Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Greenwich vs Buckhead
Greenwich, CT 41 59.42%
Buckhead, GA 28 40.58%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,929 times

Advertisements

Am I making the same money? For the same salary, unless it was extremely high, I would pick Buckhead.

$740K in Buckhead buys a charming 1935 Tudor with 4BR/4BA including the guest house:
Real estate at 2727 North Hills Drive Atlanta GA - Property Details - MLS #2958730 - Realtor.com®

$725 in Greenwich gets me 1200 sq. feet, 4BD/1BA.
20 Pilgrim Drive Greenwich CT - Listing of a Home for Sale - Real Estate - MLS #S981344 - Realtor.com®

Nicely updated, but with the difference between the houses and taxes, I'm picking Buckhead.
Now if I can afford a multi-million dollar house and the taxes in either place, I might lean towards Greenwich, mainly for the proximity to the ocean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 08:18 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,644,714 times
Buckhead

Old 01-18-2011, 09:18 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,418,080 times
These places aren't really all that comparable and there are a lot of personal factors that would make either preferable. I think it is hard to argue that quality of life for the average person is better in Connecticut than Georgia.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:23 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
I think it is hard to argue that quality of life for the average person is better in Connecticut than Georgia.
Really? I would think the opposite would be hard to argue?

I mean, Connecticut is among the richest, best educated, healthiest, safest, and happiest states. Georgia is none of these things. In fact, Georgia ranks near the bottom on many factors (such as education, safety and health).

Why wouldn't an "average person" be better off (generally speaking, of course) in Connecticut?

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,769,052 times
I'll say Buckhead. I guess.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:29 PM

23 posts, read 31,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
These places aren't really all that comparable and there are a lot of personal factors that would make either preferable. I think it is hard to argue that quality of life for the average person is better in Connecticut than Georgia.
CT is a much nicer state than GA. Comparing these two regions, the people in and around Greenwich are more sophisticated, educated, in better shape, richer, the area is prettier/more elegant/more scenic and unlike Buckhead, it's on the water. I can't think of a single thing GA is better at except lower cost and "better weather" if you dislike cold.

..but they're both out of the price range of average people so I don't think cost would be a huge issue if you're looking to live in Greenwich or Buckhead.

Last edited by HONM; 01-18-2011 at 09:54 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 04:21 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
Really? I would think the opposite would be hard to argue?

I mean, Connecticut is among the richest, best educated, healthiest, safest, and happiest states. Georgia is none of these things. In fact, Georgia ranks near the bottom on many factors (such as education, safety and health).

Why wouldn't an "average person" be better off (generally speaking, of course) in Connecticut?
Wow, sorry.... if we could be a small state situated perfectly between NYC and Boston and full of NY suburban communities, then we too would probably have all sorts of good ratings.

Instead GA is a very large state full of alot of southern rural communities and well still lives with the scars of slavery that causes us to have lots of poor people and makes it hard to spend as much money in social services for everyone.

However, not every area in the state is bad... Buckhead is one of the richest places in the nation and in many respects is the Beverly Hills of the South and Atlanta in many respects has been a very successful city near many really good universities, is a really safe area, and plenty of hospitals and health services.

So if you want to be fair.... You kind of need to look at the actual area in question and not just say... eh GA is low in the education rankings.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:37 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,451,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Wow, sorry.... if we could be a small state situated perfectly between NYC and Boston and full of NY suburban communities, then we too would probably have all sorts of good ratings.

Instead GA is a very large state full of alot of southern rural communities and well still lives with the scars of slavery that causes us to have lots of poor people and makes it hard to spend as much money in social services for everyone.

However, not every area in the state is bad... Buckhead is one of the richest places in the nation and in many respects is the Beverly Hills of the South and Atlanta in many respects has been a very successful city near many really good universities, is a really safe area, and plenty of hospitals and health services.

So if you want to be fair.... You kind of need to look at the actual area in question and not just say... eh GA is low in the education rankings.
What you say is true...but US-Traveler is the one who initially brought up the Georgia > Connecticut topic. You're absolutely right that CT benefits from a great location. It also benefits from a smaller size. But no matter how you look at it, CT mops the floor with Georgia in things like education, health, etc. It isn't to say there aren't beautiful areas in GA (like Buckhead)...but there are tons of those poor, rural communities which you mentioned.

So the other posters were actually being fair when they compared GA to CT...your gripe is with US-Traveler.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:12 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,113,125 times
This seems to be a comparison of two wealthy areas/neighborhoods rather than a comparison of two states. Being in Buckhead, if one has ever actually been, you might think you're somewhere on the Main Line or in Fairfield County. It's very low density with large, old houses with long driveways. It looks almost identical to Greenwich in many areas except there aren't as many wooden/cedar shake homes as you would find in Fairfield County.

How do you compare the two? Who the hell knows. They are both neighborhoods that we should all strive to one day be able to live in (if that's what we want).

Also, being "in the city" of Atlanta could actually serve at least as many if not more benefits than being an hour from NYC or 10-20 minutes from Stamford. Some people in Greenwich make the commute, but from what I know of the community, it's usually people who move away from Manhattan or even Westchester (escaping NY state) to work from home or close to home up there. Commuting patterns in Buckhead are considerably different in this respect.

Both communities are seeing large brand new mansions that are completely out of character being built, but this seems to actually be more of a problem in Greenwich where many of the old, historic homes have been demolished for big old stucco things. Do we take this into context?

Old 01-19-2011, 05:10 PM

758 posts, read 1,960,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Some people in Greenwich make the commute, but from what I know of the community, it's usually people who move away from Manhattan or even Westchester (escaping NY state) to work from home or close to home up there. Commuting patterns in Buckhead are considerably different in this respect.
I really disagree. I think Greenwich commuting patterns are much more centralized than Buckhead commuting patterns.

I bet you a much higher proportion of Greenwich residents work in Manhattan than Buckhead residents work in downtown Atlanta.

Greenwich is only 40 minutes by train from Grand Central. It's considered a close-in suburb for NYC standards.

If you want to live in a wealthy work-from-home or semi-rural community, there are lots of options, like Bedford, NY or Ridgefield, CT. There's no reason to pay extra to live directly on the train line and the major highways to Manhattan if you aren't going to need them.

In contrast, I think lots of Buckhead residents work in places like Perimeter Center or in Buckhead itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City