also, Ansley is the neighborhood north of the park, but it's pretty small and there are tons of neighborhoods in many many cities that are similar. The difference is that you can walk from your house in Ansley to a 50 floor office building in Midtown, whereas Rye is not in a "close-in" location like that and imo its houses are on larger lots and have different architectural styles. Ansley houses sit on quarter and half acre lots and there are tons of bungalows and more southern style porchfront homes mixed with about 50 other styles. Riverside, IL was the inspiration for Ansley Park (and Riverside was the first garden suburb, designed by Frederick Law Olmstead).
Ansley Park is also unique in that it is an Historic district and basically stops the business growth of Midtown in it's tracks in that direction. But for those that can afford to live there... It is a nice suburban neighborhood in walking distance of Midtown Atlanta.

On one street the houses backyards backup to wall of various buildings that are off of Peachtree St. north of Midtown.

If such a thing existed in Midtown Manhattan... I don't even want to begin to think of what those homes would sell for.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:34 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alleyne View Post
I'll take Buckhead. Greenwich would get the majority of the votes but if I were making Buckhead money then I'm good. If you're making money, it really wouldn't matter one way or another. I'd take Buckhead and would just fly to NY, fly to the top beach areas, fly if I want to go skiing. You get the point.
But you would have to plan. If you just wanted to see the latest play, form Greenwich you just hope on the plane. Also once you load up the Volvo wagon ( no extra bag charges) you can be skiing in a few hours. Can't do that in GA

Old 12-11-2011, 12:40 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Wow what a comparison... What's next, Forest Hills vs. Tysons Corner?

Old 12-11-2011, 04:10 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,247 times
No-one who is truly familiar (or marginally knowledgeable) about both Buckhead and Greenwich is going to be on the fence. They are entirely different locations and people will quickly have a strong preference.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:04 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
i would still rather live in GA over CT anyday ... "better" does not always mean "best" for the individual.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:19 PM

635 posts, read 1,509,365 times
Definitely would prefer Buckhead over Greenwich.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:25 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Buckhead, GA and Buckhead Atlanta is so not the same thing. There is actually a small city called Buckhead Georgia.

Buckhead, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Buckhead (Atlanta) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-12-2011, 02:02 AM

133 posts, read 236,406 times
Greenwich is definitely the more elite place to be. No point arguing it, but Buckhead is far more realistic and attracts a broader demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City