Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area overall offers more?
Bay Area 80 28.07%
NYC 184 64.56%
Tie 21 7.37%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:08 PM

330 posts, read 877,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Vic... View Post
NYC subway:

BART:
LOL! What a huge difference!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 01:13 PM

330 posts, read 877,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
People who vote should explain their votes...
Dude it sounds like you have never left the Bay Area. Please take a trip to NYC and I guarantee you would regret creating this thread. NYC is just on a totally and completely different level than Bay Area. Don't feel bad, all other cities/metro areas are on a much lower level than NYC.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,746,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Dude it sounds like you have never left the Bay Area. Please take a trip to NYC and I guarantee you would regret creating this thread. NYC is just on a totally and completely different level than Bay Area. Don't feel bad, all other cities/metro areas are on a much lower level than NYC.

Yes, I have left the bay area. I've been to:

IL (Chicago)
IN (Gary)
FL (Miami & Gainesville)
DC
OK (OKC)
MO (KC)
MD (Baltimore)
NV (Las Vegas)
AZ (Phoenix)
VA

and NYC when I was five. I've been in every region of the country other than the south unless you count FL or northern VA.

How many of you have ventured out to the west coast? I'm assuming you have because of your username.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:18 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
What would be more reasonable, though still unfair in ways, would be to at least include the bits of Jersey right across the river (as one of the main airports and much of the shipping for NYC itself occurs there) along with Westchester County and the rest of Long Island. These places are as strongly tied, if not more so, to NYC as the Bay Area counties are to each other.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have left the bay area. I've been to:

IL (Chicago)
IN (Gary)
FL (Miami & Gainesville)
DC
OK (OKC)
MO (KC)
MD (Baltimore)
NV (Las Vegas)
AZ (Phoenix)
VA

and NYC when I was five. I've been in every region of the country other than the south unless you count FL or northern VA.

How many of you have ventured out to the west coast?
I had spent a good two decades in the West Coast hopping from (mostly) Los Angeles to pretty much every major metro on the West Coast. I live in NYC now.

So... does this make me the official authority?

Old 01-23-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
What would be more reasonable, though still unfair in ways, would be to at least include the bits of Jersey right across the river (as one of the main airports and much of the shipping for NYC itself occurs there) along with Westchester County and the rest of Long Island. These places are as strongly tied, if not more so, to NYC as the Bay Area counties are to each other.

Then include them. It doesn't make much of a difference as NYC is obviously the center of these areas you mention. The difference between the NY metro and the bay area is that SF is not the center of the bay... SF, Oakland and SJ are all the centers of their respective regions but they form a cohesive region that shares enough similarities that they should be grouped together (the bay area). The only similarities that these other areas you mention share with NYC is that NYC is where they work.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
I had spent a good two decades in the West Coast hopping from (mostly) Los Angeles to pretty much every major metro on the West Coast. I live in NYC now.

So... does this make me the official authority?

It would certainly make you an authority on LA.

I'm not claiming to be an authority on NYC... many of you, however, are claiming to be enough of authorities on the bay that you don't feel the need to actually make the argument for why NYC > the bay. The first 3 pages of this thread were nothing more than east coasters saying "yup, NYC's better."

Old 01-23-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
It would certainly make you an authority on LA.

I'm not claiming to be an authority on NYC... many of you, however, are claiming to be enough of authorities on the bay that you don't feel the need to actually make the argument for why NYC > the bay. The first 3 pages of this thread were nothing more than east coasters saying "yup, NYC's better."
Well, several months in the Bay Area and relatives and friends there. How about that? Shouldn't we be automatically suspicious of anything you say about NYC? I mean, how would you know not really having spent time there, right?

Old 01-23-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
The only similarities that these other areas you mention share with NYC is that NYC is where they work.
And where they live and move around. And where there family members are. And where they get their kicks. And what sports teams they root for. And what channels/stations they watch and listen to.

Seriously, what you said was pretty silly.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Well, several months in the Bay Area and relatives and friends there. How about that? Shouldn't we be automatically suspicious of anything you say about NYC? I mean, how would you know not really having spent time there, right?

Same reason you do... have relatives there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City