Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: City that most dominates its region:
Chicago for the Midwest 166 46.89%
Atlanta for the SE 68 19.21%
Boston for New England 120 33.90%
Voters: 354. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:46 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,875,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Not that I would move to Charlotte, but there is a significant difference in the cost of living and quality of life you can live in Charlotte vs Detroit that makes it more desirable I would imagine for a recent college grad.
Yeah....Charlotte is a lot more expensive than Detroit. But the quality of life is much better, I'll agree with you there. In the long-run, you have to think about income and job security over quality of life....at least most of us do.

The POINT is that Detroit and Cleveland aren't as stereotypically terrible as the data might suggest, and that Charlotte isn't the solution for most college grads either. It's a paradox of logical thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 09:09 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Yeah....Charlotte is a lot more expensive than Detroit. But the quality of life is much better, I'll agree with you there. In the long-run, you have to think about income and job security over quality of life....at least most of us do.
To me without a stable income and job security, then there is no need to talk about quality of life since without the those two items your quality of life will most likely suck no matter where you are.

Aside from that though, I applaud those who are moving in to cities like Detroit or Cleveland and trying to set down roots. Those cities have had a helluva time in the last 50 years and need a ton of intelligent, upwardly mobile citizens to come in and help build the central city up again. This becomes even more important when you compare what those cities once were and what they symbolized and what they have degraded into today. It's a national shame that we seriously need to get busy putting an end to.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:31 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Cleveland is a huge banking city as well. You don't seem to know what you're talking about. Charolotte and North Carolina have one of the higher unemployment rates in the country, largely due to the financial industry (9.7% and 10.4% respectively as of Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedMarch). Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedCleveland's unemployment rate is actually BETTER than the national average (8.2% as of March). Whether or not Cleveland is more popular than Charlotte for i-bankers doesn't matter when Cleveland actually, you know, hires more.

Here's a reason why people would graduate Wharton's MBA program to go to Detroit. The average income for a single employee is $46,900, and I couldn't find anything higher than $34,000 for Charlotte.

Ann Arbor, Chicago, Minneapolis-St. Paul set Midwestern salary pace | The Business Journals
How many investment banks are in Cleveland? Even towns like Omaha have clearing firms, which qualify as part of the "financial services" industry. There are also clearinghouses in Indiana, Augusta, and West Palm Beach, Florida. But they're not attracting MBAs from Wharton and Harvard.

In terms of transaction volume and deal complexity, Charlotte is crushing Cleveland. Charlotte also has a much more sophisticated legal community than Cleveland with firms like Cadwalader handling most of the M&As for the banks there. Cleveland, on the other hand, is a city that you would move to if you wanted to work in a small brokerage firm or in a Labor & Employment law firm busting up unions. Charlotte is not close to being on the same level as DC, Chicago, NYC or SF, but there's way more action and way more power players down there than in Cleveland.

Without even looking at the data, I can speak with a certain measure of confidence that metro Charlotte grew faster than metro Cleveland. You can check on that for me if you want.

Keep in mind that an individual is only considered unemployed if he or she is actively looking for work. I would not be surprised if Cleveland, which was not doing all that well even prior to the Great Recession, has a lot of people who have just dropped out the job market altogether. I'll look at BLS data if I have the time later on.

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 05:52 AM..

Old 05-12-2011, 12:01 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
When did Cleveland become a finance center?

Old 05-12-2011, 12:42 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
When did Cleveland become a finance center?
was wondering the same thing
the only bank i think that has a footprint was nat city
and were they acquired by pnc

Old 05-12-2011, 12:46 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:

The POINT is that Detroit and Cleveland aren't as stereotypically terrible as the data might suggest, and that Charlotte isn't the solution for most college grads either. It's a paradox of logical thinking.
Actually Detroits suburbs are pretty nice
I dont think its fair to say charlotte is nicer
what are you basing the info

Old 05-12-2011, 12:54 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
Boston? Really? Well now that I think about it there is no other "major city" in New England.
Exactly.Boston wins by a landslide.I mean Rhode Island,Maine, Connecticut,Vermont,and New Hampshire?Really?Bostons main competition is Providence?LOL.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:16 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
I get a kick when people think Atlanta "dominates" parts of Florida! Really? I live in central Florida now and I never hear anybody who mentions Atlanta at all! Atlanta has no political, cultural or economic influence in Florida period. In fact Orlando has very strong ties with Miami instead. Florida is it's own beast and we aren't dominated by a city that's as big as Miami itself!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:22 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I get a kick when people think Atlanta "dominates" parts of Florida! Really? I live in central Florida now and I never hear anybody who mentions Atlanta at all! Atlanta has no political, cultural or economic influence in Florida period. In fact Orlando has very strong ties with Miami instead. Florida is it's own beast and we aren't dominated by a city that's as big as Miami itself!
The bolded part above is where you are making a mistake about "dominance". That the only city that is on par with Atlanta in Florida is Miami. Granted, in central Florida Miami plays a larger role in "dominance", but Atlanta's can be "felt" that far south as far as logistics and transportation related businesses go.

It really doesn't matter if people ever talk about Atlanta or not where you are at. That's a trivial matter for any reason.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
War? I like Atlanta but many "boosters" in your city think they are the be all and end all of the South which isn't true. The ego is just huge and you never hear that type of boosterism from Miami and truth be told most people here think more about NYC or wherever they came from than Atlanta.
As far as business is concerned that maybe true but my point was the ATL doesn't have that strong of a influence in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City