Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times

Advertisements

America's Most Affluent Neighborhoods:

-01. Town of West Lake, Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex)

-02. Village of Kenilworth, Illinois (Chicago Metropolitan Area)

=03. Mission Hills, Kansas (Kansas City Metropolitan Area)

=03. Popponesset Island, Massachusetts (Boston Metropolitan Area)

-05. Village of Plandome, New York (New York Metropolitan Area)

-06. Village of Hewlett Neck, New York (New York Metropolitan Area)

-07. Village of Munsey Park, New York (New York Metropolitan Area)

-08. Village of Plandome Manor, New York (New York Metropolitan Area)

=09. North Beach, Florida

=09. Village of Chevy Chase Section Five, Maryland (Washington DC Metropolitan Area)

Source: Slide Show: America's Most Affluent Neighborhoods - No. 9 (Tie): Village of Chevy Chase Section Five, Md. - Forbes.com

My Thoughts:
- Wow at New York City
- Some of these names just sound weird

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 02:33 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANNYY View Post
America's Most Affluent Neighborhoods:

-01. Town of West Lake, Texas (Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex)

-02. Village of Kenilworth, Illinois (Chicago Metropolitan Area)

=03. Mission Hills, Kansas (Kansas City Metropolitan Area)

=03. Popponesset Island, Massachusetts (Boston Metropolitan Area)

-05. Village of Plandome, New York (New York Metropolitan Area)

-06. Village of Hewlett Neck, New York (New York Metropolitan Area)

-07. Village of Munsey Park, New York (New York Metropolitan Area)

-08. Village of Plandome Manor, New York (New York Metropolitan Area)

=09. North Beach, Florida

=09. Village of Chevy Chase Section Five, Maryland (Washington DC Metropolitan Area)

Source: Slide Show: America's Most Affluent Neighborhoods - No. 9 (Tie): Village of Chevy Chase Section Five, Md. - Forbes.com

My Thoughts:
- Wow at New York City
- Some of these names just sound weird

Your thoughts?

Saw this, isnt there only like 750 people in that Texas town - most seem like micro environments

Old 01-20-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Saw this, isnt there only like 750 people in that Texas town - most seem like micro environments
Yeah all of them are very small in population. Most of them have less than 5,000 people.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:57 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,371,023 times
Texas first
New York is very rich, it's confirmed !

Old 01-20-2011, 03:13 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Where is Windermere in Orlando?

Old 01-20-2011, 03:34 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Not on the list, I suppose.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
I think the neighborhood in Chevy Chase mentioned there is also the most densely populated census designated place in the nation.

Which shows you how absurd such polls are.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I agree.

I've never been a fan of such idiotic and subjective listings in the first place, however I will say there are great benefits for being featured or having places in your Metropolitan Area featured in such lists. Whether its deserving of or not.

Forbes is a national icon for ranking what the gullible Americans consider "the best of the best" and many people buy way too much into it, way to many people to even imagine. In fact I was going to the grocery store yesterday and some darn right ugly and tacky mainstream song with some fool came on the lyrics in the opening line were something like this, "I want to be a Billionaire... oh so very much, to be featured on Oprah and Forbes Magazine".

That just goes to show you how much people think polls and surveys as such have far more credibility. But there is no need to fret unless you're a target of the polls and surveys.

Cities get a wonderful, and I do mean absolutely wonderful opportunity at marketing themselves because of Forbes, its doing wonders in the marketing business and internet is like wildfire, its not just people in the United States seeing these lists but people from various places across the world see it.

Cities like Washington DC, Houston, New York City, Dallas, Raleigh, Omaha, & a few others are creating a revitalizing image for themselves, almost every single Forbes article in the past 3 years since the recession has featured these cities exclusively on various polls and surveys, and those polls and surveys show these things:
- Where in America there are prosperous places
- Where in America people are going (or should be at for opportunities)
- Where in America some great shopping assets are
- Where in America some great places to live are
- Where in America some great dining aspects are
- Everything else from economy, to housing, to tourism is featured by them in their "exclusive" articles

Cities are banking off of the marketing they get from Forbes, from the average and gullible Americans who view Forbes as a top notch credible source. Forbes doesn't even have to be anywhere close to accurate, but people will take considerable thought into it because they inadequately think its credible.

I say congratulations to each and every city on the list, they're selling themselves to the public via Internet Media & Marketing AND also not landing on negative type of lists but rather positive ones.

Kudos to Forbes on Marketing & the cities that are totally enjoying the positive feedback from Internet Poll Giants like Forbes

Old 01-20-2011, 05:26 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
I think the neighborhood in Chevy Chase mentioned there is also the most densely populated census designated place in the nation.

What does density have to do with affluence?

Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I don't think there's much benefit to being listed on this particular list. I suppose perhaps the people who live there look at it and think "oh, that just confirms that my neighbors are rich," but then again, they already know that. It doesn't make a difference as far as housing or economy or shopping: most of these "neighborhoods" are pretty small, and don't necessarily even HAVE shopping, businesses, or anything else other than some very wealthy residents. This is just another variation on the richest zip codes/richest towns/richest whatever else; it doesn't mean much, but people do like looking at lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City